Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Outwell Lakecrest DriveAway Awning - initial thoughts

LucyYorkshire

LucyYorkshire

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Bought this purely on the strength of the Outwell name as we’ve bought a few tents from them over the years and have been impressed with them. There are no reviews anywhere of it and only one place I can see has stock online (although I was told more due in on the Outwell website soon). Wanted to buy it from the club shop but it’s been out of stock since it was launched earlier this year.

So, pretty easy to put up - 2 poles and lots of pegs. We bought the Outwell DriveAway Awning kit which worked well for us and easy to reattach. It rained fairly heavily for a couple of hours but no water pooled on the roof of the ‘tunnel bit’ which we were looking out for (due I think to the very good tensioning straps either side of the roof of the tunnel where the doors are).

Not sure what it will be like in strong winds - I’ll update when we experience that! We had a teeny bit of water coming in at the sides that meet the van but that could be due to my pitching skills but it seems they all do that a bit!

I recommend it highly. It’s pretty lightweight - I think around 11kg. I personably really liked the fact that it has fly screens in all but one window - maybe all the DriveAways have this but as I’ve never bought one before so I don’t know. Any questions happy to answer (if I can!).

0CB45934-3439-46AE-827E-1613F169A5B6.jpeg

489968C9-8F3E-41D0-985C-D1E82AD1B4E5.jpeg

5883002D-31FA-43D1-9077-40EA432B92DC.jpeg

Hi @LucyYorkshire! I've just started to look and am curious to know how you're getting on with it? The hubby and I have differing opinions on this – he's a minimalist, and I fancy a little more living space for longer trips in the UK.

I invested in some side panels via Brandrup for the wind-out awning last year but realised quite quickly that these are probably not practical with UK weather.

So how are you finding it? Easy to put up and take down? Any negatives?
Why did you go for this one rather than any air version?

Thanks so much
Katy

Everyone will have their own thoughts on awnings. We thought we would get one for the extra space. Extra space we got but also a whole heap of hassel putting it up and down which became my job. In short it was a compete pain and very severely detracted from the enjoyment of the van. Even my wife gave up. Everything about it became a pain, storing it, putting up, taking down - especially when wet then having to put it up again to dry out. This experience drove up towards minimalism. The first trip we made without it was such a pleasure. Since then we have binned so much stuff (only two of us) that we now have empty cupboard. Some on here love awnings, we hate them. Maybe try trips without one first, borrow one if you can. Whatever you do enjoy the experience.

Everyone will have their own thoughts on awnings. We thought we would get one for the extra space. Extra space we got but also a whole heap of hassel putting it up and down which became my job. In short it was a compete pain and very severely detracted from the enjoyment of the van. Even my wife gave up. Everything about it became a pain, storing it, putting up, taking down - especially when wet then having to put it up again to dry out. This experience drove up towards minimalism. The first trip we made without it was such a pleasure. Since then we have binned so much stuff (only two of us) that we now have empty cupboard. Some on here love awnings, we hate them. Maybe try trips without one first, borrow one if you can. Whatever you do enjoy the experience.
Thank you! I think I'd have to agree that we'd prefer a minimalist approach. I guess I wanted to create a little waterproof haven, somewhere to store muddy boots and the potti. But you're right. So right. I don't think it'd suit our needs.

I've got three perfectly good side panels for the awning for warmer weather – and some storm guy ropes for the awning to keep it stable.

I'm going to instead purchase a waterproof side panel, and some hard ground pegs and a new mallet. Saving myself approximately £350.

Thanks Wildcamper. And Lucy, I'm still eager to hear your thoughts as I'm always changing my mind! Lol!!!

Thank you! I think I'd have to agree that we'd prefer a minimalist approach. I guess I wanted to create a little waterproof haven, somewhere to store muddy boots and the potti. But you're right. So right. I don't think it'd suit our needs.

I've got three perfectly good side panels for the awning for warmer weather – and some storm guy ropes for the awning to keep it stable.

I'm going to instead purchase a waterproof side panel, and some hard ground pegs and a new mallet. Saving myself approximately £350.

Thanks Wildcamper. And Lucy, I'm still eager to hear your thoughts as I'm always changing my mind! Lol!!!
Hi @LucyYorkshire! I've just started to look and am curious to know how you're getting on with it? The hubby and I have differing opinions on this – he's a minimalist, and I fancy a little more living space for longer trips in the UK.

I invested in some side panels via Brandrup for the wind-out awning last year but realised quite quickly that these are probably not practical with UK weather.

So how are you finding it? Easy to put up and take down? Any negatives?
Why did you go for this one rather than any air version?

Thanks so much
Katy
Hi Katy,

We’ve used the awning on a few trips now and still really like it. Easy to put up and down and with the awning kit it’s pretty easy to reattach. The only negative we have found is that the fly screen windows have to have their curtains closed when it’s raining so the awning doesn’t get wet which makes it a teeny bit dark but you can still see out of the large plastic window out the front. It’s good in wind and does not pool water. Would I buy it again? Probably as I still haven’t seen another awning that fits my criteria of brand/size/weight/cost etc. We wanted it so our dogs could lounge around outside the van a bit more in rainy weather etc but frankly they just sleep inside the van with us when we’re there during the day (they’re lazy!). We are going to try not to take the awning with us as much as possible but it is handy to have in our armoury of options which also consists of the Brandrup sides. We bought a Colapz shower tent which has been amazing for storing stuff in
We REALLY rate this product to hang wet clothes in/store boots/PortaPotti etc. It’s bullet proof.

Any more questions please just shout!

Hi Katy,

We’ve used the awning on a few trips now and still really like it. Easy to put up and down and with the awning kit it’s pretty easy to reattach. The only negative we have found is that the fly screen windows have to have their curtains closed when it’s raining so the awning doesn’t get wet which makes it a teeny bit dark but you can still see out of the large plastic window out the front. It’s good in wind and does not pool water. Would I buy it again? Probably as I still haven’t seen another awning that fits my criteria of brand/size/weight/cost etc. We wanted it so our dogs could lounge around outside the van a bit more in rainy weather etc but frankly they just sleep inside the van with us when we’re there during the day (they’re lazy!). We are going to try not to take the awning with us as much as possible but it is handy to have in our armoury of options which also consists of the Brandrup sides. We bought a Colapz shower tent which has been amazing for storing stuff in
We REALLY rate this product to hang wet clothes in/store boots/PortaPotti etc. It’s bullet proof.

Any more questions please just shout!

Such fantastic feedback, thank you. I think I'm going to put the awning on ice for now. If anything, for longer trips, I might get one of these pop-up tents that are easy to set up and pack away – somewhere we can throw our gear into when venturing out for the day. Although, thinking about it – don't they charge more on UK sites for these extras? Perhaps I really will take a minimalist approach. Thanks again! :)

Back