Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean decal

Gavrobb

Gavrobb

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Anybody tried to take this off the side panel yet? Seems pretty heavy duty sticker - foil type so not an easy steam off like regular sign writing.

Probably just me but tot too fussy to have 'OCEAN' written in big letters on the side.

I had mine taken off by the dealer on my beach and it left no trace.. I'm afraid i didn't ask how they did it.

Yes with a hair drier or hot air stripper (gently) - don't get the panel too hot - the idea is to gentle play the warm air over the area to warm up the metal. Once it has warmed up a bit the glue will soften. Then, gently using your finger nails - you should find you can start to peel it off. Done carefully it will leave no trace - a quick polish and you should be fine.

A little tar and glue remover will remove the sticky residue before a wash :)

Just to confirm - the hair dryer trick worked perfect. 5minute job. From having removed van sign writing in the past I had thought the silver foil of the Ocean sticker would be more permanent and harder but it proved to conduct the light heat of the hairdryer and melt the glue in seconds. Easy one.Very little residue if any. Thanks.

Just to confirm - the hair dryer trick worked perfect. 5minute job. From having removed van sign writing in the past I had thought the silver foil of the Ocean sticker would be more permanent and harder but it proved to conduct the light heat of the hairdryer and melt the glue in seconds. Easy one.Very little residue if any. Thanks.

Thanks for that, I may do the same. Not sure the typeface suits it.

I’d recommend a regular hairdryer over a DIY type heat gun - I ‘may have’ overdone it on a bicycle frame once, so go steady ... :talktothehand

I used a diy heat gun on a low setting on a warmish day to remove the bonnet stripes from our Mini. They'd been on there 10+ years and you could see where the paint had faded so I ended up having the bonnet resprayed.

Thanks all for sharing.
We have removed the Ocean letters this evening, and since we were at it, also the California ones.
As mentioned above, with a heat gun with a low setting, then using some glue removal, which has some alcohol, and for the cali letters, a bit of Titan polish liquid (not sure it's called like this in English).

IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG

Just my 2p's worth, but if I was looking to buy a used Cali and found the decals missing, I might be concerned about accident repairs and look for another.
Each to their own obviously but I have to say I’d share the same concerns about resale. How would the layperson know it was really a top of the line Ocean opposed to a slightly different Coast?

In fact, I like the decal so much that it is being embroidered into the head rests of my new leather seats this week.

Yes de-badge the whole van except for VW badges front and rear. Hair dryer for decals plus dental floss for the badges.

Yes de-badge the whole van except for VW badges front and rear. Hair dryer for decals plus dental floss for the badges.
Ditto @Blue Yonder, debadged everything prior to first full Collinite polish. Much happier with appearance, apart from ease of polishing. Hair dryer and fingernails good for the Ocean decals, started on 4motion and California badges with dental floss to get an edge lift then used a semi hard plastic ‘scraper’ to gently ease off along with hot air. Thixotropy is the key, let the adhesive tell you how fast to go (not at all fast!).

Last edited:
Each to their own obviously but I have to say I’d share the same concerns about resale. How would the layperson know it was really a top of the line Ocean opposed to a slightly different Coast?

In fact, I like the decal so much that it is being embroidered into the head rests of my new leather seats this week.
Debadging is pretty common and a factory option on some VW including my Phaeton. So I doubt it would effect resale. Very ‘individual’ leather seats might though @The Tall Luthier

I also hope that any layperson (particularly thief) thinks my van is not top of the range, quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Debadging is pretty common and a factory option on some VW including my Phaeton. So I doubt it would effect resale. Very ‘individual’ leather seats might though @The Tall Luthier

I also hope that any layperson (particularly thief) thinks my van is not top of the range, quite the opposite.
I don’t imagine people with a 6l W12 Phaeton will be debadging theirs!

Seriously though, each to his own and the lettering can always be replaced. Our friends traded in their debadged Cali and said it was promptly rebadged and out on the dealers forecourt.

I would have debadged a W12 Phaeton without hesitation, but then I would never have a personalised number plate either, and simply can't understand why people feel the need to "impress” others in this way (drive a California across continents, write a brilliant novel, or craft/repair a wonderful violin, and that is different plenty of admiration then), but as you say "each to their own" @Ting Tong , for example:

Post in thread 'What have you bought for your Cali today :)'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-have-you-bought-for-your-cali-today.8536/post-618660

Last edited:
I think it was actually a W16 Phaeton.
2 V8s

I think it was actually a W16 Phaeton.
2 V8s
No I think V12, and a real wolf in sheep’s clothing, according to forum friends who had them.

Back