Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off Grid Charging of Camera / Laptop / Other items

B

BeGentle

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello guys,

Just bought a T6 California and enjoying it so far. Used a few hired ones and now bought my own. I am going to Scotland on a hiking and Photography trip and need to charge batteries for camera, drone, laptop etc and wanted a bit more information on how to do this. I have a T6 Ocean with a few 12v Car adapters, one 3 pin plug on the back of the cooker / sink and also another 2 pin electrical (what looks like a shaver) socket.

Do all of these only work if the ignition is on? Or if I am plugged into a hookup (which isn't practical)?

Any help and advice is greatly received :)

Thanks
Chris

All the 12v car sockets in the back work off the leisure battery so are on all the time. The 3 pin socket is live only on hook up and I think has a 1500w max. The 2 pin continental style socket works off the leisure battery and has a 230v inverter, max 150w from recollection; should be enough for a laptop charger.

Hello guys,

Just bought a T6 California and enjoying it so far. Used a few hired ones and now bought my own. I am going to Scotland on a hiking and Photography trip and need to charge batteries for camera, drone, laptop etc and wanted a bit more information on how to do this. I have a T6 Ocean with a few 12v Car adapters, one 3 pin plug on the back of the cooker / sink and also another 2 pin electrical (what looks like a shaver) socket.

Do all of these only work if the ignition is on? Or if I am plugged into a hookup (which isn't practical)?

Thanks
Chris
The 3 pin on end of kitchen only works on Mains hookup.
The 12v sockets behind front seats work from Leisure Batteries, as should the 1 on top of the dashboard.
The 2 pin is a 150w inverter giving 230 v also works off Leisure batteries.
The most efficient way to charge is to use 12v chargers using the 12v sockets.
All in the California Handbook.

Hello guys,

Thanks
Chris
chris hi! like you i am a wildlife photographer with drone and all the gizmos and i use one of these which is simply brilliant , getting a solar panel to go with it makes it truly awesome in summer months as it just recharges itself and off you go again ! Poweroak AC50s transformed how i do stuff , and to boot is has wireless phone charge on top!

61-4S6o79QS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

chris hi! like you i am a wildlife photographer with drone and all the gizmos and i use one of these which is simply brilliant , getting a solar panel to go with it makes it truly awesome in summer months as it just recharges itself and off you go again ! Poweroak AC50s transformed how i do stuff , and to boot is has wireless phone charge on top!
Thanks ever so much for your reply. I have looked at a few of these as an alternative. I would love a solar system so will look into that too, but preferably would want one on the roof not just portable... I think anyway.

Would be nice having something separate though.

The 3 pin on end of kitchen only works on Mains hookup.
The 12v sockets behind front seats work from Leisure Batteries, as should the 1 on top of the dashboard.
The 2 pin is a 150w inverter giving 230 v also works off Leisure batteries.
The most efficient way to charge is to use 12v chargers using the 12v sockets.
All in the California Handbook.
Ahhh that thing. I have just started to read it actually but thanks very much for replying with the above. I am relatively practical, but afraid score a zero for electronics. But the above is very helpful thank you.

I think all camera and drones will charge from a 12v or the euro 2 pin plug with adapters.

Any downside in getting a Euro to UK adapter to fit into the 150w plug in the wall behind the passenger seat? Its the slim one with the flap :)

Thanks again

Ahhh that thing. I have just started to read it actually but thanks very much for replying with the above. I am relatively practical, but afraid score a zero for electronics. But the above is very helpful thank you.

I think all camera and drones will charge from a 12v or the euro 2 pin plug with adapters.

Any downside in getting a Euro to UK adapter to fit into the 150w plug in the wall behind the passenger seat? Its the slim one with the flap :)

Thanks again
Just be aware that converting 12v to 240v and then back again via the inverter is not the most efficient use of your leisure batteries. If there is a 12v charging option for your accessories, that is always the best option. HTH

Awesome thanks very much. Just bought one. Assume I can then only plug in 150v appliances max? To be honest I have found out that my camera will charge over USB so will do it via the 12v instead but this is good for maybe a low power kettle?
There is a standing Joke in the Forum, using a travel kettle (240v) search some of the threads by @Amarillo you will be rewarded for your time in searching for the threads !

There is a standing Joke in the Forum, using a travel kettle (240v) search some of the threads by @Amarillo you will be rewarded for your time in searching for the threads !
Ahh so there really isn't such a thing as a low power kettle. I see. Don't worry I wouldn't just plug in items without checking haha!

Just back from a fortnight without EHU in Scotland - ran a four USB splitter thing from the leisure battery and had no issues keeping two phones, iPads, cameras etc charged. Just a plug to 2 USB/2 USB-C adapter thing from Amazon - didn’t run into any problems.

Awesome thanks very much. Just bought one. Assume I can then only plug in 150v appliances max? To be honest I have found out that my camera will charge over USB so will do it via the 12v instead but this is good for maybe a low power kettle?
I just use the inverter socket to run an Euro plug insect repellent.
Kindle, iPhone, iPad, phone and laptop are all USB charged along with camera batteries and some USB torches.

most small devices are usb chargeable but my challenge was my laptop as felt the inverter was an in efficient methods of charging it.

fortunately my laptop is USB-C PD Chargeable so purchased a 12V socket USB PD which Works great for charging it

Back