Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not using boot shelf / top of bed

maxandcali

maxandcali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello!

Was wondering if anyone who religiously sleeps upstairs only either doesn’t take or stores away the boot shelf (also the upper third of the downstairs bed) for the purpose of being able to push the rear seats back further and have more space in the California? And if so, pros/cons? Experience etc.

Thanks!

Max

I don't.
That way you can divide your storage room.
Things you don't need every minute underneath the shelf. Blankets on the mattress.
I don't feel the need of extra space to live in. I only go on holidays in good weather, so living outside is more important than inside.

Just my opinion.

I always want to sleep upstairs, but there are times (such as this weekend just gone) where the weather dictates otherwise and I have to move downstairs and close the roof, if you don't have the rear shelf set-up with you then that would be a problem. I say keep the shelf etc. in place for the added flexibility. You could always unclip it on site and store it against the seat back, still being able to slide the bench seat back.

Like most religions we still need some cosmic insurance in the form of a lower bed in the event of a storm or noisy neighbours.
We normally travel with two 64 litre RUB boxes under the frame, lose it though and we must have another 150 mm of extra room and more space for bedding etc, hmmmm.

I do. Best idea I've ever had! My bench downstairs is now way to the rear so I have full access to the wardrobe next to the fridge and even the cupholder with 12v outlet is completely uncovered. The space in the van is now huge and it doesn't feel so cramped anymore. I moved the portapotti from under the sink to the boot, there is still enough space for it and a portable external gas cooker. So roughly 50cm deep. The advantage here is that I have more space obviously for food and kitchen stuff without having to play tetris every time. If I (my daughter) need/s the loo during travel, I slide the bench fully forward and I can climb from the side door behind the bench into the boot and use the toilet. during the night the PP comes in the front since I have plenty of room now.
For 3/4 days weekends I still have enough cargo space, considering I'm hauling a scooter for the daughter, a box full of lego, the safetynet for upstairs, a contraption for the heating, a shelf to hold an electric heater upstairs etc.
If I need more space I just slide the bench a bit forward according to the need. In summer I'm fully loaded with big Quechua tent, inflatable 3m boat, pumps, additional table, awning carpets you name it. Once in situ and offloaded, i slide the bench again to the rear. Only downside you need to have the headrests hanging in the boot.
Also if you have to eat inside with the bench in that position it's a bit dark on the table. I solved it plugging a USB lamp with a long cable on the cupholder socket next to the door and hanging the lamp to the roof/bed using a thin thread.

I agree to the concern of "what if you need to sleep downstairs in extreme weather", so I'm looking for an inflatable solution, an armchair, folding air mattress , to solve that as well. Just need to find the right size.

I agree to the concern of "what if you need to sleep downstairs in extreme weather", so I'm looking for an inflatable solution, an armchair, folding air mattress , to solve that as well. Just need to find the right size.
Even without the back section. If you remove the front stops in the rail, in an ‘emergency’ sleep downstairs situation, you can slide the bench seat forwards and sleep with your head to the rear, on the base and backrest, and your lower legs on the two swivelled seats. This also allows for masses of kit to be stored at the rear, which might also be necessary if you’re in stormy conditions.

Even without the back section. If you remove the front stops in the rail, in an ‘emergency’ sleep downstairs situation, you can slide the bench seat forwards and sleep with your head to the rear, on the base and backrest, and your lower legs on the two swivelled seats. This also allows for masses of kit to be stored at the rear, which might also be necessary if you’re in stormy conditions.
I tried but it doesn't work, different heights and angles. It doesn't work reclining the seat either as it doesn't recline to flat. Both my stops front and back are removed.

We leave the shelf/mattress inside.

Currently on a 10-day trip around Corsica and during the night we were forced to retreat to downstairs due to a storm. It was done in three minutes, we just threw climbing ropes and bike helmets to front seats and extended the bench and lowered the roof.

We have maybe a bit different arrangement compared to others. Food and dishes under sink, all clothes in drawer under bench, jackets and cosmetics in the wardrobe, all sporting and camping equipment in two storage boxes in the trunk. The bedding is on the rear shelf during the drive as well.

With all the climbing and biking equipment stored, clothes and food for 10 days you can barely notice it's anything different than when I drive to work.

I think there is material here for another major controversy in the forum: those who try to take their house in the van, and those who are used to taking what they can carry on their backs in a backpack for weeks, and find the van to be an incredible luxury. I’m in the second group.

I think there is material here for another major controversy in the forum: those who try to take their house in the van, and those who are used to taking what they can carry on their backs in a backpack for weeks, and find the van to be an incredible luxury. I’m in the second group.
Oh I was hoping to see a photo of your electric heater, coffee maker and selection of 18 piece nested cooking pans.....

Or here's another idea for creating a bit more space while retaining the shelf and downstairs sleeping option...
This still on my list to try at some point, so right now I can't speak from experience. And the other thing to note is that this project will require a reasonable degree of practical ability.

I’ve been a truck driver for ??? years so used to living in a confined space. Always wash my smalls every day so don’t need much space for clothes!
Deffo in the second group!

I've found a solution for this. It comes once again from Ikea. It is the Samla box ( https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/samla-box-transparent-00102975/ with lid) from Ikea. Depending how tall you are you need two placed next to each other with the smaller side adjacent for a total width of 120cm x 40cm depth or three lenghtways (120cm x 60 cm depth), or a combination of the two.
It happened one week ago, I was forced to sleep downstairs and left the parcel shelf at home as I never carry it with me. I placed two of these Samla boxes (60*40*42) in front of the reclined bench (between kitchen and sliding door) with two towels on top. These boxes are there to support your lower legs and feet while the bulk of your weight is supported by the reclined bench. They are the perfect height to form a level surface with the bench.
Whilst travelling they carry a lot of otherwise lose crap, they can be left outside in the rain and keep the content dry, they can be piled into one another when not in use. I have used them now in two long holidays and found them extremely practical.

Back