Ocean T6 - Omnistor Awning Rear Adapter

P

Philip Godley

JsyPhil
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Afternoon all.

I didn't buy my California with a factory fitted awning. So I have bought an aftermarket Omnistor 5102.

I also bought the California fitting kit separately from Everything VW California https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/thule-omnistor-5102-awning-use-vw-t5-t6

The front adapter fitted perfectly. However the rear adapter does not fit my Ocean T6.

2018-06-10 17.43.49.jpg

The distance between the rail and where the adapter attached with the three screws is too great for the adapter. You can see from the size of the gap that it doesn't fit.

See below for a top view.

2018-06-10 17.44.14.jpg

I contacted Everything VW California and they contacted VW who have said that the adapter, part number 7H7877238C is the same for both the T5 and T6 California and it should fit.

Has anyone else fitted the Omnistor with the brackets?

Also, could someone do me a big favour and post a photo of the rear bracket attached to their T6 Ocean to see if it is in fact the same bracket?

The part number which is stuck on the bracket is 7H7877238C...

2018-06-10 17.44.37.jpg

Many thanks

Phil.

lucky mines is in the garage, and yes same code as yours

sorry just noticed B is front C is rear ...

The mystery continues!!

I went up to the VW dealer today to check out other T6 California's with awnings. They had a Beach Edition and an Ocean. Here are the photos of the rear awning adapters...

2018-06-11 14.29.20.jpg 2018-06-11 14.21.33.jpg

The grey van is an Ocean and the white van a Beach.

You can see on both photos that the adapter does not sit on the rail when screwed in. Its a good 3-4mm off on the Beach and maybe a little more on the Ocean. This is odd for a specifically engineered part and the tolerance on each van is clearly different. Conversely the front adapters on all the Californias (including mine) fit perfectly flush on the rail.

I'll attach mine tonight and see what sort of gap I end up with.

So here is mine fitted as expected, there is a huge gap. The awning is now on as well. There is a huge gap but its sturdy. I'm so surprised that VAG produced a bracket with such a bad fit that it doesn't actually sit on the rail to support it.

2018-06-11 18.36.20.jpg

Thanks to Nick at the club shop for being helpful and sending a replacement just in case the bracket was incorrect (it wasn't).

Back