Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Permitted Towing Weight for a 2022 MY OCEAN 6.1 204 bhp 4 Motion - HELP!

This thread relates to 2022 Built Cali's - Help Required please - as my delivery date looms nearer!

In Nov 2021 I ordered a 6.1 204 4 Motion with the understanding that at that time (from then current Brochure spec 3/8/21) the Max towing weight for a braked trailer was 2500Kg on ALL Cali's. I have a boat / trailer combo that's plated at 2,500kg (although the true weights sits around 2,200-2,300kg). All Good.
My Dealer contacted me recently to inform me that my Cali was going into build last week and will be fitted out next week. Delivery 6 weeks later. Still all good.

I then browsed through the most recent current brochure (1/9/22) to be horrified that under the weight spec pages ALL models of Cali have been DOWNGRADED to their max towing weight, now within a range of 2120Kg - 2,350Kg, incl. This obviously causes me a problem, as I will no longer be able to tow my trailer legally. I need to know the exact permitted weight, not a range as if its at the higher end, I just still may be in with a fighting change if I re-plate trailer or be forced to buy a lighter trailer - something I'm not too keen on due to another expensive outlay and my current trailer has served me well for 7 years.

I have been in contact with my dealer as the brochure small print states that the exact permitted towing weight will vary with options. The only option I added was a removable tow bar and comfort mattress. He wasn't able to provide me with an answer and said he will ask VW brand for a comment. I wait...

I have had a look at other brochures I downloaded along the way and the earliest I can find with the same reduced & 'ranged' towing weights is from the one dated 13/7/22, so this may affect a lot of Cali owners who have recently taken delivery of 2022 models. It may have even been included in the earlier spring version?

I am aware that the V5 log book will provide the exact legal permissible towing weight as currently the manufacturers plate located on the Inside of the front door opening only shows the Gross Veh Wt + 3080 Kg & Gross train weight + 5,300 Kg...the same for every model, although usually you would simply take one from the other to know your braked trailer permitted weight. This doesn't appear to be the case with VW's new approach?

HELP required - Please can ANYONE who has a 2022 built & delivered Cali look at their V5 and let me know their permissible towing weight for the 2022 Ocean 204 & 204 4 motion, both with factory tow bar option preferably. If the dealer cant tell me, then the V5 is the only accurate source of info I have unless I take delivery just to obtain mine from DVLA then its too late!

Thank you all in anticipation - I should be excited about my new arrival - not stressed that it may now not be fit for my purpose! Why oh Why have VW decided to do this now?

Regards, Ian
Hi

My 2022 204ps 4-motion registered also has a 2500 kg braked towing limit.

I don't have a towbar fitted but cannot see why that should significantly affect the towing limit given that the mass in service is 2707kg and max permissible is 3080.

Hi

I don't have a towbar fitted but cannot see why that should significantly affect the towing limit given that the mass in service is 2707kg and max permissible is 3080.
Thanks Reman - You will see from the thread that the later 2022 registered 4 Motion Cali's now have a reduced towing limit of 2300kg. In fact All new Cali's have reduced legal capability, but in view that the Mass in Service, Max Permissible for Vehicle (as you highlight) and Max Train weight (5300kg) haven't changed suggests that VW are just trying to allow Cali owners more available payload weight distribution when towing, which they may not have considerd at the time... eg passengers, luggage to give them a greater safety margin, in this case 200Kg of manoeuvre within the Cali and not within the load of the trailer and contents. So realistically capability hasn't altered , just the safety margins for those people who don't have a weigh bridge on their driveway before they set off :)

Hi

In Fact I stand corrected , the new mass in service has been lowered to 2577 Kg on the new V5 log book for DVLA

In Fact I stand corrected , the new mass in service has been lowered to 2577 Kg on the new V5 log book for DVLA

The actual weight you find it on the CoC. The actual weight, if you will measure it on a weight bridge, for a 204 DSG 4Motion Ocean with hitch, WO Awning and spare tyre will not be less than 2700Kg .

The actual weight you find it on the CoC. The actual weight, if you will measure it on a weight bridge, for a 204 DSG 4Motion Ocean with hitch, WO Awning and spare tyre will not be less than 2700Kg .
Yes, although Technically 2703kg unladen weight from the brochure which always makes me smile when the mass is service is less on the Registration document is less :)

Yes, although Technically 2703kg unladen weight from the brochure which always makes me smile when the mass is service is less on the Registration document is less :)
I'm questioning myself now and getting confused :)
Who can tell me why Mass in Service + 2577kg (from V5 Registration doc) is less than Unladen Weight from brochure + 2703kg?

I'm questioning myself now and getting confused :)
Who can tell me why Mass in Service + 2577kg (from V5 Registration doc) is less than Unladen Weight from brochure + 2703kg?
the + sign was a typo & supposed to signify 'at'