Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking Heater - internal/external noise?

R

rodbateman

The parking heater seems to be well praised - I'm wondering how noisy it is internally and externally - would it disturb fellow campers? What are the protocols of using such heaters overnight on campsites?

Many thanks
Rod

We used ours for the first time on Saturday and I was surprised by the noise. It's like a ticking of a clock, no real noise outside to worry about.
It's a bit annoying to start with but I soon fell asleep with it ticking away, the kids didn't complain :thumb

Got the ticking noise inside which comes and goes and quite a loud blowing noise outside on ours. Put it in first thing theorist morning and when I went outside was surprised just how loud it was.

The noise of the heater is less than the noise my wife's teeth would make if she got cold :eek:

I am personally more concerned by the exhaust fumes than the noise. that is why I always avoid camping close to tents, especially a tent which is below the van.
Andrzej

Andresz said:
I am personally more concerned by the exhaust fumes than the noise. that is why I always avoid camping close to tents, especially a tent which is below the van.
Andrzej

Also could be a problem if you have an awning attached as the exhaust is on the right hand side as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for replies. I'll be in the ultra cautious camp and not use this heater whilst sleeping irrespective of the noise. The wife can put an extra jumper on or get warm in some other way:)

Andresz said:
Andrzej

I totally agree, the smell of fumes is terrible and once our awning is attached it's actually dangerous ! The exhaust fumes come out of the same side as the sliding door and traps the fumes in the awning !!

I can't believe this has past a safety check or has not caused harm to someone, even without the awning the fumes are unbearable and seem to be coming back into the van !!

Personally I do not worry too much about the noise.

A few feet away from the vehicle on most campsites and it's inaudible with all the other background noise going on.

I've just come back from a couple of weeks in France and Belgium, mostly on Aires where vehicles are quite close together, and no complaints. After all, if it's cold enough to need it running at night then it's cold enough for most other happy campers to sleep with their windows closed and if you can hardly hear it in your own closed van then you are not going to hear it in a closed van parked a few metres away.

Inside noise, yes there is the ticking, that's about all, and the point is soon reached where the senses become so accustomed to it that it does not even register.

One of the great pleasures to me about the Cali is being camped in foul, cold weather and being wrapped up all snug and warm inside, a lovely cosy feeling and what woollie slipper-socks were made for.

As Pete has pointed out ... FIRE ANGEL... for £20 an indispensable companion.

Another vote for the CO detector.

The noise is minor but I did avoid using the heater only when the air is very still and there are others nearby as the smell does linger. However the smell does not enter the vehicle so I'm not to worried about the fumes (with the usual precautions).

Some sort of rerouting of the heater exhaust would be a useful and I do wonder why it has not been addressed.

Back