Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

October camping advice

There were a few Calis there last week which was great to see. We were in the first field against the hedgerow.
We were in field 2 parked next to a Cali Berghaus

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Hook Farm in Uplyme is my suggestion for a campsite in Dorset.
Lovely walk into Lyme and a short drive to Charmouth.
...and beautiful Beer beach

Currently at Burrowhayes Farm near Porlock. First time here, great views/walks/mountain bike trails and really quite tranquil! Excellent facilities so well worth a look at for Somerset coastal areas.

We are picking up our first Cali on 9th October and looking to go camping straight away to try it out and make sure all is in order, whilst under the used warranty. Please can I have any suggestions for good camp sites preferably with EHU. We are in Dorset so we are thinking Dorset/Somerset/Hampshire/Wiltshire possibly as don’t want to travel too far on our first weekend away. Also although the Cali has the diesel heater any advice about keeping the heat in at night. I’m thinking 12 tog duvets but our 8 year old will be in pop top so not sure how warm he’ll be up there. Thanks in advance.
We recently bought a Pucer screen, which is a waterproof and insulating layer that wraps round the bellows of the pop top. Having used it on some very chilly and windy nights, we think it's a great product. Easy to fit and remove. Light and easy to store in it's handy bag. Keeps the bellows dry. Makes the upstairs bed warmer in cold weather, cooler in hot weather and stops the light waking you up too early in the morning. Cheaper and better value than a Cali topper and quicker/easier to fit. We also bought a Zonesleep mattress topper, which is expensive but super-comfy and seems warmer to sleep on in the top bed.

We highly recommend Wareham Forest Tourist Park as a Dorset campsite - really friendly staff, good and clean facilities, easy drive to Poole Harbour, Corfe Castle and all of Studland / Purbecks. Wareham good for shopping etc and the campsite had regular food trucks with excellent take away temptations!

We recently bought a Pucer screen, which is a waterproof and insulating layer that wraps round the bellows of the pop top. Having used it on some very chilly and windy nights, we think it's a great product. Easy to fit and remove. Light and easy to store in it's handy bag. Keeps the bellows dry. Makes the upstairs bed warmer in cold weather, cooler in hot weather and stops the light waking you up too early in the morning. Cheaper and better value than a Cali topper and quicker/easier to fit. We also bought a Zonesleep mattress topper, which is expensive but super-comfy and seems warmer to sleep on in the top bed.
Thank you I’ve looked at this and it does look good as a cheaper alternative to the Cali one. Can I ask what you use around windscreen etc or do you use just the inside ones ?

Pucer wrap up top if wet and cold. We usually use a 4.5 tog quilt downstairs unless Baltic when we take the 10.5 and use the heater. Always ventilate with front windows cracked open and vw wind deflectors. Onesie are too hot according to our teenager.
Thank you I’ve looked at the Pucer and it seems like a good alternative to the Cali one, what do you use on the outside of the windscreen etc or do you not?

Thank you I’ve looked at the Pucer and it seems like a good alternative to the Cali one, what do you use on the outside of the windscreen etc or do you not?
We have found internal insulating ones for summer and external for winter is best, in winter condensation is more of an issue and external ones pretty much eliminate that on the front windows.

We have found internal insulating ones for summer and external for winter is best, in winter condensation is more of an issue and external ones pretty much eliminate that on the front windows.
There’s a company called Leisure Lines who do good thermal internal blinds with suckers to stick to the windows. The fabric is great and they’re very well made and not too expensive. You can buy a cab set for vw. They also sell the fabric and the trimmings to make your own (maybe for other windows). Silver on one side with grey fabric on the other and thermal layer in between to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer.

They also do external blinds too.

In regard to window screens, I’d rather deal with a bit of condensation, that can we easily sort out with a microfibre cloth and the heater on, than deal with wet/dirty external ones.

For the topper I bought the Brandup isotop Internal because it stays permanently in and there’s no setting up. It keeps you so toasty. Last night in Cheshire with the wind heading straight for us over a lake I slept under my 4 tog quilt and was still a tad too warm. I think though as we come in to winter and I want to keep getting out and about on stopovers I may use some kind of a topper too to keep the canvas dry.

Hook Farm in Uplyme is my suggestion for a campsite in Dorset.
Lovely walk into Lyme and a short drive to Charmouth.
Just checked and sadly they have closed toilets and shower block from 28/9

We are picking up our first Cali on 9th October and looking to go camping straight away to try it out and make sure all is in order, whilst under the used warranty. Please can I have any suggestions for good camp sites preferably with EHU. We are in Dorset so we are thinking Dorset/Somerset/Hampshire/Wiltshire possibly as don’t want to travel too far on our first weekend away. Also although the Cali has the diesel heater any advice about keeping the heat in at night. I’m thinking 12 tog duvets but our 8 year old will be in pop top so not sure how warm he’ll be up there. Thanks in advance.
We stayed at Highlands End in Eype in September and the facilities are kept really clean and organised well during these strange times. An easy enough walk to West Bay along the coastal path, where there’s plenty of pubs & places to eat. We have a dog and they have a great enclosed exercise area. It is quite near the cliff edge so can get breezy, but use relevant straps. We only use 4.5 tog duvets as we both sleep warm. OH has slept up top and just used a sleeping bag as our weather wasn’t too bad. Usually take a throw in case of surprise weather. It located near to Bridport and a few other pretty villages. Enjoy