Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On board power

E

Eli Montaigue

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi, I've just bought my first ever camper, a 2010 California SE.
I'm confused about the on board power.
As far as I've found out, the 230v plug can give up to 150w, meaning the plug that runs from the battery, not the one that only works when connected to the mains.

So, does that mean if I have my laptop plugged in, which is 150w, that I then can't charge my phone at the same time? Or for example I can't plug in two 150w laptops at the same time?

Also, is that 150w limit only on the inverter? So I could plug other stuff into the two 12v outlets? Or is 150w the total for the full system?

Thanks, Eli

There are 2 power outlets, one is directly connected to the hook up and is only limited by the power supplied to the hookup the other (150W) is from the onboard inverter.

Hi, I've just bought my first ever camper, a 2010 California SE.
I'm confused about the on board power.
As far as I've found out, the 230v plug can give up to 150w, meaning the plug that runs from the battery, not the one that only works when connected to the mains.

So, does that mean if I have my laptop plugged in, which is 150w, that I then can't charge my phone at the same time? Or for example I can't plug in two 150w laptops at the same time?

Also, is that 150w limit only on the inverter? So I could plug other stuff into the two 12v outlets? Or is 150w the total for the full system?

Thanks, Eli
As mentioned by @Loz . Maximum is 150watts in the Inverter socket at the base of the B Pillar. You can use ALL the other 12v cigarette type sockets simultaneously. BE AWARE the 12v socket in the Pull-Out tray in the Dashboard runs off the ENGINE battery and NOT the Leisure Batteries . You can also plug in multiple items in the 12V sockets using a multiple or extension as long as the maximum power draw is between 15-20 amps.
I have a multi socket extension in the kitchen 12v socket to run 1x Charger for an Android Phone 2x chargers for an iPhone and iPad 1x Charger for an iBoost WiFi router and 1 x charger for a Bluetooth Speaker MP3 player. Total amps 10amps.

Guess that ate two clear answers above.

Welcome btw!

As mentioned by @Loz . Maximum is 150watts in the Inverter socket at the base of the B Pillar. You can use ALL the other 12v cigarette type sockets simultaneously. BE AWARE the 12v socket in the Pull-Out tray in the Dashboard runs off the ENGINE battery and NOT the Leisure Batteries . You can also plug in multiple items in the 12V sockets using a multiple or extension as long as the maximum power draw is between 15-20 amps.
I have a multi socket extension in the kitchen 12v socket to run 1x Charger for an Android Phone 2x chargers for an iPhone and iPad 1x Charger for an iBoost WiFi router and 1 x charger for a Bluetooth Speaker MP3 player. Total amps 10amps.

Cool thanks
So if I wanted to plug in two laptops, I could get a plug in inverter that goes in the 12v outlet either in the kitchen or the boot, and plug the second laptop in there?

Cool thanks
So if I wanted to plug in two laptops, I could get a plug in inverter that goes in the 12v outlet either in the kitchen or the boot, and plug the second laptop in there?
Yes, but using an Inverter to go from 12v-240v and then a charger to go from 240v-12 03 19v is very inefficient.
It would be better to get a charger for your laptop that would work directly off 12v.

e.g.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007AJ4NAW/?tag=eliteelect-21

There are others for different Laptop makes.

Cool thanks
Yes, but using an Inverter to go from 12v-240v and then a charger to go from 240v-12 03 19v is very inefficient.
It would be better to get a charger for your laptop that would work directly off 12v.

e.g.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007AJ4NAW/?tag=eliteelect-21

There are others for different Laptop makes.
Great thanks :)