Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

PANIC MODE: How do i find out what capacity Diesel tank our Ocean has?

Has to be more nuanced than that as those calcs don't take into account 150 vs 204, 4Mo, DSG vs 6 speed, manual pop top vs hydraulics. The Oceans pop top hydraulics and associated gubbins have to come with a significant weight penalty. However it was achieved I am glad VW managed to squeeze it on board.
The calcs don't need to be more complicated than that, the mass in running order takes care of differences between models / engines etc, deduct mass in running order from Max Authorised Mass & you are left with the payload.
That payload has to be a minimum amount based on number of possible passengers & length of vehicle.

Does anyone have a copy of a brochure showing weights etc of a 204 4motion coast.

As it's only ever been 150 2wd in the uk its hard to do an accurate comparison, the attached shows a coast being 58kg lighter than an Ocean with the same engine, however thats comparing a Coast with 16" brakes with an ocean with the 17" chassis. I know to have 5 seats in the Coast you needed the larger brakes adding which in turn increase the MAM to 3080 to match the Ocean.
To have the larger tank we are only looking for 0.85kg x 10 saving in weight elsewhere to offset it.

IMG_5580.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone have a copy of a brochure showing weights etc of a 204 4motion coast.

As it's only ever been 150 2wd in the uk its hard to do an accurate comparison, the attached shows a coast being 42kg lighter than an Ocean with the same engine, however thats comparing a Coast with 16" brakes with an ocean with the 17" chassis. I know to have 5 seats in the Coast you needed the larger brakes adding which in turn increase the MAM to 3080 to match the Ocean.
To have the larger tank we are only looking for 0.85kg x 10 saving in weight elsewhere to offset it.

View attachment 103949
weights.jpg

Can't find anything on Google, but the brochure might be saved from that period on Caliboard.de. I'll take a look later.

That doesn't show the weight of a 4motion coat to compare with a 4motion Ocean.
Guestimate, 58kgs lighter than an Ocean.

4Motion Coast, 2620kgs, 460kgs payload.

...but be interested to hear what the actual figure is.

Guestimate, 58kgs lighter than an Ocean.

4Motion Coast, 2620kgs, 460kgs payload.

...but be interested to hear what the actual figure is.

I think the difference is less than that as basic uk coast had the 16" chassis not the 17" that the basic Ocean had. So smaller wheels and brakes. Even so I would have thought the difference would be more than sufficient to cover 10 litres of Diesel.

The other thing is, we don't know what else is not standard on a European Van compared to UK, night heater or awning could both be options that would give more headroom in the payload figure.

well, i just went in to configure a new Ocean on the VW website, same config as my T6.
4Motion disappeared from the German website, but the 80L is still available.

Does anybody know where the PR code sticker is located on the T6.1

That may be true for a 4motion coast but they have never been available here.

At the same time that people on here mentioned options being removed at build stage due to weight problems, the option of the bigger tank disappeared off the 4 motion configurator.
Andy It is another UK specific like only getting 6 seats in a beach not 7. Continental options allow for 4motion, 80 litres etc. The how and why of it I don’t claim to understand but it’s not one size fits all.

Andy It is another UK specific like only getting 6 seats in a beach not 7. Continental options allow for 4motion, 80 litres etc. The how and why of it I don’t claim to understand but it’s not one size fits all.
Our 2012 Beach came with 7 seats + 80l tank; So could just be a cost cutting exercise over the years, and/or limiting weight to meet emissions figure.

Our 2012 Beach came with 7 seats + 80l tank; So could just be a cost cutting exercise over the years, and/or limiting weight to meet emissions figure.
The 2 seater Beach will only have a maximum 6 seats.

suspect the latter is true, but could be a type approval on variants allowed to import due to small volumes? Destined to remain one of life's mysteries.