Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Passenger side sliding window replacement

T

Trevor Munro

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,

Can anyone help i need to replace the Passenger sliding window above the cooker, does this need to be a genuine VW part or are there cheaper replacements i have heard the cost £750 for a new unit ?

Thanks

Trevor

Hi,

Can anyone help i need to replace the Passenger sliding window above the cooker, does this need to be a genuine VW part or are there cheaper replacements i have heard the cost £750 for a new unit ?

Thanks

Trevor

Trevor, others will be on here to advise on the replacement, but it will definitely help to know why you have to get it replaced? Also, a few pics describing the issue may help us to help you better.

We discovered mine in a T6 Ocean were leaking and failed the VW test - meaning they would be replaced under warranty. However, the VW protocol for replacing sliding windows in an Ocean requires the kitchen to be taken out... so I said no thank you, and bought a good quality dehumidifier instead...
I see you have a T5... so the issue may be different?

We discovered mine in a T6 Ocean were leaking and failed the VW test - meaning they would be replaced under warranty. However, the VW protocol for replacing sliding windows in an Ocean requires the kitchen to be taken out... so I said no thank you, and bought a good quality dehumidifier instead...
I see you have a T5... so the issue may be different?
Mine was replaced without taking the kitchen out. It can be done.

Trevor, others will be on here to advise on the replacement, but it will definitely help to know why you have to get it replaced? Also, a few pics describing the issue may help us to help you better.
Thanks,

The glass is all scratched so needs replacing unfortunatley i see there are plenty of aftermarket windows but not sure if they fit

Thanks,

The glass is all scratched so needs replacing unfortunatley i see there are plenty of aftermarket windows but not sure if they fit
Aftermarket windows are normally new fits so the hole is cut to fit the glass.
I would get a quote from VW to supply and fit. Also check Autoglass or equivalent and also good Conversion companies. The kitchen Does not need to be removed.

Thanks,

Are you just talking about the section of the window that slides? Not the complete side glass panel.

Aftermarket windows are normally new fits so the hole is cut to fit the glass.
I would get a quote from VW to supply and fit. Also check Autoglass or equivalent and also good Conversion companies. The kitchen Does not need to be removed.
The OP is local to me and the VW dealer here advised me the kitchen needs taking out to replace the window. So if he’s going to ask VW he may want to go to a different dealer.

If it is just the glass etc that you need, then check out ebay.

There are loads of genuine California bits on there.

Are you just talking about the section of the window that slides? Not the complete side glass panel.
It is possible to just fit the sliding window panel.

I had the off side sliding window replaced some time ago on out T5.1.
The local VW body shop (Heritage at Westbury as was) was able to source and fit (while we waited) just the sliding window.
All other body shops quoted for the whole window insisting the slider was not available as item on its own.
Alan

It is possible to just fit the sliding window panel.

I had the off side sliding window replaced some time ago on out T5.1.
The local VW body shop (Heritage at Westbury as was) was able to source and fit (while we waited) just the sliding window.
All other body shops quoted for the whole window insisting the slider was not available as item on its own.
Alan
I agree but I‘m not clear if the OP needs the complete panel or just the sliding bit, which as you say is a quick job.

Back