Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Outside ground sheet or mat.

jonr71

jonr71

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I bought a basic ground sheet to outside the sliding door under the awning, but it’s not that great and doesn’t fit the space especially well. What have others bought for this purpose? Pictures, links and feedback would be appreciated.

Green plastic mesh - think 'scaffolding protection' or wind screening for gardens. Relatively lightweight, rolls up easily and allows any rain to drain away. Same material is also useful for providing shade - as seen on continental sites. Materials sold to 'allow the ground to breathe' tend to be rubberised and quite heavy ... and expensive.
If you happen to be travelling in areas where olives are grown and harvested - e.g. Greece, Italy, Spain - lightweight black plastic mesh is used to cover the ground to collect the falling fruit and so, is easily obtainable from local hardware stores at sensible prices.

We’re also on the lookout for one of these - must be : porous, lightweight, compact, foldable, washable, preferably with eyelets. Got to be some breathable groundsheets around but ones seen so far are bulky.

I bought a basic ground sheet to outside the sliding door under the awning, but it’s not that great and doesn’t fit the space especially well. What have others bought for this purpose? Pictures, links and feedback would be appreciated.
Screenshot_20230706_084503_Amazon Shopping.jpgm

Thanks - that's the other issue with the one I have at the moment - it's not porous so the rain just pools on the surface. This looks ideal.
We have no complaints. Just got back from a five week trip and saw quite a few others using the same.

Why do people need these ,when they are wet not nice to put away, just more stuff to carry around and take up storage space use up a small foot mat if anything.

Why do people need these ,when they are wet not nice to put away, just more stuff to carry around and take up storage space use up a small foot mat if anything.
Because different sites/locations have different conditions on the ground. It's almost like an extended doormat for me, preventing too much mud, gravel, grass etc. getting into the van. I just find it a more comfortable under foot too. It's also one of those things for me that are not taking up space when I'm parked up and I don't notice the space it takes when I'm driving. (a bit like my duvalay mattress). I agree that when wet it's annoying, but I prefer to have it.

View attachment 110715
Try something like this. They turn up at campervan events. Light plastic woven mat. They come with a bag. I jetwash mine after a muddy trip.
For one of the VW mats, Google “the outdoor matting company” they have a website & face book page.

VW mat is not on the website anymore, VW made them go “official “ licensed product , but it is still on FB page (or email them)

they have some other nice designs

It never occurred to me to get one of these, until we were on a nice campsite in northern Spain, where everyone had a little mat under their awning, plus table and table lamp!

We use the same - OLPRO Outdoor Leisure Products OLTEX Woven Breathable Caravan/Motorhome/Tent/Outdoor Groundsheet Carpet https://amzn.eu/d/jjUTRON
Quick drying too

Green plastic mesh - think 'scaffolding protection' or wind screening for gardens. Relatively lightweight, rolls up easily and allows any rain to drain away. Same material is also useful for providing shade - as seen on continental sites. Materials sold to 'allow the ground to breathe' tend to be rubberised and quite heavy ... and expensive.
If you happen to be travelling in areas where olives are grown and harvested - e.g. Greece, Italy, Spain - lightweight black plastic mesh is used to cover the ground to collect the falling fruit and so, is easily obtainable from local hardware stores at sensible prices.
I totally agree with you. I’m from thr Basque Country and mostly travel around Spain and southern France. At campsites (campings), most people use that type of groundsheet. It is true they aren’t stylish, but we look for practicality. On the positive side, you can buy it in large sizes; i.e. 6x6, 8x7, etc.

Usually,
‘Malla antihierbas’ is used as groundsheet.
‘Malla sombreadora’ is used as shade sheet.

An earlier Post referred to Interlocking mats from Amazon. Check out your local Aldi store, this month six mats for about twelve quid. Fantastic!
Agree, 2 sets and you can get a waterproof bag. Sits on the floor when travelling and slide under the van if not used for overnight stops.

If you are on uneven ground or grass don't these become detached from one another when stepped on? I see them as a great option for concrete or tarmac.
Personally, not had a problem. You have to press the tabs in and i can move the completed mat easily.in one piece.

I want one of these, but they seem so expensive for a mat!
It seems to be made out of recycled plastic. Works very well for us. You can just hose it down. £50 maybe a bit much but it works well and the bag is very useful for sticking it in the van.

Back