Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway

AlanH99

AlanH99

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
We are thinking of taking our California to Norway some time in the future, what is the best way of getting there?
Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Truls
We are thinking of taking our California to Norway some time in the future, what is the best way of getting there?
Alan

Drive - well not all the way. I'm going to Nordkapp in 6 weeks time and I'm taking the Euroshuttle to Calais then driving France - Belgium - Germany - Denmark - across The Bridge ( remember the BBC4 Scandinavian Crime thriller) - Sweden - Finland - Norway and to Nordkapp.

If you drove over The Bridge and turned LEFT then that way be Norway.

The alternative is a ferry across the North Sea, Harwich to Hook of Holland or further North.

We're heading that way in the summera couple of years ago we went Harwich to Hook of Holland drove up through Germany, Denmark , Sweden - all so lovely didn't make it as far as Norway! This year we are hoping that the Harwich to Esjberg ferry is reinstated ( theoretically restarts at Easter ) to save a bit of mileage.

We planning a trip end of april begin may.
Driving up Denmark , ferry to norway....got a dog so not to long on the ferry.Want to see the coastline Norway so wil not be driving the whole way round Sweden....
Any tips suggestions are more then welcome

We are planning a similar trip tied in with Iceland.
Our plan is to get the van onto one of the Hurtigruten boats that sail up the coast from Bergen calling at about thirty ports on the way, leave the boat at Kirkenes, up to the North Cape and then back down the coast, Lofoten Islands etc, to Denmark to get the ferry to Iceland. We went on one of the Hurtigruten boats last year and they are excellent. Not sure if they would take a dog though.

We're heading that way in the summera couple of years ago we went Harwich to Hook of Holland drove up through Germany, Denmark , Sweden - all so lovely didn't make it as far as Norway! This year we are hoping that the Harwich to Esjberg ferry is reinstated ( theoretically restarts at Easter ) to save a bit of mileage.
We are planning a 6 week trip from mid may, aiming for Nordkap via Lofoten isles
Cannot get any info on Harwich-Esjberg ferry despite several e-mails so assume that its not running. (It would be nice if it was )
Will be using Dover-Calais/Dunkirk crossing therefore and driving all the way via Denmark -Sweden bridge

We are planning a similar trip tied in with Iceland.
Our plan is to get the van onto one of the Hurtigruten boats that sail up the coast from Bergen calling at about thirty ports on the way, leave the boat at Kirkenes, up to the North Cape and then back down the coast, Lofoten Islands etc, to Denmark to get the ferry to Iceland. We went on one of the Hurtigruten boats last year and they are excellent. Not sure if they would take a dog though.
I have read on the German forum that if you go the other way, i.e. board at Kirkenes, it is lots cheaper to take your Cali on the Hurtigruten boat. And look at the schedule carefully: not all Hurtigruten boats will take cars on board!

OK thanks for that. Not really got into the detail of it yet. The boat we were on last year was the Nord Norge and we saw a T5 on there which gave us the idea.

Incidentaly, how long have you had the air suspension on? We are considering it but just a bit concerned about long term reliability.

Incidentaly, how long have you had the air suspension on? We are considering it but just a bit concerned about long term reliability.
We have had it on for a year and a half now. Not too long, but as long as we have our Cali. We do not really worry about (long term) reliability. The VB system has been on the market for quite some time now, it was used in the Dakar-rally, has been in use with a lot of ANWB (AA) and police cars, under ambulances etc. We know the head of development and customer care there, we have a very good impression.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

OK, sounds like it should be OK long term then, thanks for the info, I'll look at getting it done soon.

We are planning a 6 week trip from mid may, aiming for Nordkap via Lofoten isles
Cannot get any info on Harwich-Esjberg ferry despite several e-mails so assume that its not running. (It would be nice if it was )
Will be using Dover-Calais/Dunkirk crossing therefore and driving all the way via Denmark -Sweden bridge
The last Harwich Esjberg ferry was in Sept 2014. Sorry to say it no longer runs.

We did the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry, then through Holland Germany Denmark. Legoland in Denmark well worth a visit.

Geiranger fjord in Norway is a must - a spectacular UNESCO site!

We took my old Syncro over last year. We went from Newcastle over the Amsterdam and drove up through Holland and Germany to Denmark and the Hirtshals to Kristiansand ferry. Takes a while but thats about it other than the truck ferry from Immingham to Brievik. Did you ever go? There was a facebook page and petiton to reinstate the North Shields to Norway ferry but it looks like thats not going to happen :( We took the same route back 6 weeks later.

http://s316.photobucket.com/user/mattwilde66/slideshow/Syd goes Nordic

That's what I did this year, but used the Euroshuttle. Expensive Toll on the Bridge to Malmo but worth it. I drove through Sweden, Finland and Norway to Nordkapp. Spectacular undersea tunnel to Nordkapp. Watch out for Reindeer and Elk. Alcohol was expensive but other stuff was more London prices. Good internet and mobile phone service .
Enjoy, especially Nordkapp. You can stay for 48 hrs there for an extra 100 N Kronor, but no electric, showers or water taps but toilets open continuously.

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/countdown-begins.10091/

Any more updates on getting to Norway. Looking at Harwich - Hook of Holland then drive to Hirshtals Denmark for ferry to Norway.

We've got no particular target - we'd both like to go to Norway. Slightly time limited 9 days. Thanks

Hi Matt. Personally I think you’d be really pushing it doing Norway in 9 days. We’ve just spent 35 days there, going all the way up to Norkapp. Even just doing the more popular western Fjords would probably take 2 weeks. The ferry from Hirtshals is fine - it will put you in good position to head up to Bergen and surrounding area. It is such a spectacular country though, and by far the best scenery is farther north on Atlantic drive and Lofotens, in our opinions. Hope you have a good trip whatever you decide to do.

Hi Matt. Personally I think you’d be really pushing it doing Norway in 9 days. We’ve just spent 35 days there, going all the way up to Norkapp. Even just doing the more popular western Fjords would probably take 2 weeks. The ferry from Hirtshals is fine - it will put you in good position to head up to Bergen and surrounding area. It is such a spectacular country though, and by far the best scenery is farther north on Atlantic drive and Lofotens, in our opinions. Hope you have a good trip whatever you decide to do.

Thanks it might be worth waiting till we've got a good 2 weeks off. It looks amazing!