Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil alert

If it’s Ingres of an additional fluid (regen diesel or other) then analysis needs to be carried out to confirm exactly what is causing the level increase.

Hi Everyone - just wanted make sure you've seen that I have managed to put up a follow up video now to the initial one - following a very helpful and detailed discussion with a VW Master Tech.

He (with some evidence) is much more convinced the reduce oil level warnings on the T6.1 are due to a degree of overfilling the oil, rather than (typically) DPF failed regens. He says they can still happen and cause issues, however in his experience it isn't the primary reason. Much, apparently, to do with the vans being delivered from the factory with the oil level at half on the dipstick (cold) and then un-informed PDI technicians topping them up to full on the dipstick when cold. This then expands when warm, and the oil level sensor triggers. I try to explain it in the video.

I am tempted to get a sample of my oil checked, I must admit....

I wonder how long it will be until the TSI engine makes a return?

Interesting question. We had a T6 204 TSI on loan for 6 weeks when our T6 204 TDI was delayed in production. It was 'okay'. Lacked the torque of the diesel and was v thirsty (22 mpg pottering around, 26-27 on a motorway run), but it was quiet at least. In pure driving terms (how it is to drive) I don't think I'd want one over a TDI in a heavy van.

Now if they dropped the 400hp 5cyl TFSI engine in it from the RS3/TTRS then that is a whole different proposition, and one I would happily put up with sub-20 mpg for !

Why would you have the oil level anywhere other than in the middle of the hatch area?

The hatches represent max/min so optimal is in the middle.

Why would you have the oil level anywhere other than in the middle of the hatch area?

The hatches represent max/min so optimal is in the middle.
Probably because most people would view the the oil being halfway down the markings as meaning it’s halfway between full and minimum.
It would be far more sensible to have a line showing maximum when full. Or better still an electronic gauge.

On the T5.1 at least, it states in the Handbook that the Oil Level should be checked with the engine run until normal operating temperature, switch off and wait 5 minutes for oil to drain back to sump before measuring with vehicle on a level surface. NOT measured cold.

For info:
Brand new Cali Beach camper (which I love), has had the alert come on for too much oil - reduce level (workshop), since new. Been to our local VW van workshop twice. On second visit informed that there’s a software update required. So, they’ve reset it. The light will almost certainly come on again soon. Then, we just have to be mindful to regularly check the level as we won’t get the low oil alert. This is the fix until the new software is released.
mine has been on since june. only been on long trips in it over 100 miles or more. done 2500 miles total. oil was on top hatch mark . i have took out about 250ml of oil. its half way on dip stick now. not tried it yet to see if the light will stay off in the next 60 miles or more. it goes off when you open bonnet. there is no diesel in my oil. should not have to do this but i don't want to drive 110 miles to a dealer and use a days holiday . I've also noticed low oil light flickering when on very steep down hills , not sure if that is normal or not. could just be the oil moving around.

Hi Everyone - just wanted make sure you've seen that I have managed to put up a follow up video now to the initial one - following a very helpful and detailed discussion with a VW Master Tech.

He (with some evidence) is much more convinced the reduce oil level warnings on the T6.1 are due to a degree of overfilling the oil, rather than (typically) DPF failed regens. He says they can still happen and cause issues, however in his experience it isn't the primary reason. Much, apparently, to do with the vans being delivered from the factory with the oil level at half on the dipstick (cold) and then un-informed PDI technicians topping them up to full on the dipstick when cold. This then expands when warm, and the oil level sensor triggers. I try to explain it in the video.

I am tempted to get a sample of my oil checked, I must admit....

Hi Itguy,

nice bit of investigation & collaboration, concise presentation of the facts discussed here and with the master tech, in your Vids.

Keep up the good work :thumb

May I suggest that you could mention the Cali Forum in your Vids, to assist people further, in our collective interest in Calis.

mine has been on since june. only been on long trips in it over 100 miles or more. done 2500 miles total. oil was on top hatch mark . i have took out about 250ml of oil. its half way on dip stick now. not tried it yet to see if the light will stay off in the next 60 miles or more. it goes off when you open bonnet. there is no diesel in my oil. should not have to do this but i don't want to drive 110 miles to a dealer and use a days holiday . I've also noticed low oil light flickering when on very steep down hills , not sure if that is normal or not. could just be the oil moving around.
Are those oil levels , Cold or as per the Handbook at normal operating temperature?

On my air cooled Porsche 993 the recommendation was to maintain the oil midway between min and max markers when engine was running and warm. Never use the oil level on the dash instrument dial which was notoriously inaccurate. When the dipstick was measuring the correct level, the dash gauge registered below min. :O
Overfilling the oil was definitely a no no on the 993.

Are those oil levels , Cold or as per the Handbook at normal operating temperature?
cold. i think the level goes higher when warm with oil expandsion . so are they putting too much in or is there a problem with the sensor or the dip stick hight . ???

cold. i think the level goes higher when warm with oil expandsion . so are they putting too much in or is there a problem with the sensor or the dip stick hight . ???
Might be. Have you checked your Handbook as to the correct procedure/temperature.

Might be. Have you checked your Handbook as to the correct procedure/temperature.
yes did that back in june. then had the aa check it. then had dealer check it. still no software fix . rang last week.

Well, based on my own experience I'd say that if your oil is at half full on the dipstick when cold you now, you should be good to and not get any more lights...

Well, based on my own experience I'd say that if your oil is at half full on the dipstick when cold you now, you should be good to and not get any more lights...
yes i hope so . but why do vw want to do a software fix when all you have to do is take a bit of oil out. it only took me 2 mins to do it. vw want to have it for a day ??? so not sure if there is more to it . only time will tell.

yes i hope so . but why do vw want to do a software fix when all you have to do is take a bit of oil out. it only took me 2 mins to do it. vw want to have it for a day ??? so not sure if there is more to it . only time will tell.
Well the master tech told me that the software fix on the RDE1 engines is to adjust the sensitivity of the oil level sensor to give it a bit more tolerance when the oil level is 'full'. When I spoke to him last week he said the RDE2 engine version of this software update isn't out yet, but that might have changed in the last week.

We have an RDE2 and unless mine gets called in for a recall or they just do it when it has a service, I won't be bothering to get my software updated for this issue now that I understand what causes it / how it works.

Well the master tech told me that the software fix on the RDE1 engines is to adjust the sensitivity of the oil level sensor to give it a bit more tolerance when the oil level is 'full'. When I spoke to him last week he said the RDE2 engine version of this software update isn't out yet, but that might have changed in the last week.

We have an RDE2 and unless mine gets called in for a recall or they just do it when it has a service, I won't be bothering to get my software updated for this issue now that I understand what causes it / how it works.
“I won't be bothering to get my software updated for this issue now that I understand what causes it / how it works.”

Morning @itguy - If you had some sort of engine failure in the future, is there a chance that VW would not honour your warranty on the basis that you have chosen not to have corrective work done via a notified recall?

same here. it got ill in it and its between the dip stick marks . so they can do the fix on the first service.
ours is the rde2 .

“I won't be bothering to get my software updated for this issue now that I understand what causes it / how it works.”

Morning @itguy - If you had some sort of engine failure in the future, is there a chance that VW would not honour your warranty on the basis that you have chosen not to have corrective work done via a notified recall?

Sorry I probably didn't say what I meant properly - if there is a recall I will 100% take it in and have it done. I haven't logged my reduce oil level issue with the dealer at all - as we used VW assist when away and then sorted it at home, so didn't need to contact them.

Back