Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean - harsh ride

M

MauriceG’Rage

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Our 2021 Ocean is shod with what I believe are the “standard” tyres - 17” 215/60, which run at 54psi. It’s also got the adaptive chassis suspension (unsure of its benefits). I find the ride a bit harsh over poor surfaces, and I’ve seen a YouTube video that seems to indicate that an aftermarket different profile (235/55?) may give a more compliant ride. Not quite yet ready to reshoe the van, but when I am would be grateful for feedback on tyre choices that may give a better ride.

It looks like you have already found the answer. Wider tyres with a lower pressure. Continental and Michelin are popular among the forums.

Shop around a bit and hold out for some vouchers codes and expect to pay 600-700 for a full set of premium tyres

Last edited:
We run standard tyres on our Ocean currently (2020, 17") and we run about 45PSI or there around (might be wrong), if memory serves. Are you using the right pressure aligned to the internal door values?

Our 2021 Ocean is shod with what I believe are the “standard” tyres - 17” 215/60, which run at 54psi. It’s also got the adaptive chassis suspension (unsure of its benefits). I find the ride a bit harsh over poor surfaces, and I’ve seen a YouTube video that seems to indicate that an aftermarket different profile (235/55?) may give a more compliant ride. Not quite yet ready to reshoe the van, but when I am would be grateful for feedback on tyre choices that may give a better ride.
When you say “ aftermarket “, have you checked the tyre label sticker on the drivers B Pillar. It should include 235/55 tyres.

We run standard tyres on our Ocean currently (2020, 17") and we run about 45PSI or there around (might be wrong), if memory serves. Are you using the right pressure aligned to the internal door values?
I and others here have recommended looking at the pressure ratings on the tyres themselves and not the tag. If I ran the VW recommended pressure the Bridgestone 235 55R17's would feel too soft increasing the wallow in corners and over uneven surfaces. I prefer a slight firmer ride around 48-50 psi. No negative effects noted so far.

I and others here have recommended looking at the pressure ratings on the tyres themselves and not the tag. If I ran the VW recommended pressure the Bridgestone 235 55R17's would feel too soft increasing the wallow in corners and over uneven surfaces. I prefer a slight firmer ride around 48-50 psi. No negative effects noted so far.
I run my 180 4Motion on Michelin Crossclimates 235/55/17/103H on 44psi front and rear, and have done on 3 sets of tyres over 80,000 miles with equal wear Front to Rear , Left to Right. Never needed to swap tyres as wear is equal all round. That's fully loaded apart from water.

Run 43psi on the front and 42psi at rear.
235/55 17 Bridgestones and ride is better than I expected to be honest. Got the pressures from sticker inside the door.

Yes, I run mine 3.35 bar and the wear seems more even on 2wd, it seems common on caravelle and Cali to wear the passenger front outer edge first, 4wd like Welshgas seem more even wear.
The 215 commercial tyres will be harsher but wear better and be better on fuel than 235.

We’ve had 2 T6 Oceans, both with Davenports, one with 215/60/17’s and the other with 235/55/17’s. The 235’s were like driving a different vehicle. The 215’s were harsh and crashy by comparison. When speccing the 6.1, 235 tyres were one of the first boxes to be ticked. Went for the all season option to save swapping wheels over. They seem to be excellent so far.

OP, if it were me, I’d keep an eye out for a new set of wheels (17’s) with 235’s from someone swapping to big blingy wheels (which will of course completely trash the ride quality) and sell your current ones rather than re tyre. A few years ago I picked up a delivery mileage set for £500 IIRC.

Just what I have and related info.

Higher profile 235/60/17 106 CrossClimsate SUV tyres.
I didn't go up in rim size due to loss of sidewall height needed. 17x7.5" Borbet 1320kgs load rated ones fitted.

Found better on potholes. Still 'crash' on many roads but so does our car.

SUV tyre gave a more positive, firmer, feel to steering with less wallowing.

Also fitted Poly bushes all round which also improved comfort (had adjustable type so suspension set to spec for Caster & Camber on front & camber on rear.

Bilstien Air Suspension which is harsher at low speeds but comes into its own at higher A speed roads or back roads. Ride height makes a difference to harshness.

Pressures Front 44psi Rear 42psi cold. Those go up approx 3 psi hot.

Last edited:
I run my 180 4Motion on Michelin Crossclimates 235/55/17/103H on 44psi front and rear, and have done on 3 sets of tyres over 80,000 miles with equal wear Front to Rear , Left to Right. Never needed to swap tyres as wear is equal all round. That's fully loaded apart from water.
Me too, the only issue I sometimes have is the steering wheel not being quite straight which I understand is to do with camber. Alignment is fine and tyre pressures checked religously.

Me too, the only issue I sometimes have is the steering wheel not being quite straight which I understand is to do with camber. Alignment is fine and tyre pressures checked religously.
I’ve driven 3 Californias in the last 6 months or so and all had steering wheels that were not straight, and all in exactly the same way (turned to the right slightly). No idea why this is.

I’ve driven 3 Californias in the last 6 months or so and all had steering wheels that were not straight, and all in exactly the same way (turned to the right slightly). No idea why this is.
Just to mix it up, mines slightly to the left!

I had a load of bushes changed to poly flex a few months ago and mentioned it to the garage, they agreed it could be camber and suggested the Powerflex adjustable bushes, but I was too tight to splash additional cash so I’ll live with it!

Have you driven on the continent?

Mine is fine! ££££ to get it right

I had a load of bushes changed to poly flex a few months ago and mentioned it to the garage, they agreed it could be camber and suggested the Powerflex adjustable bushes, but I was too tight to splash additional cash so I’ll live with it!
Worth doing as it sorts it out when all set to spec,
most noticeable on lane changes and roundabouts.

Worth doing as it sorts it out when all set to spec,
most noticeable on lane changes and roundabouts.
I’ll add it to the long list of expensive mods!

204ps MY21. I specced the 235/55/17 All Weather tyres from new and don't have experience of the narrower ones but am getting to the point of having to replace them and have been considering switching to the 215's for fuel economy reasons.

However I've been keeping reading threads back and forward on this topic for the last few years and am probably coming down on the side of my original decision. I've never had any issues with the ride being wallowy. Had a few steep gravelly wheel spin situations (FWD) which would likely be worse with narrower tyres. Having done a lot of reading I'm not sure I can remember many advocating for the standard shoes over the wider alternatives YMMV.

We have a 204PS two wheel drive Ocean and fitted Michelin Cross climates great ride quality and hugely improved traction in all conditions especially when pulling away reducing ‘wheel spin’ moments! Can’t fault them and so impressive in the wet! Will be only tyre we put on the Ocean!

204ps MY21. I specced the 235/55/17 All Weather tyres from new and don't have experience of the narrower ones but am getting to the point of having to replace them and have been considering switching to the 215's for fuel economy reasons.

However I've been keeping reading threads back and forward on this topic for the last few years and am probably coming down on the side of my original decision. I've never had any issues with the ride being wallowy. Had a few steep gravelly wheel spin situations (FWD) which would likely be worse with narrower tyres. Having done a lot of reading I'm not sure I can remember many advocating for the standard shoes over the wider alternatives YMMV.
Worth a look at Michelin as they are currently offering £100 off 4 tyres purchased from any supplier.

Last edited:

I had a problem with drift to the left and had it all checked out went to customer services and they agreed as the dealer suggested that it’s a design fault with the water tank and kitchen on that side the extra weight made it drift that way. See CS response. You get used to it and the extra wear on the front left tyre.
Dear Mr Webb

Thank you for your recent email to Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles dated the 4 February.

I do appreciate that your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a Volkswagen and that any failure is most disappointing.

And I am sorry for the inconvenience caused of having this fault with your vehicle, and that Carrs Van Centre Exeter have confirmed that it is a design characteristic.

I understand you are not happy with the outcome, and again apologise for the inconvenience.