Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

One thousand mile review - T6.1 Beach Tour

B

Brodger3

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
One Thousand mile review

We have had the Beach Tourer now for two months, just completed 1,000 miles. Used it with the three kids every weekend so far with 10 nights completed. We have dubbed it "The Memory Maker". We went from a high specification 2015 T5 Caravelle to the Beach which I put a lot of options on.

First impressions were positive and the service from Clarks in Aberdeen impeccable. The drive is a real step up, smooth and quite, very car-like rather than the van-like T5. My wife commented on the lack of roll in the corners and how quite the engine was. That was in the first thirty minutes of her first time in the van. Kids are over the moon. They love the pop-up roof.

The steering is light and makes for a much more relaxing drive around town. First time with adaptive cruise control and it makes the motorway a breeze. Happy doing the shopping or going for a cruise. I am not missing the power in the smaller engine. It has a different character, less rattle and roar with more of a whistle once warm.

Positives:

No mechanical issues or concerns in first thousand miles.

Look and feel of the dark interior is really to my taste.

I am not finding the cheaper plastics a real issue.

Dash is much improved and I like the white dials, I am not a fan of configurable display screens.

The convenience of the electrical points and charging options is good.

Electric sliding doors are a step change from the T5. Much smoother and quieter and the door handles are electric switches rather than mechanical. The warning beeping has been toned down and is of a shorter duration.

Difficult to find fault, these are very minor quibbles:

No mats in the front, at this price! Luckily dealer stumped up a pair in their deal.

DSG does not seem to hill hold as well as my T5.

Missing the wipe clean Nappa leather on my T5.

Horn seems really quite.

Three kids means I have to get covers or the seats they not going to last like leather.

Not had the camping seats out yet, still in their plastic bags.

The dealer said the following trim fit in the picture was 'normal'. I pointed out the one in the showroom and he said 'well that's an ocean and yours is a beach', salesman patter, what do you think?

IMG_20230817_132139.jpg

The Dream Maker - California Nights

You don’t mention the bellows, so assume you’ve not had any leaks?

Regarding the cover strip trim, there is usually a small 1cm gap either end of that strip . (T6 van)

the strip is simply a “T “shape pressed into a recess channel , a simple wide trim tool allows for it to be popped out and moved if it’s not central.

there should be no difference in Ocean / beach in regards to that floor trim length ! if it’s too short / shorter than an ocean insist on a replacement,, but do it quickly as trim issues are only covered for a short period of time

I hope that helps

Back