Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oops, just bought a Beach!

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Well, this wasn’t supposed to happen! Recently sold our Ocean with a view to getting something a bit bigger with a bathroom, which we still might at some point. Browsing yesterday, as you do, I came across this, a 2009 LHD Beach in what appears to be quite amazing condition. It’s a 2.5 130 manual with 111K miles and full service history. Bought it blind but from a decent dealer with 3 months warranty so hopefully will be all good. Couldn’t resist it, pick up in a couple of weeks!

Last edited:
Congrats. RoseIsle are a Westfalia dealer and highly respected around Edinburgh, so I expect you’ll have a good experience with them.

I was looking at RoseIsle for an Eriba but they are no longer dealers for them. So went to Tebay instead.
Looks like you’ve got yourself a much sought after Beach. Well done!

Congrats. RoseIsle are a Westfalia dealer and highly respected around Edinburgh, so I expect you’ll have a good experience with them.

Thanks, they’ve been very helpful so far. I’m looking forward to having an older van and not being quite so paranoid about where I park it etc! Love the black bumper and steel wheel look.

Looks tidy Elmo, totally understand about parking. I hate leaving ours anywhere. Last year on the ferry to Calais I stayed on the car deck standing in the way so people had to divert away from the van when exiting and then on pins to make sure I was first back down there on arrival.

You will have a slightly longer drive back this time, hope the weather is better than when you picked up your Ocean. :cheers

Congrats on your purchase. It looks very tidy indeed. I love the minimalistic look with the grey paint and steels.

Looks tidy Elmo, totally understand about parking. I hate leaving ours anywhere. Last year on the ferry to Calais I stayed on the car deck standing in the way so people had to divert away from the van when exiting and then on pins to make sure I was first back down there on arrival.

You will have a slightly longer drive back this time, hope the weather is better than when you picked up your Ocean. :cheers

I‘d have been doing the same on the ferry. Yes, the weather can’t be much worse than the Ocean collection! More pics here...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007181391725

It’s got a kitchen pod in it as well. Might look into installing a parking heater to make useable in winter.

Well, this wasn’t supposed to happen! Recently sold our Ocean with a view to getting something a bit bigger with a bathroom, which we still might at some point. Browsing yesterday, as you do, I came across this, a 2009 LHD Beach in what appears to be quite amazing condition. It’s a 2.5 130 manual with 111K miles and full service history. Bought it blind but from a decent dealer with 3 months warranty so hopefully will be all good. Couldn’t resist it, pick up in a couple of weeks!

View attachment 63411View attachment 63412
It's OK. We all make mistakes. :mute
Enjoy. :thumb

Congrats on your purchase. It looks very tidy indeed. I love the minimalistic look with the grey paint and steels.

I love the utilitarian look, along with the manual roof for long term ownership. Will look even better with a set of all terrains on the steels. I’m hoping she’s a goodun, will be properly used as a second car rather than sat on the drive. Will be great in France etc being LHD, although I fear that may be a while away.

Looks just like my 2008 model! Nice one! I'm confused now though: I thought the designation "Beach" was a relatively recent thing - implying a model without the cooker etc. As yours is a LHD, it sounds as though this name was maybe applied much earlier in Europe. Does yours have the cooker and stuff? I just love the story behind these vans, and hope somebody can shed some light.

Looks just like my 2008 model! Nice one! I'm confused now though: I thought the designation "Beach" was a relatively recent thing - implying a model without the cooker etc. As yours is a LHD, it sounds as though this name was maybe applied much earlier in Europe. Does yours have the cooker and stuff? I just love the story behind these vans, and hope somebody can shed some light.

I‘ve done a bit more research and found these pictures. Yes, the Beach was introduced earlier in Europe on the initial T5.I know my van had the orange decals on it which have been removed (thankfully, to be honest!). It’s had a kitchen pod fitted, which will come in handy. We‘ve always slept up top in previous Calis so losing the big downstairs bed is not an issue for us. Looking forward to checking it out in the flesh!
F74D5602-6C68-405A-87CE-3094A1F1FB42.pngC67A445E-5D30-4B78-B603-DBDBAE6F0AB8.png

I don't really get it to be honest.
You sell an Ocean, and you buy a Beach, with kitchen and a 2 seat bench? Isn't that what you had? Apart from the hydraulic roof?

I don't really get it to be honest.
You sell an Ocean, and you buy a Beach, with kitchen and a 2 seat bench? Isn't that what you had? Apart from the hydraulic roof?

I know, it sounds bizarre. I was looking for a second car. The kitchen pod was irrelevant in the decision. I’ve never seen a proper Cali in this condition at this price level. Being an older Cali, I’d never buy one with the electric roof. We’ll have a second vehicle I will actually use because I won’t be terrified of leaving it anywhere (that’s just the way I am), and a camper for road trips for 30% of the cost. It just stacked up to us.

T

View attachment 63411View attachment 63412
That’s lovely.

I‘ve done a bit more research and found these pictures. Yes, the Beach was introduced earlier in Europe on the initial T5.I know my van had the orange decals on it which have been removed (thankfully, to be honest!). It’s had a kitchen pod fitted, which will come in handy. We‘ve always slept up top in previous Calis so losing the big downstairs bed is not an issue for us. Looking forward to checking it out in the flesh!
View attachment 63765View attachment 63766
I quite like the idea of stripes down the side to break up the slab side of the vehicle. But it just doesn't work round the back for me. Perhaps not in orange either.

I quite like the idea of stripes down the side to break up the slab side of the vehicle. But it just doesn't work round the back for me. Perhaps not in orange either.

Agree about the back and the orange (which explains the piping on the front seats). These seem to be the other original stripe colours of the time...

DC568FE6-5EA6-47D1-9D17-265482D73B18.png
3B99B8BC-8177-4527-8480-48B32D6CF1A5.png

Back