Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil alert

J

JenJ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
For info:
Brand new Cali Beach camper (which I love), has had the alert come on for too much oil - reduce level (workshop), since new. Been to our local VW van workshop twice. On second visit informed that there’s a software update required. So, they’ve reset it. The light will almost certainly come on again soon. Then, we just have to be mindful to regularly check the level as we won’t get the low oil alert. This is the fix until the new software is released.

you may want to watch wills new video
, hes got another com9ing out where he finds the fault and fixes it , exact same issue

by what will told me it will come on after another 100km of shutting the bonnet , i know that sounds bonkers but keep an eye out for distance

For info:
Brand new Cali Beach camper (which I love), has had the alert come on for too much oil - reduce level (workshop), since new. Been to our local VW van workshop twice. On second visit informed that there’s a software update required. So, they’ve reset it. The light will almost certainly come on again soon. Then, we just have to be mindful to regularly check the level as we won’t get the low oil alert. This is the fix until the new software is released.
Not an uncommon problem.

Will explains the situation really well in his latest YT offering.

Not wishing to tempt fate but we’ve had our 6.1 for 11 months (MY21) and not had this issue. Anybody else had it?

Is yours RDE1 or 2 GG?
RDE1 I believe. 199PS built in 2020 but MY21. Does this problem only affect the RDE2 engines? (Did I miss that in the video?)

Last edited:
RDE1 I believe. 199PS built in 2020 but MY21. Does this problem only affect the RDE2 engines? (Did I miss that in the video?)
Just me being curious trying to piece it together. Sorry, was a genuine enquiry. I'm wondering the same. Our 150 is rde2 and just wondering if this hassle is coming my way

Someone commented on my post of the Facebook group about the video (who said they are a VW master tech and own a T6.1 Cali) that there is a software fix for the RDE1 engines but not the RDE2 yet. He did also suggest to me that this is oil expansion and nothing to do with the DPF regen failing. I have messaged him to discuss further as this is counter to everything I have read and been told by everyone else.

Someone commented on my post of the Facebook group about the video (who said they are a VW master tech and own a T6.1 Cali) that there is a software fix for the RDE1 engines but not the RDE2 yet. He did also suggest to me that this is oil expansion and nothing to do with the DPF regen failing. I have messaged him to discuss further as this is counter to everything I have read and been told by everyone else.
oil does expand when hot. but not enough to trigger warning lights or alarms ? very strange. usually rising oil levels are a sign of something more serious with diesel or coolant getting into the sump somewhere. i would be tempted to drain a bit out into a glass jar and let it settle out to see what happens . ie does it seperate ?

He did also suggest to me that this is oil expansion and nothing to do with the DPF regen failing.

If someone told me it was oil expansion they would loose all credibility I wouldn't trust anything further that they said. My reasoning:

If it was oil expansion due to getting hot, it would shrink back to original volume again once cold.

If it was oil expansion, everyone would have the same problem.

If it was oil expansion, it would be a problem for every vehicle on the road.

The only logical explanation that I have heard is that it is a failed Regeneration and the diesel that should have been burnt off as part of that process has entered the sump. That has certainly been the problem with Mazda diesel engines exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.

I would accept that it may not be anything to do with a failed regeneration, but if that is the case, there is still a major problem if diesel is draining into the sum.

If diesel can get into the oil system, lets hope that we cant get oil into the fuel system, a diesel engine running on its own oil is usually unstoppable and is the cause of the end of many old engines.

This would seem to be a serious design fault and I wonder what long term engine problems might be experienced? Perhaps the injection of diesel into the exhaust system for regeneration should be an independent feed and not via the cylinder exhaust valve. Not a retrofit solution so I wonder what will VW do?

I got onto VW Commercial online chat to ask about this. They could not advise and suggested I spoke to my usual van centre. I’ve now emailed Citygate to ask if they have knowledge of this and if so what is their recommendation.
Ironic that a VW transporter is parked opposite.

Hi Itguy,

can you ask The master tech if they would like to join the forum ?

A dashboard message saying ‘PF regeneration in progress’ would be worthwhile.
Or better still a message saying ‘PF regeneration' needed soon and button to start it at a suitable time. Rather than it starting the process just before you are about to pull up and switch off.

Or better still a message saying ‘PF regeneration' needed soon and button to start it at a suitable time. Rather than it starting the process just before you are about to pull up and switch off.
I understand Carista can offer that. Do any users of it on here routinely manage regens with it?

If someone told me it was oil expansion they would loose all credibility I wouldn't trust anything further that they said. My reasoning:

If it was oil expansion due to getting hot, it would shrink back to original volume again once cold.

If it was oil expansion, everyone would have the same problem.

If it was oil expansion, it would be a problem for every vehicle on the road.

The only logical explanation that I have heard is that it is a failed Regeneration and the diesel that should have been burnt off as part of that process has entered the sump. That has certainly been the problem with Mazda diesel engines exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.

I would accept that it may not be anything to do with a failed regeneration, but if that is the case, there is still a major problem if diesel is draining into the sum.

If diesel can get into the oil system, lets hope that we cant get oil into the fuel system, a diesel engine running on its own oil is usually unstoppable and is the cause of the end of many old engines.
Hi Andy,

I agree with your comments regarding the oil expansion issue noted above.

To highlight this and add some meat to the bones of your comment,
see chart below stating the Volumetric thermal expansion coefficients for some common liquids are indicated below.

Engine oil is stated, we will assume that most engine oil is within a very similar parameter as other brands and viscosity etc.

if the engine oil in an were at 18 degrees when the engine was not running (at ambient outside temp) the oil on the Dip stick should read somewhere between halfway within the cross hatch section and toward the lower end of the cross hatch Marked on the dipstick !

the oil will naturally expand when running at normal operating temps, let’s assume this is around 110 degrees C, the oil will of course expand somewhat:
but to no where near the extent that the expansion should affect oil sensors as suggested by the OP on face book!

assuming a sump volume of 7.5 litres of engine oil (sound familiar)
1000 litres = 1m3, so the 7.5 litres of oil in your sum is equivalent to 0.0075m3.

below is an illustration of 7.5 litres of engine oil (I.e. 0.0075m3) showing the expansion of the engine oil, that would take place, when the engine was at its upper running temp (110 degrees C i.e it had been working fairly hard)

The illustration shows the engine oil would expand by a maximum of 0.00048m3 or 480ml. or Approximately 6.5% by volume
(Assuming the temperature parameters are not exceeded this is the maximum effect on a full oil capacity whilst the engine is being used under fairly heavy strain)

for the reason stated above, (Expansion during use) is it recommended, that engine oil should be checked when the engine is at operating temp.

obviously this illustration does not take account of the distribution of oil throughout the engine block and power train system whilst the vehicle is running, which will naturally reduce the volume of oil in the sum, whilst the vehicle is running.
most of the oil will return to the sump a short time after the engine is turned off, which will become visually measurable on the dip stick.

It does not explain or give rationale why, during normal use, the coefficient of expansion could affect the oil to such an extent, whilst driving, that an “overfill“ warning would light up. (Unless the engine was severely overfilled in the first place? which I doubt would be the case for many?

10615E1C-638B-467D-B4F7-A98FDF8A8821.jpeg

88C954F8-FBFF-4528-95AB-04DD8300308A.jpeg

Last edited:
A dashboard message saying ‘PF regeneration in progress’ would be worthwhile.
I use a cheap voltage meter plugged into the Dash 12v, I use this to monitor the smart alternator out put whilst driving. under Regen conditions the alternator pushes out 14.8 - 15.1v (measured on my device) it is a visual aid as to when the vehicle is under regen conditions (coupled with other signs)

edit: I try not to stop the engine when it’s is part way thorough a regen

why couldn't they just put that in gear and stall it ?
You will not stall a diesel engine going at high revs. Either the brakes won't hold it, the clutch will slide or could well be an automatic gear box.

Theres also a good chance of bits flying out the engine bay once the oil runs low.

You will not stall a diesel engine going at high revs. Either the brakes won't hold it, the clutch will slide or could well be an automatic gear box.

Theres also a good chance of bits flying out the engine bay once the oil runs low.
i once dealt with a runaway deutz diesel engine in a crane by blocking the air filter

Just depressed myself reading a couple of threads on the T6 forum about high oil levels and fuel contamination AND VW’s total inability to resolve the issue for all affected owners.

What really concerns me is the potential for engine damage if the oil is getting diluted with diesel fuel. I’ve got a 5-year warranty but intend keeping the van much longer, so it matters to me.

Even though i’ve not yet had this issue I am shocked to read that so many other owners have it - some with new low mileage vans.

I’m awaiting a response from a Van Centre but unless they advise of a forthcoming ‘fix’, I intend to try and get a statement in writing from VW with appropriate assurances.

Back