Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NOISE FROM ELEVATING ROOF MOTOR

J

JDWB

Hello,
We have just come back from a nice holiday in Brittany. Whilst there I woke up in the middle of the night to what I thought was the elevating roof motor running. By the time I had come to my senses it had stopped and I thought I must have been dreaming. My wife then said she had been woken up by a wirring noise in the night. A couple of days later while we were having breakfast it did it again when we were both fully awake. Obviously the ignition was not on and the engine wasn't running. At this point I did start the engine and checked that the roof was going to go up and down without any problems which it did. It is now in at my local VW van centre and they are scratching their heads. Anybody got any ideas, had the same problem etc
Regards
Dave
PS Just in case its connected and might help ring a bell the Cali also suffered with an airbag error warning during the same fortnight. VW say they can't finf anything wrong with that either and just reset it!

The roof of the Cali SE is raised by hydraulic pressure which over time can lapse. There is a system in the Cali that will recharge this pressure automatically if the roof is left elevated for periods of time.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Just a thought but you may wish to ask your local Van centre to call Alex + SMG for expert advice :mrgreen:

Mine does the same thing - it is just the hydraulics for the roof and it keeps the pressure in the right place and the roof level raised flat and evenly. Like you, I wondered what was happening the first time it did it...!

Steve

Just for clarity I checked the manual for you.

Page 21 of the supplement

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 10.07.57.png

Mine does the same, however it always does it in the early hours of the morning :headbang

So now we have to remember to operate the ign key before going to bed in order to get a good ten hours sleep :lol:

Shaun said:
So now we have to remember to operate the ign key before going to bed in order to get a good ten hours sleep :lol:
Why do you need to do this ?

As Stu has said and showed, this is normal. Once the roof is up, it will check and adjust after ten hours and then every five hours after that.

cheers

Hello Everybody,
When I think about it it all makes sense. This is the first time has been raised for more than four days at a time(we stopped at the same site in Brittany for 9 days). All previous times the roof has been raised only for four days or a long weekend so probably no need for correction in that short time. Thanks very much for all your helpful posts.
Kind Regards
Dave

Thanks for this post. .. I can now go back to sleep.... I too had a scare during the middle of the night... hearing this noise and knowing my 4 yo daughter was fast asleep in the popup roof. .. are there any other treads I must read relating to this issue?

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Thanks for this post. .. I can now go back to sleep.... I too had a scare during the middle of the night... hearing this noise and knowing my 4 yo daughter was fast asleep in the popup roof. .. are there any other treads I must read relating to this issue?

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

It's not an issue. Normal operation. As described before, you could turn on the ignition (& off again!) just before going to sleep. That will give you 10 hours before it checks again

All
Once again thank goodness for this forum. A place to get answers when an issue arises. 0700 this morning, abroad and the roof motor makes that noise for the first time ever. A quick check of this forum............breath.........and relax

All
Once again thank goodness for this forum. A place to get answers when an issue arises. 0700 this morning, abroad and the roof motor makes that noise for the first time ever. A quick check of this forum............breath.........and relax

It's quite alarming the first time you hear the roof winding itself up :D