Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Packing check list

Granny O

Granny O

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just about to go off on our first trip since lockdown.So excitied! Does anyone have a downloadable checklist for packing? I'm nervous that we forget something vital, such as a duvet or a cork screw!

Here is a list I use sometimes. Maybe too much on there, and some items missing, but it's a start if you need help. At the end of the day it is very individual what gets packed/left, and it varies by destination, duration, and who is coming along. For example, I've never taken a BBQ, but it's on the list. If only a couple of days, then no clothes washing stuff or pop-up tent. A tarp is a new addition for me, and worked out well last time - I already have poles and pegs from camping days. The harmonica is because I always wanted to learn it, but on a campsite is possibly not the best time for that!

VW Packing List
  • EATING
    • - stove, fuel, lighter & matches
    • - cooking table/stove stand
    • - fridge
    • - frying pan, pots, kettle, ladle, sharp knife, chopping board
    • - plates, bowls, cutlery, cups, water bottle/carrier
    • - salt & pepper, olive oil, herbs, spices
    • - menu plan
    • - BBQ, fuel, lighters, gloves, tongs
  • SLEEPING
    • - pillows, sleeping bags, ear plugs
  • WEARING
    • - underwear: socks, pants, t-shirts, swimming costume
    • - overwear: trousers, jumper, fleece, shorts
    • - outerwear: coat, hats, shoes, boots, flip-flops, (sun)glasses
  • CLEANING
    • - wet wipes, kitchen roll, washing up liquid, dishcloth, scourer/brush, tea-towel
    • - washing powder, softener, washing line
    • - washing up bucket
    • - towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, medication, creams, loo roll, insect repellant, sun cream, first aid kit
  • ENJOYING
    • - (double) camp chair(s), blanket(s)
    • - hammock
    • - pop-up tent
    • - wine, spirits, beer
    • - radio, binoculars, star chart, maps/guidebooks, compass
    • - books, games, diary, notepad, pen, harmonica
    • - phones and chargers, 12v charger plug, headphones, solar panel
    • - computer and charger
  • OTHER
    • - levelling chocks
    • - tarpaulin, poles, rope, tent pegs
    • - extension cable and conversion plugs
    • - lanterns & hangers

and dont forget facemasks, personal toilet roll, hand gel and proper cleaning spray

I use an app called AnyList. I got it primarily for shopping and task lists integration with Alexa but it allows you to create custom lists and categorise within your custom lists. I have added all of my camping equipment and also created categories for sleep, meals, clothes, pre-trip jobs (charging various batteries etc). The app also allows you to create sub-lists, which as implied, allows you to create sub-categorised lists for which I have created things like ‘Long Trip’ and ‘Short Trip!

I find it very helpful!

I just use a .TXT file and erase everything I have put in the van.
Everything still on the list, I have to get in the van.
Plain simple.

I just use a .TXT file and erase everything I have put in the van.
Everything still on the list, I have to get in the van.
Plain simple.
I started off with a .txt but as I already had AnyList, decided to give it a go. It has a feature that allows you to strike through anything you add and I have also shared the list with the wife, so if she packs anything (or everything as the case maybe) she can also strike stuff off.

You guys are so modern! My list of everything for 4-6 weeks of hiking/mountain biking is screen shots of four hand written pages in Catalan. Works for me, but hard to share.

But just in case anyone is curious about what Catalan looks like:

24C90B7E-0532-4A07-8DE7-DEE9784FBF3F.pngE8D5D344-675D-4A28-A5CA-5CAEA04E5C3B.png724B8055-981A-45AD-AE14-6971F540A95E.png3AFFF8CD-63B7-4DA2-963A-3F91635878D5.png
The list was made for 5 weeks in Scotland last year (epic), which is why careful eyes will see “midges,” no Catalan word for them!

Currently serving us for 5 weeks in Austrian Alps.

Last edited:
Just come back after 3 days in Dorset with my Grandson on a bonding weekend. Wife forgot to pack bedding. He had a sleeping bag and i had the blanket off the rear seat and 2 bottles of wine for my birthday. Weather was good and with the wine I slept ok.

Just come back after 3 days in Dorset with my Grandson on a bonding weekend. Wife forgot to pack bedding. He had a sleeping bag and i had the blanket off the rear seat and 2 bottles of wine for my birthday. Weather was good and with the wine I slept ok.
Umm - if it was just you and your grandson why didn’t you do your own packing?

The Cali is always packed, apart from water and food. E bags of clothes swapped according to season and anything used replaced on return ready for next trip. Any consumables replaced.

Just about to go off on our first trip since lockdown.So excitied! Does anyone have a downloadable checklist for packing? I'm nervous that we forget something vital, such as a duvet or a cork screw!
We keep our Cali packed ready to go. The day after returning from a trip we clean it inside and out. Then clean and air boots, walking shoes and if used waterproof trousers and jacket, these are then returned to the van same day. Next fresh packing cubes of clothes are put into the Vanessa bags. The only things we need to add before leaving on the next trip is food/water. This system works for us better than packing for individual trips each time.

Here's one that has been 40 years in the making. Some oddities because our Beach has been stripped of its VW folding seat and locker, replaced by a diy folding bed base and storage. Please help yourself.
1597177987860.png

Basic camping essentials left in van year round. I have prepackaged really useful boxes for each activity, and pack accordingly. My first aid kit has face masks and gel now added to the list.
Packing cubes are essential for keeping clothes organised.

When we started out we formulated this list to help with getting rid of "dead wood" items.
Has it helped ? I don't think the "Cali shuffle" will ever end ! Some items are in and out so much they are doing the Hokey Cokey.

Attachments

• Dotty Bus list.pdf
    157.6 KB · Views: 65
Back