Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Relocation of mains charger

v-tec

v-tec

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Some of you have read about my mains charger (fitted under fridge) has decided to retire from working,
Although I’m going to go the solar route i think it would make sense to still replace the charger just for back up (unless anyone can give a reason why not to)
I’m thinking it would be a good idea to relocate it under the wardrobe above the rear leisure battery
The space I have available (see photo) is where I’m thinking, It’s tight,
Could someone post a photo of the latest Cali set up Leisure battery/charger so I could confirm if it’s doable ,
Many Thanks.7B452E4B-26C5-4D64-90E5-311809A5AF4F.jpeg

Some of you have read about my mains charger (fitted under fridge) has decided to retire from working,
Although I’m going to go the solar route i think it would make sense to still replace the charger just for back up (unless anyone can give a reason why not to)
I’m thinking it would be a good idea to relocate it under the wardrobe above the rear leisure battery
The space I have available (see photo) is where I’m thinking, It’s tight,
Could someone post a photo of the latest Cali set up Leisure battery/charger so I could confirm if it’s doable ,
Many Thanks.View attachment 50568
Yes, that's where the Charger is now fitted.

Yes, that's where the Charger is now fitted.
When I offer the old one in there it’s tight, it will definitely fit but will make removing the leisure battery snug. (Not that that’s a regular occurrence)

The IEC mains lead that feeds the charger I should be able to unclip and pull back from the fridge area to the battery box ,
That would just leave me to just make a small loom consisting of the positive and negative charge wires and the small signal wire that goes to the display,

The IEC mains lead that feeds the charger I should be able to unclip and pull back from the fridge area to the battery box ,
That would just leave me to just make a small loom consisting of the positive and negative charge wires and the small signal wire that goes to the display,
Have you considered leaving the Charger in the original location and improving the ventilation around the fridge?

Well do you know what, I’ve Very much thought of that, and considering the old charger lasted 12 years in that place, it would certainly be a lot easier,
And now I know how hot it gets in there , that’s not a bad shout WG
Maybe I’m just over thinking it,and complicating things,
I agree the latest location is probably the best,
But with some venting of that area what your saying does make sense
Wasn’t there a thread on here years ago about fitting a fan,

Well do you know what, I’ve Very much thought of that, and considering the old charger lasted 12 years in that place, it would certainly be a lot easier,
And now I know how hot it gets in there , that’s not a bad shout WG
Maybe I’m just over thinking it,and complicating things,
I agree the latest location is probably the best,
But with some venting of that area what your saying does make sense
Wasn’t there a thread on here years ago about fitting a fan,
There was, but I can’t find it.

Found it.

Some people have chopped out some of the sidewall in order
to do the earth shunt therefore making it less of a confined space.

That might be an idea.

Some people have chopped out some of the sidewall in order
to do the earth shunt therefore making it less of a confined space.

That might be an idea.
Took my fridge out to do mine, :rolleyes:

I would avoid fitting a fan that just blows warm air around a confined space,
would it have a switch to turn on when the weather is hot or just be running all
the time?
But that is just my opinion.

I would avoid fitting a fan that just blows warm air around a confined space,
would it have a switch to turn on when the weather is hot or just be running all
the time?
But that is just my opinion.
If you insert a vent at the top of the kitchen/fridge wall then you would get a convection current of air and a fan at the bottom vent would make the airflow even better.

If you insert a vent at the top of the kitchen/fridge wall then you would get a convection current of air and a fan at the bottom vent would make the airflow even better.
Yeah, i know what you're saying but i cannot see the need for a fan.

The charger lasted 12yrs and i think the problem was caused with
hooking up to a generator. Just to have a bit more air circulation would
be better, like the one HC did in his battery flap.
Although i cannot really help the OP i am interested because this problem might come to
me one day.

Incase you do decide to move.
This is what it looks like in my 2015 SE.
IMG_20190921_113202.jpg

Just a little update,
I got my new charger today, Really couldn’t decide on a genuine VW. or a C-tek, or victron, the later 2 are excellent chargers but I really wanted to retain the charging amps display, so at twice the price I decided on Genuine,
After all Although my Cali is a 2006 it’s in immaculate condition and everything works as it should,
The new charger is slightly longer by (20 mm) and the part number has changed 3 times, So it’s probably updated,
Anyway all charging now so I’m happy,
Next job will be fitting solar, not for any particular reason other than I want to.71EF02E8-BCA3-458E-B771-E1B97CBF3040.jpegE040EBB1-3870-4A03-9DCA-3084234B65B6.jpeg

What was the damage on the new VW one?

Do you think your old one can be repaired with a new tranny or was it
more than that.

Trade, it was£305 inc vat, obviously no fitting labour for me,
But to be fair it’s only 1/2 hours work, But it would also be fair if there was also 1/2 hour diagnosis,
When I had a look inside it has 3 transformers, the main one smelt hot and burnt and the wires going to the circuit board didn’t look nice
I would imagine there’s a dead short on one of the coil windings and that’s why the fuse blew instantly , it’s 13 years old and they eventually wear out,
I don’t think I would be happy to have it repaired at any cost, It would be on my mind as to if/when it could possibly go up in smoke, Some things just have to be replaced with new.

Trade, it was£305 inc vat, obviously no fitting labour for me,
But to be fair it’s only 1/2 hours work, But it would also be fair if there was also 1/2 hour diagnosis,
When I had a look inside it has 3 transformers, the main one smelt hot and burnt and the wires going to the circuit board didn’t look nice
I would imagine there’s a dead short on one of the coil windings and that’s why the fuse blew instantly , it’s 13 years old and they eventually wear out,
I don’t think I would be happy to have it repaired at any cost, It would be on my mind as to if/when it could possibly go up in smoke, Some things just have to be replaced with new.
Thanks for the info. 305 is not too bad, the same problem
could be heading my way anytime soon so its good to know :thumb

Thanks for the info. 305 is not too bad, the same problem
could be heading my way anytime soon so its good to know :thumb

One other thing did cross my mind was if my generator had damaged it, all though I’ve used it many times probably 100, it’s a pure sine wave inverter, I took it up to the Honda institute where we do our training and checked it out with the peco scope and I am please to say the sine wave was excellent, in fact better than the actual mains grid supply, So I won’t hesitate to ever plug that in again.

Just a little update,
I got my new charger today, Really couldn’t decide on a genuine VW. or a C-tek, or victron, the later 2 are excellent chargers but I really wanted to retain the charging amps display, so at twice the price I decided on Genuine,
After all Although my Cali is a 2006 it’s in immaculate condition and everything works as it should,
The new charger is slightly longer by (20 mm) and the part number has changed 3 times, So it’s probably updated,
Anyway all charging now so I’m happy,
Next job will be fitting solar, not for any particular reason other than I want to.View attachment 50874View attachment 50875
Hi, I an very New at this, but is this only a charger or has it more functions. What I do not understand the electric system. So when i am have a hook-up at a camping the 230 volts run directly to the 230 pointes in my van. and it runs to the charger for charging the batteries. Do I understand it well that the 12 volts system always runs form the batteries, or is it the charger that supplys the 12 volts system and parallel the batteries?

Hi, I an very New at this, but is this only a charger or has it more functions. What I do not understand the electric system. So when i am have a hook-up at a camping the 230 volts run directly to the 230 pointes in my van. and it runs to the charger for charging the batteries. Do I understand it well that the 12 volts system always runs form the batteries, or is it the charger that supplys the 12 volts system and parallel the batteries?
All the camping systems, fridge , rear habitation lights, 12v sockets, Mains voltage Inverter on B pillar, Parking Heater and the Hydraulic Roof run from the 12 v Leisure Batteries, which are charged from the 12v built in charger when on Mains Hookup.

It’s not a power supply: The charger just tops up the batteries when on hook up. Power for your 12v appliances is not drawn from the charger directly.