Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

North Norway / Finland Proposed meet up September 2021

Thank you @Niborn for the updates. A few questions please
- you had earlier mentioned that dates closer to the Equinox is preferred for best Northern lights viewing. The September Equinox is 22nd Sept. Is my assumption right that a few weeks after that also it is fine?
- the accommodation that you mention - are you able to share the location please?

Hi, Two Questions from NZ - why are you staying in a hotel like accommodation when you have your van? 2nd question - who or what is RCI? We would like to join the trip time and Covid permitting. Our van lives in Holland very lonely at present.
Regards
Mark & Sheila Masters

Thank you @Niborn for the updates. A few questions please
- you had earlier mentioned that dates closer to the Equinox is preferred for best Northern lights viewing. The September Equinox is 22nd Sept. Is my assumption right that a few weeks after that also it is fine?
- the accommodation that you mention - are you able to share the location please?

Hiya Kurienup, that is right the equinox is considered about the best time to see the lights , more frequent and more powerful, longer displays, near to it, especially when nights get longer are normally also good. One big other factor are the clouds of course , the less clouds the better . It is all a sort of balance with a lot of luck thrown in. Generally the colder it gets the less clouds there are and Finland begins to get colder then, but still possible to easily drive around , so not too cold days but hopefully fresh clear nights. We have seen a lot of great lights October and November . Overall I personally, because of all these things, would not be there, the North that is, to see lights before Equinox.

This club site is the the most far North of its type ( I think ) in Europe.

I have been there I think 4 times

Ivalo in my opinion ,which is nearby, offers one of the best locations ( can drive out or walk out from the accommodation ) to rest up and go see the lights from along with Alta in Norway . Both have decent shopping for food and other stuff.

If any of you belong to RCI you can change your timeshare week at this place or buy a week in a nice lodge , with Sauna , for about £349, otherwise it is about double booking direct

Best wishes R

Last edited:
Hi, Two Questions from NZ - why are you staying in a hotel like accommodation when you have your van? 2nd question - who or what is RCI? We would like to join the trip time and Covid permitting. Our van lives in Holland very lonely at present.
Regards
Mark & Sheila Masters
Hiya Mark and Shelia ,

Lucky you two to be in safe NZ !! .

It is a choice I think , when I do a long trip like this I like to have some time of relative luxury once and a while. Especially the Sauna . I like it there.... it is very relaxed and a good base to make trips from to see the lights . In this area it is also hard to find good camping with nice showers . Of course a few days in the wild is fine but I like after some days a hot shower etc.

We all hope Covid allows the trip , we are starting ourselves to make bookings because options this year are less as a lot of people are in any case holidaying in their home countries. Availability in the RCI club around all of Europe is far far scarcer than usual and also other booking sites .

Given the success of the vaccination data ( my wife and I had the AZ almost three weeks ago and our next jab is May 20th ) the probability of a vaccination and negative test pass in Europe make the odds appear to be favourable that the trip is on.

Yes we too have not use our Cali much the last 18 months and I took out the 5 year extended higher mileage guarantee when I bought it thinking we would be touring a lot , LOL !!

This trip will add 10k KM or more , but then it will be 4 years old and I think still less than 45K miles on the clock . What a shame it is.

Hope you both can make the trip X

We went on the 12 day round trip on Hurtigruten in Novembet a few years ago. Absolutely fsbulous and the looked at putting the Cali on one way. Horrendous price so drove instead.
I was trying to do the same but the operator at hurtigruten said we could not take the cali on the ferry due to the gas cannister? I would still like to do it but probably not till next year.

We , my wife and I , been vaccinated and now we are looking again at the routes for this trip and sites to stop at , as we make bookings I will keep you informed .
So far we have only booked accommodation in Finland 1 week at a club which we know and like, it has excellent facilities and food shops near , easy Northern Light watching nearby.. W/B the 23rd of OCT , we are think about some more time there too. There is limited availability this year it seems, if anyone is interested you can book directly with the club and try and get these prices which is very cheap through RCI, about half the advertised price I think.
I took this picture there, often the colours seem stronger at this location , it might be something to do with the way the lights appear and the quantity of nitrogen which makes the lights look blueish purple.
Best wishes to all ..

View attachment 75800
1 Bedroom Full4/2 Max Occupancy/PrivacySat 23-Oct-2021 toSat 30-Oct-2021GBP 329.00
cracking shot..

Bumping this thread up as just another month-ish to go. @Niborn , would you know of anyone from the UK who has made it past the Finland/Norway border up North?

The rules, as with all countries are quite vague. Have delayed booking the train to Rovaniemi. Only the ferry from Travelmunde to Helsinki, which has an option to postpone twice without any penalty.

About a month to go ... so still watching and waiting ... otherwise - for this year - Switzerland, here we come :)

Bumping this thread up as just another month-ish to go. @Niborn , would you know of anyone from the UK who has made it past the Finland/Norway border up North?

The rules, as with all countries are quite vague. Have delayed booking the train to Rovaniemi. Only the ferry from Travelmunde to Helsinki, which has an option to postpone twice without any penalty.

About a month to go ... so still watching and waiting ... otherwise - for this year - Switzerland, here we come :)
We are traveling to Finland from Germany next Wednesday. Travemunde to Hensinki and then lake house in the mid east.

If anyone interested can update this thread with how it went.

We have the ferry from Travemünde to Helsinki Thursday night (Friday morning), arriving Saturday morning next week.

@LCD , @bvddobb , if you are kind enough to report back on any checks at the Finland/Norway border please. Also, if you can ask them if they have instructions to accept the UK vaccine certificate please.

Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi everyone...

Just a quick nod to say I'm about to leave in a few days to work my way up North. I expect to be at the Norwegian North Cape in about a months time if anyone finds them selves with free time and wants to meet up.

On route key stops are Lofoten, Tromso and Alta before ending up in Skarsvag.

Hi everyone...

Just a quick nod to say I'm about to leave in a few days to work my way up North. I expect to be at the Norwegian North Cape in about a months time if anyone finds them selves with free time and wants to meet up.

Hey Robin, we are also starting our journey ... but on a much shorter timeline. Starting Thursday and return mid Oct. Ferry to Helsinki, Train to Rovianiemi, then Nodkapp, Tromso ... the usual touristy places and some off the beaten track as well. ... and hope to enjoy the scenery, get in a few walks and catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights when there.

You are the one who got us all excited about the possibilities and how to do it on a shorter time frame. Thank you so much for all your inputs.

Have a great trip. Enjoy. Maybe catch up some other time :thumb

Hey Robin, we are also starting our journey ... but on a much shorter timeline. Starting Thursday and return mid Oct. Ferry to Helsinki, Train to Rovianiemi, then Nodkapp, Tromso ... the usual touristy places and some off the beaten track as well. ... and hope to enjoy the scenery, get in a few walks and catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights when there.

You are the one who got us all excited about the possibilities and how to do it on a shorter time frame. Thank you so much for all your inputs.

Have a great trip. Enjoy. Maybe catch up some other time :thumb
Hey, this is great news, so exciting. The train up sounds fun, please keep us posted. I think we will be in Tromso around the 8th of October in case you are there then? We travel with one other Cali.
Yes hope we catch up, good luck safe journey

Hi everyone...

It's so beautiful up there, we went about 20 years ago and had a fantastic time, hope you catch the northern lights.

Hi, We are looking to do this trip this year 2022 as being from NZ we can finally travel. Will be landing in Amsterdam where our Cali is stored around Sept 1st and will have three months so plenty of time for a leisurely trip.
We are interested to find out if there is anyone else are planning the same so could link up some where.
We have a 204 with 4 motion so well equipped for such a venture.
Cheers
Mark and Sheila Masters

Back