Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not sure if clutch is starting to slip??

mal-practice

mal-practice

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while but thought this would be the best place to ask.

I've just come back from a lovely week in Cornwall but while driving about I noticed that the revs would jump up by about 4000rpm if I put my foot down, they would then fall back down to where they were then gradually built up again with the increase in speed.

It may have always done this but I just haven't noticed and I drove five and a half hours straight on the way home and it never missed a beat it's just a little concerning. Is this normal?

P.S. Gear changing and pulling away are all fine it's just the initial increase in revs when putting your foot down while already in the same gear, it's like your riding the clutch for a few seconds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

How many miles have you done and what kind of journeys ie short trips or motorway?

Its done about 130,000 miles and I would say mainly longer motorway journeys. It's just odd that it only happens when I put my foot down and nothing to do with actually using the clutch.

It sounds like it is and thats a good milage for a clutch.

Get the bus warm, find a hill, select a high gear and put your foot down. If it starts to race then it's probably the clutch.......or the crankshaft oil seal leaking oil onto the clutch plate.

S.

Yeah as I thought it's probably a new clutch, not cheap :(

But a 130,000 miles from 1 clutch is good going.

I traded in an X-Trail for my Cali, 10 years old, 190,000 on the clock and the original clutch still going strong. Of that 190k I towed a caravan for 72k recorded miles. Nissan garage said they hardly ever replaced clutches. I would be dissapointed with 130k for what is basically a commercial vehicle.

Sorry I will disagree. There are so many variables that to state you would expect a clutch to last in excess of 190,000 miles on any vehicle cannot be accepted.
Weight of vehicle
Engine power/torque
Turbocharged or not.
Dual mass flywheel
Towing
Journey type, short or long
Terrain
Driving style
All these have a bearing on the clutch life. Some cars will get through a clutch in 60,000m others in 200,000 or more.
Commercial vehicle clutches are no different and can have a very short life because of miss treatment by an employee and lots of stop starts.
That's my personal view, but a search on the web puts the average life expectancy at about 90,000 miles.

I hear what you say but I would still be disappointed with that mileage. I think it's poor.

On the T5 forum anywhere between 60,000 and 300,000. Also it could be the flywheel causing problems or the hydraulics.
The poster should do the check as outlined already. It might not be the actual fibre clutch but one of the other components.

Thanks all for the replys,

I've done the test as sidepod suggested by accelerating up hill and that is when the revs raise up but at the moment it's barely noticeable and my passengers wouldn't know it was happening.

If it's not overtly noticeable then ignore it. Keep your AA membership up ( there are other organisations). That's the general consensus on the T5 forum.
Just one thing, has the clutch fluid been changed as per service intervals. If not it might be a good idea to do it.

That's a good shout mate, I think i'll change the fluid at the weekend. We haven't got any long trips planned in the bus over the next few months so I think I might just see how it goes.

Dont confuse the T4 engine with the T5. The earlier was built to last, the latter to be thrown away. Times have changed.
I think camper vans are not the norm. Long motorway trips are the norm as opposed to everyday use.
In other words, a clutch "should" last a long time.

Anyway, a slipping clutch makes you drive economically ;)

What I mean is the T4 mill was repairable, reborable etc. The T5 unit is flimsy by comparision, never really designed with longevity in mind. It's all about car manufactures meeting demands made by environmental legislation. I'm not saying it's rubish so don't anyone get the hump (forum style), just not as robust.

Anyone out there with a T5 with over 220k on the clock and still going strong?

Pod.

Back