Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

PCP and depreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmhmm... love you too :kiss

Moderator - I can't see how to delete my account, so if you can do it please do. Logging out now.
We consider ourselves newcomers to the forum as we have only been members for about 9 months. We have been welcomed & received valuable advice during that time. Yes there have been a small number of occasions when we have have had a sharp intake of breath when reading posts between some members that have been quite rude & scathing. But we believe the majority of the time you would receive honest helpful comments and advice, if you stay around to engage in polite respectful debate.

The original topic relates to depreciation which is affected by how fast the electric technology is being introduced

Depreciation in electric vehicles is horrific.

Still
I think was touched on above, I imagine most people will lease them rather than own them in the future.

Someone has to pay. All factored into the lease price. We buy outright so need to consider and factor in depreciation. I allowed the Wife to buy an 6 series convertible back in 2008 and even though we managed nearly 10k off list the car was hit by depreciation that cost us 33,5k in 3.5years / 21k miles.

I looked at an I3 in early 2015 and walked away, buying an Outlander Hybrid instead, citing to BMW that depreciation would be too great. I looked again in 2019 and walked away again and bought another hybrid, a CHR this time.

I would have no concerns about buying a 6.1. (If I was looking for one). I wouldn't however pay list price for it

Sale of petrol and diesel to be banned five years earlier, as Boris Johnson reveals climate change drive
It is believed the Prime Minister will speed up plans to ban petrol and diesel cars

ByDanielle Sheridan, POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT2 February 2020 • 7:26pm
Premium
Boris Johnson has promised a clean energy revolution

The sale of petrol and diesel cars will be banned five years earlier than planned, under a climate change drive to be unveiled by Boris Johnson.
The Government announced in 2017 that it would impose a ban on diesel and petrol cars from 2040 as part of an effort to tackle air pollution.
However the Prime Minister is said to be speeding up the plans with a view to implementing the ban by 2035.
The idea was first mooted by Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, in October last year, when he indicated that 2035 was a target he would like to aim for.
“The government’s own advisory committee on climate change said 2035 is a date for which we should aim,” he told the Conservative Party

I dont have any spare cash but i do recall my accountant saying ‘if you can find an investemnt where the sales persons commission is truly related to its performance year on year, let me know? I haven't found one’.

UK could ban sale of petrol and diesel cars in 12 years, says Shapps
Transport secretary’s disclosure of earlier target likely to rattle carmakers

Jasper Jolly
Published: 13:44 Wednesday, 12 February 2020
Follow Jasper Jolly

The government could ban the sale of petrol and diesel cars in 2032, three years earlier than previously suggested, the transport secretary has said.
A consultation launched last week suggested all cars with internal combustion engines could be banned from 2035 but Grant Shapps told BBC radio on Wednesday the ban could come within 12 years.
The ban would happen by 2035 – or even 2032, subject to consultation, he said.

Volkswagen to hit 1m electric cars milestone two years early
Carmaker says it expects to reach 1m by end of 2023 and 1.5m by end of 2025

Jasper Jolly
Published: 18:00 Friday, 27 December 2019
Follow Jasper Jolly

Volkswagen has accelerated its push into electric cars, as company forecasts suggest the world’s largest carmaker will produce its millionth battery electric vehicle two years earlier than previously planned.
The core Volkswagen brand will have turned out 1m battery-only cars by the end of 2023 and will reach 1.5m by the end of 2025, the Wolfsburg-based manufacturer said on Friday.

I can’t decide whether to go and get a huge diesel generator so I can charge an electric car. Or have I missed the point of the potential ban?

I think it’s great news. Perhaps you need to cheer up!
Me, I am happy and always an optimist. But also enjoy life today and look positive with a touch of realism towards tomorrow. As for my California use it to the max while others worry.

Me, I am happy and always an optimist. But also enjoy life today and look positive with a touch of realism towards tomorrow. As for my California use it to the max while others worry.
You seem to be taking this progress in electric vehicle technology a little personally.
Who do you think is worrying and not enjoying their California everyday? Being informed is a positive thing.
I’m having a lovely time in Sweden today!
DADC73AF-C3FC-4C08-8161-BC12B1B0547C.jpeg

Out of interest, why do you say that? Most people say it's due to range anxiety, but VW says the ID Buzz will go 373 miles on a charge, and that's only 2 years away.
We've an electric car and a Cali.
Our EV car , like our friends don't make the range stated on cold days for example or if driving fast, or driving up steep mountains.
There has to be radical change and we need to see a real world range of 350 to 500 in all conditions before the ICE is finished

We've an electric car and a Cali.
Our EV car , like our friends don't make the range stated on cold days for example or if driving fast, or driving up steep mountains.
There has to be radical change and we need to see a real world range of 350 to 500 in all conditions before the ICE is finished

Some of the latest EVs are finally getting there with range.
I’m borderline considering buying one. The main reason is to reduce my dependency on Russian oil after what’s gone on in Ukraine and transferring some of my journeys to an EV car.
The SEAT Born looks tempting.

I’m borderline considering buying one. The main reason is to reduce my dependency on Russian oil after what’s gone on in Ukraine and transferring some of my journeys to an EV car.
With you on all that , we have an EV and a plug in hybrid for longer trips ...we love them and for day to day driving I think nows the time, we use the Seat Mii electric as a local shopping car , fantastic car, such amazing value too, then a Kia Niro plugin for longer trips a lovely car too which does exactly everything we need in quietness and comfort.
However I just can't think its going to be practical for a long long time for the Cali to be EV....a Cali needs to be sble to cover off 500 miles in a day , any weather ....hybrid maybe ...can't imagine the price , mine now new in Europe (I live in France ) is 111, 000 euro ....add an electric engine or two 125 k plus ????

Get some solar panels + battery fitted at home and pay approx 11p per kw for all your home energy (incl charging the car):

With you on all that , we have an EV and a plug in hybrid for longer trips ...we love them and for day to day driving I think nows the time, we use the Seat Mii electric as a local shopping car , fantastic car, such amazing value too, then a Kia Niro plugin for longer trips a lovely car too which does exactly everything we need in quietness and comfort.
However I just can't think its going to be practical for a long long time for the Cali to be EV....a Cali needs to be sble to cover off 500 miles in a day , any weather ....hybrid maybe ...can't imagine the price , mine now new in Europe (I live in France ) is 111, 000 euro ....add an electric engine or two 125 k plus ????

I’m happy with the Cali for long distance stuff.
My works van is a Nissan EV which I’ve had since 2017. It was frustrating to begin with, mainly because this first generation of batteries were so small. The newer vans are double the range of my current vehicle.
Plus, now we’re seeing 250/300 miles from a single charge, I think we’ve finally hit a point where electric works. It’s a bit like digital cameras, they didn’t take off until 3&5Mega pixels turned up…

Get some solar panels + battery fitted at home and pay approx 11p per kw for all your home energy (incl charging the car):

I’ve got a plan for a big renovation next year. Definitely worth me looking into this, thanks :thumb

Or using the heating or air conditioning.
And what will happen when there are (as already) far too few and too slow charging points for the number of EVs. The charging infrastructure is years behind the growth in EV ownership.

How is the rise in energy costs affecting charging costs, e.g. has anyone got real time data on costs a year ago compared with today for a full charge on their drive?

Or using the heating or air conditioning.
And what will happen when there are (as already) far too few and too slow charging points for the number of EVs. The charging infrastructure is years behind the growth in EV ownership.
It seems to be catching up...
https://www.zap-map.com/electric-vehicle-charging-2022/
As long as you can charge over night at home, I see the latest 250mile+ range EV's, capable of a 70% charge in 30 mins, as being suitable for the majority of UK domestic users.

Well yes but that's after you've paid out about £10,000 for a Tesla Powerwall plus several thousand more for the PVs. Also, that pricing scheme only covers up to £9,500 kWh per year, which is less than the average household uses for all energy uses.

As far as charging an EV is concerned, well okay but a keep in mind a Tesla car battery takes 100 kWh (okay you don't necessarily need to recharge it fully each day if you're only doing short distances) whereas a Powerwall stores only 13.5 kWh and your rooftop PVs will even then only be able to replenish that on a sunny summer day. So unless you're only pottering around locally your £15k Solar+Powerwall investment isn't even going to be able to cover your car usage (and if you are only pottering around locally, say 5,000 miles a year in a little ICE car, your petrol would only be costing around £1,000 a year anyway even at £2 a gallon).

(I'm not anti-solar, nor anti-EV, am planning to install panels at home later this year after heat pump has also gone in, however let's not kid ourselves that it makes economic sense at the moment.)

Last edited:
Well yes but that's after you've paid out about £10,000 for a Tesla Powerwall plus several thousand more for the PVs. Also, that pricing scheme only covers up to £9,500 kWh per year, which is less than the average household uses for all energy uses.

As far as charging an EV is concerned, well okay but a keep in mind a Tesla car battery takes 100 kWh (okay you don't necessarily need to recharge it fully each day if you're only doing short distances) whereas a Powerwall stores only 13.5 kWh and your rooftop PVs will even then only be able to replenish that on a sunny summer day. So unless you're only pottering around locally your £15k Solar+Powerwall investment isn't even going to be able to cover your car usage (and if you are only pottering around locally, say 5,000 miles a year in a little ICE car, your petrol would only be costing around £1,000 a year anyway even at £2 a gallon).

(I'm not anti-solar, nor anti-EV, am planning to install panels at home later this year after heat pump has also gone in, however let's not kid ourselves that it makes economic sense at the moment.)

Possibly cost is prohibitive.
Then again, less foreign oil being bought can’t be a bad thing. Baby steps, every little helps…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back