Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Peel off plastic on shelves?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I was about to peel off the plastic with the blue writing on the shelves when I noticed a symbol that looked like "do not peel".

So can you peel off the plastic?

yes I think it is on then for manufacture I took them off our t5 after about 4 years still on our t6 at the moment

I guess the backing probably helps when they are cutting it to size and the do not peel symbol is probably relating to that. What colour are they underneath?

colour light gray

I was about to peel off the plastic with the blue writing on the shelves when I noticed a symbol that looked like "do not peel".

So can you peel off the plastic?
Yes. Purely there for the shelf manufacturing and cutting process pre-delivery.

It's just standard Dibond (ACM). All this type of sheet material comes with protective covering but for some reason (I guess to protect it from scratches) VW don't even bother to remove it which makes it look a bit industrial!

One of my first jobs... remove and put non slip mat on...

Well 5 years in, and you learn something new every day. I'll peel them off tomorrow.

We left it on our shelves as we've put non-slip mats on the top. There's so much stuff on the shelves you don't notice it anyway!

Which non-slip mats do you use. I have some mesh stuff, which is pretty useless, it won't even stay on top of the fridge when opened, it just slides off.

Which non-slip mats do you use. I have some mesh stuff, which is pretty useless, it won't even stay on top of the fridge when opened, it just slides off.
Hi Anthony1,

I have not peeled the white cover off my shelves. I have used an anti-slip plastic matting from Ikea. It is smooth on one side and bobbly on the other. It comes on a roll and is cut to size. A link is below. I think it took 2 rolls to cover the kitchen cupboard shelves.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...helves/variera-drawer-mat-white-art-00238865/

I have not used this on top of the fridge but wouldn’t imagine it would move. I have a heavy fabric placemat on top of the fridge with a tray on top. This can easily slide sidewards on to the glass top over the hob when access to the fridge is needed.

Hi Anthony1,

I have not peeled the white cover off my shelves. I have used an anti-slip plastic matting from Ikea. It is smooth on one side and bobbly on the other. It comes on a roll and is cut to size. A link is below. I think it took 2 rolls to cover the kitchen cupboard shelves.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...helves/variera-drawer-mat-white-art-00238865/

I have not used this on top of the fridge but wouldn’t imagine it would move. I have a heavy fabric placemat on top of the fridge with a tray on top. This can easily slide sidewards on to the glass top over the hob when access to the fridge is needed.

Excellent many thanks

I took off the plastic and used the shelves to cut some templates of the IKEA anti-slip. The plastic is only to cover the material from marks while under production. It's odd that VW does not remove it.

I wonder if those that don’t remove the plastic protection also don’t cook, don’t use the water tank or waste tank hoping to get a good resale price?

I wonder if those that don’t remove the plastic protection also don’t cook, don’t use the water tank or waste tank hoping to get a good resale price?

Like living with the plastic cover on the sofa ;-)

I didn’t remove the plastic coating because I just covered it up. I do cook, use the water tank and waste water in the van. Why would I have the van and not use these? What would be the point?

I didn’t remove the plastic coating because I just covered it up. I do cook, use the water tank and waste water in the van. Why would I have the van and not use these? What would be the point?
Obviously you have missed some of the posts regarding cooking and using the water tank.
There are some who won’t cook because of the smell and won’t fill/use the water in case of ? ? who knows what.

One of the first things I did was to remove this film of all shelves.

We don't bother with non slip stuff on the fridge top. We have a tray which has rubber bumps on the bottom and in the top. Holds on tight while traveling and we keep a chopping board in the tray for travel too. Can use it for her cocktails and drinks etc. Multi use:)

If you are going to stick a non slip matting onto the shelves it's worth leaving the plastic in situ so that if you need to replace the non slip ( I found the one I used absorbed water so had to replace) all you need do is peel off both in one go. I had used a double sided tape which was a bugger to get off!

Back