Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing with a 150 ps ocean

california kid

california kid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All.

I currently tow with a 180 California SE, no problems at all, with the lack of 204 Oceans available, and the
Amount of 150 Oceans in the show rooms at present.
My question is do any 150 Ocean owners tow a Caravan or Trailer with a mtplm weight of 1650kg, I have read some previous threads on this fantastic site, and also the towing limits of which appear to be satisfactory.
I have however ask our local van dealership may I borrow a 150 with a tow bar to try,
they are due to get back to me, but may only have a van, which of course is a lot lighter.
As said from a previous thread running costs ect when used solo would make a difference.
Any information gladly appreciated.

Alan.

One of the best ways I've read on here to think about it is, although the 150 is the 'basic' engine in the Call, it's not the lowest powered engine available in the Transporter...

I expect someone will have some real world experience for you though...

We have been dragging an old Avondale van around all summer with what I think is a 150 Ocean (not very technical, but it rings a bell from when we bought it). It tows like a dream.

Hi All.

I currently tow with a 180 California SE, no problems at all, with the lack of 204 Oceans available, and the
Amount of 150 Oceans in the show rooms at present.
My question is do any 150 Ocean owners tow a Caravan or Trailer with a mtplm weight of 1650kg, I have read some previous threads on this fantastic site, and also the towing limits of which appear to be satisfactory.
I have however ask our local van dealership may I borrow a 150 with a tow bar to try,
they are due to get back to me, but may only have a van, which of course is a lot lighter.
As said from a previous thread running costs ect when used solo would make a difference.
Any information gladly appreciated.

Alan.
The 150 should do the job, but where do intend travelling when towing?

Hi WelshGas.

I have been towing for many years, only in the uk, I am interested if 150 owners
Find the new engine similar to the 180 engine in my 2014 SE, I do understand that mine is a twin turbo, while the 150 is a single turbo, the 204 has twin turbo
Any thoughts please. Off to work now .

Alan.

A key factor for towing is torque not power, and both engines deliver almost the same number of torques - 350 Nm for the 204, versus 340 Nm for the 150. So I'd expect they're really pretty similar in terms of towability.

:D:):D:D
A key factor for towing is torque not power, and both engines deliver almost the same number of torques - 350 Nm for the 204, versus 340 Nm for the 150. So I'd expect they're really pretty similar in terms of towability.
Yes, my Defender has 122BHP but pulls like a train due to the high torque output. Thanks for the comparison, did not realise there was only 10 Nm difference.

Thanks for the information Thelma’s Dad, will check VW spec sheet looks very promising .

Hi Thelma’s Dad I have checked the spec sheet for the California.The information VW give is for a 204 TSI - 350
150 PS - 340
204 PS - 450
They also give a higher payload for the 150 PS this will be because the 204 is
Slightly heavier.
The information also states the can pull the same amount.
Our local dealership are trying to loan us a 150 PS with a tow bar so we can compare it to our 180 bhp .
I also forgot to mention our 180 has Manual gearbox, while the 150 we are looking at has the dsg gearbox.
Thank you all for your input.
Out of interest Verity what Model and age is your Avondale, do you know the MTPLM of your caravan.

Alan

Many apologies, I mis-read the brochure. Yes you're quite right the 204 diesel is 450 Nm. I'd been looking at the 204 petrol.

I'll get back in my box, sorry! :oops:

Towed 1800 kg Bailey Cadiz caravan to Portugal and Germany
150 d s g
Superb tow vehicle and 25mpg towing up to65 mpg
Seen how many German reg vans are towing caravans
Very stable

Back