Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Power Usage

M

MarkW

VIP Member
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone is able to clarify the following?

I was trying to work out what the power consumption would/could be in the living area...

I believe there are two leisure batteries that supply the rear of the Cali?

I assume the fridge and lights consume from the leisure battery does anyone know how much?

Is 150W the maximum including the fridge and lights?

:thanks

The fridge is about 50W so 50/12 gives about 4.2A.

I've no idea what the lights tot up to. Pull the bulbs out and check the rating. Re-apply the calc above to get your consumption.

Add in the diesel heater. Start up is greater load for a short while but once fired all that is required is to run the fan and the fuel pump.

Whatever else you choose to plug into the 12v socket will add to the total.

I think the T5 has an inverter albeit for low output (lap top charging etc) so that will take something from the batteries.

In theory you have two x 75Ah batteries giving 150Ah. At 12v these could in theory provide 1.8kW…..for a very short time!

What were you trying to work out? Leisure battery duration?

S.

Hi Sidepod,

I'm trying to work out what realistically could be connected and working at the same time.

I was looking at a satellite dish and TV (both 12v) and a SKY HD box off the inverter.

If all were connected would that exceed the allowable current limit? (hence why I was asking if anyone was aware of what the other electrical items would use).

Dish - Current Draw + 12v Less than 2 Amps during search (zero consumption whilst stationary)
TV - 22 watts (approx 1.8 Amps on 12V)
HD Box - Power consumption: 45W (max.) / LNB switching +13/+18VDC 275mA MAX/22kHz

Many thanks...

Based on those figures I don't see a problem.

If it's all running at the same time as say, the fridge and diesel heater then your total leisure battery time will be reduced.
Add it all up and work it out against the total of 150A/h (i.e. 150A for 1 hour or 1A for 150 hours)

I always scratch my head when I see caravaners locked away in their vans watching telly. :?:

Each to their own :D

S.

Back