Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway

I’m pointed at Norway next year, can I enquire how far you went and indeed any highlights/tips?

We've had two trips but neither with the van. I think that will be when we retire!
It is a beautiful country for this who appreciate the great outdoors.

I’m pointed at Norway next year, can I enquire how far you went and indeed any highlights/tips?
Hi Simo, we’re still heading north ! Starting from Rotterdam we took the ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand and visited Preikestolen, Bergen and the main fjords. All local ferries are “turn up and go” (typically 150NOK each time), longer fjord ferries are bookable on line. We’ve used Gudvangen to Kauperanger and Hellesylt to Geiranger both booked the day before and are to be recommended. The Trollstigen is fabulous. The Visitnorway website is a good place to start, from here you can buy excellent detailed maps of the entire coast line complete with guide book. We also bought “Camping in Norway” from the same site which has so far proven to be most useful. There’s also an app called Camper contact which shows places to park overnight for free, this has also been useful. Roads are excellent, fuel is a similar price to the uk but food and alcohol is expensive - 500 NOK for two portions of fish and chips in Bergen- that’s about £50 ! There’s a multi-storey car park near the railway station in Bergen that easily accommodates Californias- although nerve wracking!
We pre-registered our Cali on the Euro Parking Collection website to cover the toll roads.
We’ll definitely get as far north as the Arctic circle, hopefully the Lofoten islands too.
Haven't yet met anyone who doesn’t speak English. Best advice is to get over here, the people are friendly and the country is spectacular. Enjoy.

Plenty of information here. I’m going back to Knordkapp next year.

Best advice is to get over here, the people are friendly and the country is spectacular.
We found Norwegian's in general to be reserved and formal, more so than Germans. However, we preferred that to the embracing and kisses of Southern Europe and the Balkans.

The country is truly spectacular.

Hi Simo, we’re still heading north ! Starting from Rotterdam we took the ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand and visited Preikestolen, Bergen and the main fjords. All local ferries are “turn up and go” (typically 150NOK each time), longer fjord ferries are bookable on line. We’ve used Gudvangen to Kauperanger and Hellesylt to Geiranger both booked the day before and are to be recommended. The Trollstigen is fabulous. The Visitnorway website is a good place to start, from here you can buy excellent detailed maps of the entire coast line complete with guide book. We also bought “Camping in Norway” from the same site which has so far proven to be most useful. There’s also an app called Camper contact which shows places to park overnight for free, this has also been useful. Roads are excellent, fuel is a similar price to the uk but food and alcohol is expensive - 500 NOK for two portions of fish and chips in Bergen- that’s about £50 ! There’s a multi-storey car park near the railway station in Bergen that easily accommodates Californias- although nerve wracking!
We pre-registered our Cali on the Euro Parking Collection website to cover the toll roads.
We’ll definitely get as far north as the Arctic circle, hopefully the Lofoten islands too.
Haven't yet met anyone who doesn’t speak English. Best advice is to get over here, the people are friendly and the country is spectacular. Enjoy.
£50 for fish and chips for 2........there are five of us!!!!

It’s expensive for sure, especially when compared to pound land Britain.

I need to get into Norway more, spending too much time in the Swedish forests which are not on the same level as Norway’s beauty.

Living in Norway the last six years, five in Bergen, 1.5 now in the far north.

Great place for a VW Cali. Can more or less find a great view to camp at anywhere you choose to stop. Yea, things are a bit pricey, but just shop at the grocery stores. It’s decent enough prices. 250 NOK for fish and chips is expensive, sounds like tourist fish market prices. Local quick food shops usually will land between 90-175 NOK.

Everyone speaks English. Everyone.

I’d recommend driving up north, checking out Lofoten - but don’t forget to go to Senja. It’s less traveled and perhaps more beautiful. Check out Ersfjordstranda (or any location in the west/north of Senja. Great hikes, great beaches, great views.

If you need any almost local tips, give a shout.

Great place for a VW Cali. Can more or less find a great view to camp at anywhere you choose to stop. Yea, things are a bit pricey, but just shop at the grocery stores. It’s decent enough prices. 250 NOK for fish and chips is expensive, sounds like tourist fish market prices. Local quick food shops usually will land between 90-175 NOK.

I’d recommend driving up north, checking out Lofoten - but don’t forget to go to Senja. It’s less traveled and perhaps more beautiful. Check out Ersfjordstranda (or any location in the west/north of Senja. Great hikes, great beaches, great views.

Many thanks, will give Senja a visit if there’s time.

I think the best day of our cycling trip was the day crossing Senja. Bright sunshine and warm as stunning as Lofoten but quieter. Will definitely be back.

20190808_141545.jpg

Western and even Southern Norway is kinda better. I don't recommend firstcomers going above Trondheim. Boring E6 and more driving than looking around ;)
Been here last 6 years 5-6 months a year. Sadly getting heavily overrun by tourists last couple seasons which doesn't make locals too happy.
If you need any info I think we know this country better than most locals now :)

Spent the best part of three weeks in Norway this summer it was fantastic, weather in June was great. Sailed Hirtshals to Bergen, that in its self was a brilliant taster of what was to come scenery wise. Roads are perfect for a California....

IMG_6940.JPG

Spent the best part of three weeks in Norway this summer it was fantastic, weather in June was great. Sailed Hirtshals to Bergen, that in its self was a brilliant taster of what was to come scenery wise. Roads are perfect for a California....

View attachment 50319
That looks a great campsite, how much was it for a night in June?

I think from memory it was around 28/30 pound a night for two with hook up, fantastic facilities...Briksdal Glacier

0E39606F-5ECD-4726-99C0-B6781F236F2C.jpeg

Any good ‘wild camping’ spots you can recommend from your time in Bergen? Within an hour or so from the city. We have been to Austevoll a lot, but are looking for new spots.

Any good ‘wild camping’ spots you can recommend from your time in Bergen? Within an hour or so from the city. We have been to Austevoll a lot, but are looking for new spots.

Are you looking for wild camping as in parking the van somewhere outside of a campground.... I can come up with a few places.

Lots of spots on Sotra (45 minutes west of Bergen city). It’s a large island with some nice spots both on the south end and north. You can be close to the open sea and nice Mountain views behind you.

Are you looking for wild camping as in parking the van somewhere outside of a campground.... I can come up with a few places.

Lots of spots on Sotra (45 minutes west of Bergen city). It’s a large island with some nice spots both on the south end and north. You can be close to the open sea and nice Mountain views behind you.
Thanks, yes preferably sites off the camp grounds. Have tried Skogtun camping on sorta which is nice, but like to find our own spots