Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Organising my various Cali Accessories

jonr71

jonr71

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi all, I have found myself with a full van most of the time due to buying stuff I need and just shoving it in the van. The thing is that I don't need all of the things on every trip. I guess I have 4 different modes of operation with the van:
1. Day van/daily drive = no need for bedding, topper, EHU Cables, porta potti etc.
2. Short trips up to 3 nights = bedding etc needed, but no tent or drive away awning
3. Festivals (4 nights, no EHU)
4. Long trips = most stuff.

I want to be able to store all my camper gear in a way that allows me to pack the van quickly for any given trip (so the packing doesn't become a reason for not going!) but that ensures that I don't get to where I am going having forgotten something or having taken too much.

Do you have a system? Do you just take everything? Any suggestions.
I have a garage in which I can put a rack/boxes so I have storage space outside the van.

Last edited:
I would reduce that to two use cases

1+2 + 3 = leave the PP bedding etc in the van. Unless you are always needing the boot to load stuff - very unlikely. Also some additional things in the van always helps to be ready! Only thing you will need to add for 3 - will be clothes.

4. Long trips = most stuff - to the previous use case add - tent/drive away awning.

Will that not work?

The more use cases, the more complex your prep to dash off on an unplanned trip.

As @kurienp said - any particular reason you can’t just leave all the stuff in the van (apart from the awning which I’m guessing is what takes up a lot of space)?

We always have the van packed up and ready to go (including 2 days worth of clothes). That’s one of the big advantages of the Cali. No need to pack and unpack - even with all the traveling stuff in there, there’s still more free storage space left than in an empty car.

As @kurienp said - any particular reason you can’t just leave all the stuff in the van (apart from the awning which I’m guessing is what takes up a lot of space)?

We always have the van packed up and ready to go (including 2 days worth of clothes). That’s one of the big advantages of the Cali. No need to pack and unpack - even with all the traveling stuff in there, there’s still more free storage space left than in an empty car.
Generally my issue is cricket. I often take passengers and their kit to games. 4 people and 4 cricket bags takes up a lot of space. I just move the seat all the way forwards, but that requires some re-packing to make the useful space available to load bags in and out. It's only a summer issue, but that's when it gets most use.

Porta potti stays in the van. Electric cool box stays in the van for shopping and picnics. Also the windscreen and side window blinds as they are more often up to keep the sun out. My van is my normal daily vehicle and I am always moving the seats around. I have taken out the 3 seat bench as it is easier to put my bike in with the 2 rear seats. I also keep the ladder in the van so I do not forget it it, hard getting into the roof with out it and the way I have things no bed in the main area. Storage and packing has evolved as I have had van.

I keep some plates and mugs in the van and a knife roll with my cutlery. This came into it own last Sunday when we went to a party in a village hall and their were no shape knifes. My cheese knife was very useful.

This came into it own last Sunday when we went to a party in a village hall and their were no shape knifes.
ah! the number of times when I have been handed absolutely awful plastic cutlery from village hall parties and takeaways. I have just gone to the van and picked up the cutlery and enjoyed the meal. :thumb

... but I digress from the thread ...