Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What fits in the inverter socket?

Mosqui-go Duo Plug In Insect Repellent
http://amzn.eu/grjiraF
Fits perfectly and really works, especially in the highlands of Scotland.
I agree, we have one which works with the tabs you insert onto the heated plate, it fits socket really well and keeps mosquitoes and other flies and beasties away. Yet to try against the dreaded midge!

Hi,
I can get the correct plugs here in Spain, If you want I can post some out to the UK so that people can make their own adapters to suit themselves. I would be happy to post a few to one person who could then pass them on to others. Just be aware that the inverter system has no earth and it is only designed to accept power draws of less than 150watts.

Hello, you have to remember that if a plug is plugged in, the inverter is active and sucks permanent 0.4 ampere from the onboard batteries without any other electrical appliances.

(btw with 0.4 ampere you can run the on board heater (not in start cycle))

Hi,
I can get the correct plugs here in Spain, If you want I can post some out to the UK so that people can make their own adapters to suit themselves. I would be happy to post a few to one person who could then pass them on to others. Just be aware that the inverter system has no earth and it is only designed to accept power draws of less than 150watts.
That’s a good offer, but it might be cheaper to get them in the UK.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe01043/lead-2-pin-eur0-plug-bare-end/dp/PL13299

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/ecs2-5rewire-b/euro-plug-rewireable-black/dp/CN06403

Hi,
I was just going to mention the above (rditt), Inverters are notoriously inefficient and can draw quite a bit from a battery just by being ‘on’. Also as previously mentioned the loading is only 150 watts max which relates to little more than 600ma. It’s well worth looking on the label of the appliance you intend to use to see if it is within these tolerances.

Some smaller TV sets are only 12v and have a power supply that plugs into the tv and then the house socket. This type of tv could be used in the camper without the use of this power supply but instead, a locally purchased cheap 12v lead that plugs directly into the tv and runs off one of the many 12v power sockets within the camper.
By doing this you avoid the use of the inverter (and it’s inherent noise), also you have more current available if required.

Cheers.

Word of warning here - one of the most useful applications of the Euro socket ought to be charging toothbrushes, but I blew two chargers before I realised it was the Cali causing it!

Clearly the chargers must be sensitive to the spiky waveform produced by the inverter - a real pain!

Anyone else encountered this, or even better got an answer?

The inverter socket is at the base of the passenger side (UK) B pillar. It provides 230v at up to 150W. The handbook says it is a Euro socket. Actually it is a Euro type C for low power devices. The recess is sort of V-shaped at the sides. None of my Euro to UK adapters will fit. In fact I have only found one device with a plug that fits, and that's a toothbrush charger which happens to be broken. Two other working toothbrush chargers don't fit!
Has anyone found an adapter which can be fitted to this socket? Or is it destined to be an amusing but unuseable feature? 'Inutile' as the French say.

I found that the Italians, Swiss and Portuguese were using sockets like this when I visited so bough a couple of plugs in the supermarket. Now works any low power but 230v device.

I blew two chargers before I realised it was the Cali causing it!

Thanks for that info FyfettBoy, I blew one using a separate inverter in my Westy. I had hoped that Calis might be superior :(.
It is claimed that some older chargers are tolerant of the spiky waveform.
One solution is to buy a pure-sinewave inverter, but they are not cheap. Or use a battery-operated toothbrush, or even a manual brush - ask your mother how to use it.

Unfortunately I am not aware of any means to make the standard Cali inverter provide a clean waveform.

Last edited:
Does anyone else’s inverter emit a hum sound when a plug is plugged in?

Or chop the lead off your non working toothbrush charger then attach a trailing UK single socket like the type on the end of an extension lead. Worked for me.
Bit of a challenge for thread revival but I just noticed this post.
Beware that shaver/toothbrush sockets are a slightly different size to the inverter. The shaver plug pins are thicker, so probably not a good idea to force into the inverter socket.