Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Elevating roof servicing

C

Cavilln

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all

My Cali is now 12 years old and while it has not been used for millions of overnights, the elevating roof is suffering.

The roof raises OK on first push of the control button (after the warnings come up) but then audibly strains towards the end. if I do nothing, it stops with the fabric still floppy. To be honest we have noticed that the fabric has not been as taught as newer Calis for a couple of years now but this is a new development. If I stand on the front seat and physically push the roof up while holding down the button (quite a feat actually.. ) then it gets to full elevation.

Then....when lowering it it often does not go down at all on pushing the button until I have tried to elevate it a little more. It is as if it has got stuck and needs to get un-jammed. Every camp overnight has now become a 'will it or won't it?' worry.

I always have the engine running when doing all this.

I am obviously anticipating it failing completely and want to avoid this. Any tips? I wonder if anyone knows either basic servicing jobs I might do myself or a dealer (I am near Stockport) who could take a look.

Thanks all!

Have you checked the joints and moving parts on the scissor mechanism, they might need a splash of WD40.

Hi,

After 12 years it could be that the hydraulic oil in the pump reservoir has fallen below the minimum level. This would prevent the roof raising fully and closing properly. The amount of oil in the system is quite small so very little leakage can have a significant effect.

There are various posts on topping-up the oil, but it isn’t a trivial process as the reservoir is hidden behind the control panel. I had this problem and the VW dealer diagnosed a faulty pump which is expensive to replace. However, on further investigation, the pump was OK, but the oil level was low. Unfortunately, it is still a bit costly to top-up the oil.

Could you describe the sound that the hydraulic pump generate? Could be low oil level in the reservoir. If you could shoot a video with audio when raising and lower the roof, I might be able to diagnose it.

I know it’s not logical for the oil level to drop if there isn’t a leak somewhere, but I’ve seen it. My theory is that those cars have had something repaired in the roof system, like an exploding hydraulic cylinder or something. Then they bled the system wrong or sloppy, resulting in low level in the reservoir. Worked at the time, but over time this border line low level become definitive low.

Bring it in at a decent VW California dealer (where did you go the last time?) , in the 12 previous years i do hope it's ever been looked at (the camping part&roof that is...)

^ If he did that they would charge for a new pump straight away and then
scratch their heads wondering what else it could be.
They would also remove the roof liner which takes a lot of time and then
after they fit it back it would be full of oily fingerprints.
Watching Emils videos could save a trip to the dealer.

Bring it in at a decent VW California dealer (where did you go the last time?) , in the 12 previous years i do hope it's ever been looked at (the camping part&roof that is...)
To be honest I don't think so. VW van centre in Manchester only service it as a Transporter - they do not seem to know anything about anything that happens behind the front seats! I am going to scour the dealers section now (but any recommendations welcomed)

Could you describe the sound that the hydraulic pump generate? Could be low oil level in the reservoir. If you could shoot a video with audio when raising and lower the roof, I might be able to diagnose it.

I know it’s not logical for the oil level to drop if there isn’t a leak somewhere, but I’ve seen it. My theory is that those cars have had something repaired in the roof system, like an exploding hydraulic cylinder or something. Then they bled the system wrong or sloppy, resulting in low level in the reservoir. Worked at the time, but over time this border line low level become definitive low.
thanks very much - I'll video it soon (do I just upload a file or send to you privately?)

To be honest I don't think so. VW van centre in Manchester only service it as a Transporter - they do not seem to know anything about anything that happens behind the front seats! I am going to scour the dealers section now (but any recommendations welcomed)

It says “decent VW California dealer”

thanks very much - I'll video it soon (do I just upload a file or send to you privately?)

I suggest uploading a file. There might be other people here that could listen and contribute. But if it’s not possible, then: Emil.silenhagATgmail.com
Make sure you get good sound in the recording, from the control panel area...

We have had three Californias serviced at Manchester van centre and all warranty work on the camping components have been attended to with complete satisfaction.

We have had three Californias serviced at Manchester van centre and all warranty work on the camping components have been attended to with complete satisfaction.
Thanks that is interesting. Could you tell me more? I am wondering: did you buy the Cali from them? And it sounds like you had some specific problems with camping components that were covered by the warranty? In my situation (older T5 bought elsewhere and out of warranty) I asked whether they could service the Cali as a camper and not just a T5 van and I have had repeated blank stares. I have also had bad experiences from taking my van to a caravan/campervan centre as they bodged a repair job using non-VW parts. advice welcomed as ever!

Thanks that is interesting. Could you tell me more? I am wondering: did you buy the Cali from them? And it sounds like you had some specific problems with camping components that were covered by the warranty? In my situation (older T5 bought elsewhere and out of warranty) I asked whether they could service the Cali as a camper and not just a T5 van and I have had repeated blank stares. I have also had bad experiences from taking my van to a caravan/campervan centre as they bodged a repair job using non-VW parts. advice welcomed as ever!
I’m not sure what you mean by “ service the Cali as a camper “. There are no Servicable items in the Habitation area ie: the Leisure electrics, Gas, water, bed or Roof Hydraulics . The Roof Hydraulic System is sealed for life. You could have a Gas Check, any Caravan Centre can do that, but it is not a service.
Your Roof System seems to have a fault, either the Hydraulic Pump or a leak of fluid that has not yet revealed itself.
Have you checked the Control Panel for any stored Diagnostic Codes?

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

I’m not sure what you mean by “ service the Cali as a camper “. There are no Servicable items in the Habitation area ie:

I think he just mean that he wants to find a Vw dealer / mechanic that actually have knowledge about the California part of the vehicle. I have had the same problem in Norway. The official Vw dealer (Møller bil) which is one of the premium premium dealers in Norway, they don’t know annnyyything about California. In theory the should have access to the same equipment and knowledge as Vw in Germany.
That’s one reason for why I became a hobby mechanic my self...

I think he just mean that he wants to find a Vw dealer / mechanic that actually have knowledge about the California part of the vehicle. I have had the same problem in Norway. The official Vw dealer (Møller bil) which is one of the premium premium dealers in Norway, they don’t know annnyyything about California. In theory the should have access to the same equipment and knowledge as Vw in Germany.
That’s one reason for why I became a hobby mechanic my self...
But the point of my post is - If you phone up and ask " Can you Service my Roof System, or Service my Gas Cooker then the answer will be No. If you phone up and say you have a problem with the Roof then you are likely to get a different answer or a referral to another Dealership.
So you have to ask the right question.
As I said, there are no Serviceable systems in the Habitation Area only faults and repairs.

But the point of my post is - If you phone up and ask " Can you Service my Roof System, or Service my Gas Cooker then the answer will be No. If you phone up and say you have a problem with the Roof then you are likely to get a different answer or a referral to another Dealership.
So you have to ask the right question.
As I said, there are no Serviceable systems in the Habitation Area only faults and repairs.
Both the Eberspacher and Webasto diesel heaters (standard in UK Oceans) have recommended service intervals that VW choses to ignore. Its almost as if they don't know/or care what components are included in the vehicles they sell.

Both the Eberspacher and Webasto diesel heaters (standard in UK Oceans) have recommended service intervals that VW choses to ignore. Its almost as if they don't know/or care what components are included in the vehicles they sell.

Exactly what popped up in my mind to. Same thing in Norway. I had problem with my auxiliary heater last winter. Went to my official Vw dealer. They didn’t want to touch it or even think about it. So I went to a electro auto service shop, that advertised to have a lot of knowledge about Webasto. They said my Webasto Air Top 3500ST was ruined and wanted to install a brand new one at the cost of 2500 euros. So I did what I always do, went home and study about the problem. Turned out that my heater only needed the recommended service, that is replacing the burner and glowplug. Did that my self, cost 270 euros. Everything now works fine. Also bought my self Rosstech VCDS...

@WelshGas , at CCN Amersfoort they do service the habitation area .
Things like the roofmecanism hinges , roof canvas, rollerblinds , wadrobe shutterblinds , coocker ,gasvalve sink ,.... they all do a check up on and the mecanic comes to ask if things like a rip in the canvas needs repair with tear-aid , a gasvalve has a expiredate , ...ect
For instance the last time they tentiont a few window roller blinds .
They showed me the checklist

@WelshGas , at CCN Amersfoort they do service the habitation area .
Things like the roofmecanism hinges , roof canvas, rollerblinds , wadrobe shutterblinds , coocker ,gasvalve sink ,.... they all do a check up on and the mecanic comes to ask if things like a rip in the canvas needs repair with tear-aid , a gasvalve has a expiredate , ...ect
For instance the last time they tentiont a few window roller blinds .
They showed me the checklist
Unfortunately that is not the case in the U.K. and I think you will find that is not VW policy but something that CCN undertake themselves. Wish it was VW policy or we had someone like CCN in the U.K..

I suggest uploading a file. There might be other people here that could listen and contribute. But if it’s not possible, then: Emil.silenhagATgmail.com
Make sure you get good sound in the recording, from the control panel area...
Hi again. Sorry for the delay but I have been away in the Cali to Scotland. Lovely. Anyway here is a short movie that I hope shows the horrible sounds my roof makes. Thanks!

@Cavilln , i think there's not enough oil in the system and air is instead....

Also noticed a diffrent warningsound as on my T5 but guess thats a new T6 sound then the controlpanel makes ?

Thanks. Mine's a T5. 2006

Never heard that warningsound ....or was it some backgroundnoise ? Phone ?
Ps: fill in your verhicle details in your personal detail so it shows under your avatar , much more relative info can be given by knowing this

Back