Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

October camping advice

C

Carter3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
We are picking up our first Cali on 9th October and looking to go camping straight away to try it out and make sure all is in order, whilst under the used warranty. Please can I have any suggestions for good camp sites preferably with EHU. We are in Dorset so we are thinking Dorset/Somerset/Hampshire/Wiltshire possibly as don’t want to travel too far on our first weekend away. Also although the Cali has the diesel heater any advice about keeping the heat in at night. I’m thinking 12 tog duvets but our 8 year old will be in pop top so not sure how warm he’ll be up there. Thanks in advance.

Pop top is cooler than downstairs. My 8 year old (now 9) always happy up there -- he likes it cooler - sleeps under his normal duvet + sometimes an extra blanket even in the winter (UK winter)

I would suggest don't buy anything extra, you'll be fine

You'll be fine. Take plenty of dry cloths and something to keep kids occupied if it's rainy.

Use your duvets from home and have the heater on should keep the whole thing toastie.

We've been camping in ours all year round and we too sleep under a duvet. We have never needed the heater on during the night. However, keep the remote handy so you can put it on before you get up.

So you should be warn enough downstairs. As @Loz has already said, a Cali Wrap from the club shop should keep the upper deck dryer, warmer and draught free.

We are picking up our first Cali on 9th October and looking to go camping straight away to try it out and make sure all is in order, whilst under the used warranty. Please can I have any suggestions for good camp sites preferably with EHU. We are in Dorset so we are thinking Dorset/Somerset/Hampshire/Wiltshire possibly as don’t want to travel too far on our first weekend away. Also although the Cali has the diesel heater any advice about keeping the heat in at night. I’m thinking 12 tog duvets but our 8 year old will be in pop top so not sure how warm he’ll be up there. Thanks in advance.
May sound counter intuitive, but the California is a small space for 3 sleeping so make sure the front windows, either both or one on the downwind side are open 1 or 2 inches for ventilation otherwise there will be lots of condensation and muggy heads in the morning. The Heater can be left On all night, on low if necessary. Have you thought about a sleeping bag for your 8 yr old? Doesn't have to be a 4 season one.

We actually prefer sleeping with plenty of fresh air, even at home so small window always open.
On first outings in our van in Jan we had heater on and frankly woke up too hot, dehydrated and with headache. Now very rarely used heater for sleeping, only in evenings sometimes. Even taken to unzipping windows on down wing side and even in rain no problem as mesh seems to prevent it coming through, just rounds down and away
Now reall comfy, warm and fresh.
Oh we use a duvaley mattress, so comfy and prevents duvet from slipping off in the night

We never use the heater at night unless we are away skiing and temperatures are seriously minus, we always sleep up top. Enjoy your first trip, check out some of the van lists on this site, that may help you decide what you need to take with you.

We find there is so much (cold) air blown through the air vents in the pop top there’s plenty of ventilation. Too much some might say in the roof bed. I plan to get a topper or isotop eventually. It is considerably colder in the roof. Downstairs absolutely fine for us even in autumn and we haven’t fitted a heater yet. My kids sleep really well upstairs even when windy and a little chilly. We put them in long pj’s or a onesie and sometimes they sleep in merino thermals which double at pj’s. They are superb. Can be worn over again and don’t smell. Warm without being sweaty. Also used for skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In winter we have heater control upstairs for use in morning before going downstairs to make tea!

As far bedding goes we use the layers approach as we do with day clothes - Jim-jams, a Sleeping Bag (Vango double = no side draughts) and two blankets which are only used one at a time if needed (keep folded at bottom of bed so are handy). From memory I think we only used both once. Pillows? We use the same as we use in the house. One has been modified so as to not get overlap - so, one normal size pillow and one half size.

Condensation is always a challenge during winter camping. We have wind deflectors fitted to front windows and wind windows down to just below the deflectors (even when raining "normally"). The zipped roof side vents are cracked overnight if not too windy.

We do have a topper but not really used as not found need so far (in two and a half years with lowest temp of -4C in Harz Mountains in Germany). When travelling we do have the a/c as part of condensation control.

Re air flow as well as opening the front windows a little and sometimes the window vents in the roof we always used our Brandrup air-safe from the club shop which allows the tailgate to be locked open an inch or so.

Hook Farm in Uplyme is my suggestion for a campsite in Dorset.
Lovely walk into Lyme and a short drive to Charmouth.

Please can I have any suggestions for good camp sites preferably with EHU.

We were at Woodyhyde Campsite near Corfe Castle at the weekend and it was well organized and safe. Nice to see the steam train pass albeit less frequent than usual.

Highlands End is our pick for Dorset - we are heading back for a second visit in October half term. It can be a bit exposed on the cliff top so be careful with the roll out awning!

Highlands End is our pick for Dorset - we are heading back for a second visit in October half term. It can be a bit exposed on the cliff top so be careful with the roll out awning!

Highlands End would've been my other recommendation. Really enjoyed the club meet there. How is it with the COVID restrictions @Nick.C ? We're thinking of a half term trip.

Highlands End would've been my other recommendation. Really enjoyed the club meet there. How is it with the COVID restrictions @Nick.C ? We're thinking of a half term trip.
Not been there post lockdown, but it seems to be ok. I think the fire engine soft play may be closed and you have to pre-book the swimming pool (neither a problem for us) but everything else appears to be open at the moment. As long as the toilets and showers stay open we will be happy. Let us know if you decide to go and we will make sure we say hello!

We stayed here last autumn. Family run site on the edge of Portesham village.
Close to Abbottsbury and Chesil Beach.
Would have gone again in the Spring, but Covid got in the way...

Isotop to be fitted upstairs - makes it darker, warmer and drier- see club shop

We were at Woodyhyde Campsite near Corfe Castle at the weekend and it was well organized and safe. Nice to see the steam train pass albeit less frequent than usual.

We were at Woodyhyde last weekend as well. Also been to Highlands End but not since last year's rather windy club meet

Would happily go to both again

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Don’t use a thick duvet. Least of all because if it gets damp or wet it’ll be a nightmare. Layers are the way to go, nice pockets of air in between. For your 8 year old a fun sleeping bag so they have a cosy pocket to pop in to, fluffy bed socks, onesie (so there’s no gaps), if it’s really cold a woolly hat.

A really good way to keep your van toastie is to install isotop internal insulation. Expensive but makes a world of difference.

Pucer wrap up top if wet and cold. We usually use a 4.5 tog quilt downstairs unless Baltic when we take the 10.5 and use the heater. Always ventilate with front windows cracked open and vw wind deflectors. Onesie are too hot according to our teenager.

Ulwell cottage holiday park is fab, 20 mins walk from Swanage and right at the foot of the Purbecks. Can walk along the ridge to Corfe Castle, or down to Old Harry Rocks, and visit Agglestone rock. Amazing location if you want to get out walking.
Good play area for kids, very clean toilet block. Has small indoor swimming pool too. Highly recommend.

Thank you for all the great advice regarding heating etc and campsites

Stonehenge campsite is cosy and has pitches for calis or old oaks at glastonbury