Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opinion sort Brandup IsoTop

The thing that put me off external toppers was that if you arrived on site when it was raining hard, you will end up getting soaked putting it on & then have wet clothes to deal with in the van. Whereas the Isotop only needed fitting once.
That’s true, also a very wet topper inside and out.

Plus the fact that if you want to drop the top for security or driving out it’s off and on a lot, which is a real pain.

It’s not easy to fit and I needed additional velcro and I’m still not convinced its fitted properly, but its well worth the money.

I ended up with a cali wrap for that reason, here it can rain for days so drying the roof out could be difficult. The wrap negates a wet roof, as there's only 2 of us generally I'd wait till the rain stops and leave the roof down and then apply topper.
[
We do the same, if it’s raining hard on arrival, we keep the top down

we are going to put some midge net in our topper vents

we are going to put some midge net in our topper vents
Hello Phillip,
I have always avoided coming to your area when those little blighters are about. I have childhood memories of being taken to the Highlands during midge season and being eaten alive. If memory serves they brought on a sort of temporary madness in me when being under full attack. I took it very personally and thought they were out to get me and me alone.

I know the standard roof mesh won't stop them so I assume your using some special very fine stuff? How will you attach it?

When you refit, can Brandrup supply the Velcro and roof tabs or have you found another solution ?
When I bought mine second hand, I needed the tabs as well as Velcro, so wanted the full kit from Brandrup. You can’t buy it direct and have to use one of their UK distributors. Unfortunately the club shop couldn’t supply, so I ordered from Campervantastic. You just let them know which isotop model you have and they liaise with a Brandrup to get the right kit.

Hello Phillip,
I have always avoided coming to your area when those little blighters are about. I have childhood memories of being taken to the Highlands during midge season and being eaten alive. If memory serves they brought on a sort of temporary madness in me when being under full attack. I took it very personally and thought they were out to get me and me alone.

I know the standard roof mesh won't stop them so I assume your using some special very fine stuff? How will you attach it?
I looked at a number of ways to avoid putting holes in the roof material. I ended up doing just the cali fixed roof vents by sowing them in, there's a helpful bead around but the main windows are much harder and would probably require sitting the material. hence netting in the wrap windows and the fixed vents are blocked by the wrap. side windows, retro fitted the VW fly screens with midge net and use a homemade air screen when its raining. all works well, but the all said, avoidance is better !

But the roof canvas doesn't need to be dry when you drop the roof to leave the camp site and anyway it doesn't take long to dry out when you get the chance. As long as it is dried out at the earliest opportunity it'll be fine.

On the other hand, the Caliwrap would need drying before stowing and being quite a big thing it's quite a faf.
Well at our home, a chance to dry might be days, average 181 days and 1500mm per annum compared with say SE england 583mm and 106days. We have had 350 days on year where it rained at some point in the day, 2011. I prefer to get the topper wet and from experience of the windscreen covers (6 yrs of winters) they are fine stuffed in a waterproof dry bag for days. We can dry it if needed with ease in the dedicated drying room we have at home.
If we had a high garage it wouldn’t be an issue to dry the roof.

Just a had a rather windy weekend away, t’other half was unhappy with the draughts coming in when the roof is popped, I must admit it was quite chilly on occasion despite the heater doing a Sterling job.
As the title suggests what is the opinion of ISOTop owners …. Worth the expense?
I bought a very early one when I first got my Cali in 2008. It's started coming unstuck here and there, but easily fixed with two-sided carpet tape. I don't think my love of the old Cali would be anywhere near as deep if it weren't for the ISOtop. I've also learned that you don't have to detach it when you bring the roof down - as long as you slacken the corners and spread it out a bit. Huge difference!