Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking our new Ocean

D

David and Jill

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We are loving our new Ocean which is the first campervan we have owned. It is now our only vehicle so we are going to need to park in Leeds at some point. We used to use the John Lewis multistorey but are a bit nervous about height limits, what is a really safe height? Anyone parked up in Leeds John Lewis OK?

2.1m is no problem. 2m can be sphincter puckering so using a spotter is a good idea. Always best practice to park on ground level.
Totally agree, avoid 2m unless you have a willing and capable passenger to guide you in.
2.1m gives an extra 4” or so and should be fine, especially on paved car parks.

Thanks for the reassurance I saw a video with someone saying it is easy to catch the awning going up ramps and was not sure if the cali height took account of the awning as well

Thanks for the reassurance I saw a video with someone saying it is easy to catch the awning going up ramps and was not sure if the cali height took account of the awning as well
Its trigonometry. The relative height will increase markedly as the front wheels hit the ramp and rears trail on the flat. I usually hit ramps at an angle to reduce the effect. It's why I suggested parking on the ground floor in a 2m restricted carpark.

We are loving our new Ocean which is the first campervan we have owned. It is now our only vehicle so we are going to need to park in Leeds at some point. We used to use the John Lewis multistorey but are a bit nervous about height limits, what is a really safe height? Anyone parked up in Leeds John Lewis OK?
We also are newbies. Looking forward to those challenges. My wife Julie took her daughter and 2 granddaughters out last Sunday for a Mother's day picnic, first outing in our Ocean. Only to find a 2m barrier at the entrance to the car park. She gave it a swerve and parked in a nearby trading estate car park. Not quite the experience she expected.

We never go in multi-storey carparks nowadays after a bad experience some years ago. The entrance barrier height was ok, but found that inside the ceiling sloped down lower. We decided to leave but the exit barrier arm wouldn't lift high enough. I had to get out & lift it further; we got through ok & then drove off but with the guy shouting at us. Never again.