Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Northern Lights 2017 in Lapland

It's on my list too, love to join but difficult to commit at the mo.

Seem them in Iceland but would definitely consider this depending on timing.
Judging by the look of your T5 in your profile picture looks like you would be of immense help to the convoy in advising those who haven't been in those kind of conditions in their Cali , certainly me , I might know something of Lapland and the lights but I am a Cali newbie . Here is the picture of the 4 x 4 Ford Kuga in Finland on my last trip,generally much colder conditions in Finland than Norway at around -35c the Kuga was great though . I am looking forward to see how the Cali will perform and what if any special things we will all have to take care of.

Icy kuga.JPG

I was actually there BC (Before Cali) and met up with a photographer friend of mine for some over night adventures. It was the the beginning of Jan 2015. I would not hesitate to go again, and by Cali, it's just a very long way and we don't get enough holidays in Switzerland!
Daily temperatures were between 0 to 6°C and at night -6 to 0°C. In comparison we went to the tri-border of Norway, Finland and Sweden and it was -21°C at midday.

Northern lights impressions:
upload_2016-11-8_9-8-41.png
upload_2016-11-8_9-11-2.png

I was actually there BC (Before Cali) and met up with a photographer friend of mine for some over night adventures. It was the the beginning of Jan 2015. I would not hesitate to go again, and by Cali, it's just a very long way and we don't get enough holidays in Switzerland!
Daily temperatures were between 0 to 6°C and at night -6 to 0°C. In comparison we went to the tri-border of Norway, Finland and Sweden and it was -21°C at midday.

Northern lights impressions:
View attachment 17571
View attachment 17572

These are GREAT pictures and representative in my view of what we will see , even after many trips I'm yearning again to go. My wife only went three times and said at the end of the last trip , we stayed 17 days in one rural location that time and saw lights , long shows , most lights , she said that's enough now but less than a year later she can't wait to go back . Those lights and the setting are magical for sure , sure you will agree photos are great although don't match the amazing experience of standing underneath them . Our experience is first time people see a big display they often scream with excitement . It would be great if a good few club members could experience that feeling .

So thinking about what you said (and my wife is in the same situation still working ) I wonder if some people could fly up and maybe share or swop a Cali ? Perhaps that's a daft idea ?

As you know the conditions up there do you think one would want to or could stay in the Cali the whole time , or would you mix it with a few places to stay and use the Cali for the trip up and cosy viewing base ?

In the latter case those who could drive up could help the others by sharing the Cali maybe ?

It's not the same as doing it in your own one I know but the experience would be there .

What do you think ?

IMG_0080.JPG

Great pictures.

Definitely on our list of things to do, just need VW to build the Cali first, we expect delivery March time next year, so would be interested in joining a trip late 2017
We're in exactly the same boat as cali ali! I'm watching this thread with hope for this time next year!

I've posted this before.. but perhaps I can do it again. If you have the time (days) but prefer not to drive all the way up and back, an option can be to take the ferry Travemunde(Germany) -> helsinki, then put the cali on the night train to lapland. Takes a couple of days in total but much less driving.
A route like this http://www.noordeuropa.nl/reizen/finland/noorwegen/noordkaap-lofoten-en-lapland-eigen-auto/
(sorry in dutch - google translate link https://translate.google.com/transl...ten-en-lapland-eigen-auto/&edit-text=&act=url )
Day 0 arrive in Travemunde, embark in the evening on the ferry
Day 2 morning: Helsinki, day visit
Day 2 evening: embark night train
Day 3 morning: lapland (e.g. Rovaniemi)
It's not really faster, but more relax (and of course, a bit more expensive).

I've posted this before.. but perhaps I can do it again. If you have the time (days) but prefer not to drive all the way up and back, an option can be to take the ferry Travemunde(Germany) -> helsinki, then put the cali on the night train to lapland. Takes a couple of days in total but much less driving.
A route like this http://www.noordeuropa.nl/reizen/finland/noorwegen/noordkaap-lofoten-en-lapland-eigen-auto/
(sorry in dutch - google translate link https://translate.google.com/transl...ten-en-lapland-eigen-auto/&edit-text=&act=url )
Day 0 arrive in Travemunde, embark in the evening on the ferry
Day 2 morning: Helsinki, day visit
Day 2 evening: embark night train
Day 3 morning: lapland (e.g. Rovaniemi)
It's not really faster, but more relax (and of course, a bit more expensive).
Thanks very much , very interesting as an option and worth looking into.....( Dutch is OK for me - but not a lot of others I think ! LOL )

From friends in Sweden, I understand there are also local laws regarding when studded tyres are allowed and not allowed. Clearly some planning is required for a this journey in winter but what an experience!

Regarding sleeping in Cali, I have regularly used the eberspacher night heater in our insulated T4 down to -10c oustside temp and it's been as warm toast inside - although we did keep the roof down. Does anyone have similar sub zero experience in the Cali?

We have heard the stories too, that supposedly one can rent studded tyres for the duration of one's trip, have them changed upon arrival, leave one's own tyres with the tyre shop, and have them changed back upon leave. We have read stories (on a now dead blog) about people driving off the boat in Kristansand to a local garage, have their wheels changed and three weeks later have them changed back again before boarding the ferry back.

Nice idea. But on line we can find no evidence whatsoever that that is (still) possible, i.e. we cannot find any tyre shop, garage, what have you that seems to be offering such service, or where one could book, anywhere in Scandinavia...

If anyone here knows of such a shop, garage, whatever, offering such a service we would be most obliged to learn the name and address!

Last edited:
No legal requirements for chains in sweden, I have never heard about it in norway either.
Legal requirements are winter tites marked with m+s during winter season.
Studded tires are not a legal requirement.

No legal requirements for chains in sweden, I have never heard about it in norway either.
Legal requirements are winter tites marked with m+s during winter season.
Studded tires are not a legal requirement.
That's what I have gathered too so far ,, however my friends in Tromsø say they all drive with studded tyres but we should be ok with good winter tyres (as it will be very expensive for one trip ) with great care and my friends around Bergen say winter tyres without studs should be ok and point out it's rather more a question of driving style . I don't actually know what a set of studded tyres would cost for a17" wheel x4 .. will find out , Perhaps I could buy a set and leave it for others after our trip ? Seems there could be a demand .

Kave, I understand there are certain dates, roads and conditions where studded tyres are NOT allowed so they may not be appropriate for the entire journey and not easy to predict when or where they should be fitted.

However, I've heard chains may be a good option for us tourists as they can be fitted or removed whenever conditions dictate. What would you suggest?

Thanks for the inspiration...would love to make this trip one year. Will keep a keen interest on plans and future trips.

Would be interested in joining the convoy, depending on how the tyre situation is resolved.
Can you keep us in the loop.?
Any idea how many you were thinking of having in the group?

Hi Debcel, thanks for the interest ...a rambling and probably bit over detailed reply now sorry ....

I've been think further about the tyres , which is as much to do of course with the weather as anything . On this point One thought I've had is that as the Aurora actually happens all year we don't have to go in the worst of the winter . It's seems ( to me at least ) rather romantic to be camping in the snow perhaps broken up by some stays to refresh in cosy cabins , but in reality the weather can be truly more than a challenge . Up until now if it turned into a blizzard , which it did on two of my last trips , we waited indoors and watched episodes of "24 " for 3 days or so . So to avoid the worse weather we could be up there around the autumn equinox and later nights are dark and historically for unknown reasons Aurora activity at that time is normally very good . It was outstanding this year . Then surely we would have a safe bet with just winter tyres , probably cold , possibly an early snow in some places and possibly later on in October icy sometimes if it melts and freezes .

I think this was winter tyres might work for everyone . All season won't do .

About numbers later on when a real plan is offered then I guess we will know . Seems to be strong interest , I'd guess at this moment 5 to 8 calis actually do it . Seems like it could be a rather special event ...Perhaps VW might like a blog to promote the Cali and I was wondering too if we could get some sponsorship to help ? Tyres change ? Maybe Just giving page to raise money for disadvantaged Children ?

If we did a Lapland tour Norway and Finland ( there's a kinds of Northern Light route ) I think we would have to be sure we could all stay ( for those who would want to have a break from their Cali ) at some of the accommodation I'm thinking of . I mentioned before places like the holiday club near Ivalo would be ideal and in Lyngen Fjord the Magic Mountain Inn , Alta , there's a few cosy good value hotels on the bay , Hammerfest I've got old friends who might be able to fix a group,thing up and near Tromsø , in this area :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvaløya_(Tromsø)

there are some houses to rent in fabulous locations where many can stay over if need be at a sensible price .

A too big group (more than 12 to 16 ) would make this above hard to fix up successfully plus too many people might ruin the tranquility of the nights watching lights . So five vans sounds like a good bet .

No one has to stay anywhere but in their Cali especially in Norway as it's free camping , I'm new to this but I'd think a hot shower and full kitchen will be appreciated too sometimes.

Re time to go :also I'm a bit hampered knowing when exactly I'll get my Cali , hoping 8 month will do it max ? because probably due to a lucky break I've just managed to secure a much better deal ( saved lots ) on a new Ocean 204 4 motion 2017 with lots of bits and bobs but my waiting time increased months . Hope it doesn't put the trip back .

Once again sorry for ramble ...

I think that your idea on timing is probably a good idea. My experience of driving in winter is that good snow tyres (not just M & S) would be generally OK. With chains available then I think it should be possible to get pretty much anywhere that you would with studs, possibly better in some circumstances as the chains usually have a greater depth than studs.
As studded tyres are actually illegal here in the UK it would mean either carrying a separate set of wheels with studded tyres (not really a practical option) or getting them changed over once in Scandanavia which would mean extra expense.
I guess it's more convenient to have studs rather than having to put chains on but modern chains are really easy to use. Possibly a full set of studs would be better in really icy (rather than just snowy) conditions but I gues if it's like that we wouldn't be wanting to drive around anyway.

I do agree . I'm nervous about chains though as I damaged a tyre once very quickly. Maybe there are better chains these days very easy to put on. Btw do you have diff lock ? If so do you every use it ?

Yes, got diff lock. Only ever needed to use it twice though but it did get the van moving again.

Back