Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

petrol generator into EHU

EddieEagle

EddieEagle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Have had a quick search on here and cannot find anything definitive so.
I am considering getting an inverter genny to plug into the EHU socket. Anyone tried this? Successful?
Would the socket on the end of the cupboard work for kettles, laptops and fans? and finally, would the on board battery charger function properly to top up the leisure batteries?
Only musing on this and am considering solar too but for similar monies would also have a power source for the shed where I keep my etchings!

I can not answer the EHU question but have you considered.
Would campsite allow I have seen some that say no generators use. Have parked up by some who do and found it both smelly and noisy like parking up by an ice cream van. I would prefer solor panel route.

I can not answer the EHU question but have you considered.
Would campsite allow I have seen some that say no generators use. Have parked up by some who do and found it both smelly and noisy like parking up by an ice cream van. I would prefer solor panel route.
Ha ha, like the ice cream van at MeonShore running diesel engine all day!
I take your point however , Thankyou.

Yes it will work fine. Need a quality pure sine machine though like the Honda EU2000 etc. Wont go down well on a campsite though. I have one but never hook it to the cali. Use solar.

Just looking at earthing requirements, sounds like the RCD needs considering.
Would bark up the genny to activate the socket and top up leisure batteries.
There is always the on board motor I already have .......... perhaps running that for 20 mins every 2/3 days??
The issue for me with solar is the added height.

When we bought our van we did consider buying an inverter generator..Probably a Honda which seemed to be the best but at £1200 not exactly cheap......I have to say in the 4 years we have now owned it I don’t think we would have had the opportunity to use it once... Every campsite we have stayed on has had a hook up. We don’t go in for camping in obscure off the beaten track places which would be about the only time it could be used.... Even though they are very quiet you can still hear them and they are not particularly cheap to run... Then it’s the storage they take up a lot of room in a small van with little room to spare...They are fairly heavy ..Security is another thing they need to be locked away if you leave the site.....A real considered purchase...

I have one, used it with the Motor home at track days with the Westfield or when off grid. My mate had a patch of land which we used to go some Weekends but no EHU so was useful no issues with the RCCB, RCD or whatever you wish to call it. I did not need to earth it with a rod either.
Still have it but never use it, in fact its loaned out to a mate who's gone off for six months on his boat to run the washing machine.

"Would the socket on the end of the cupboard work for kettles, laptops and fans? and finally, would the on board battery charger function properly to top up the leisure batteries?"

You've got gas for the kettle
12v For the Fan
Use an inverter for the Laptop - or buy a couple of spare laptop batteries & charge up before you go.

You've already got a diesel powered generator sitting under the bonnet that will charge the leisure batteries.

Any site that would be happy letting you run a genny wouldn't object to you running the engine .

"Would the socket on the end of the cupboard work for kettles, laptops and fans? and finally, would the on board battery charger function properly to top up the leisure batteries?"

You've got gas for the kettle
12v For the Fan
Use an inverter for the Laptop - or buy a couple of spare laptop batteries & charge up before you go.

You've already got a diesel powered generator sitting under the bonnet that will charge the leisure batteries.

Any site that would be happy letting you run a genny wouldn't object to you running the engine .
Plus they take up room and use petrol.

You would have to ask permission but most sites do not allow generators at all. If anyone complained I am sure you would be required to stop. Most sites have written rules si would expect may be able to search on the web for sites that allow.

Noise wise wondering how we all get away with the side door opening and shutting ........

My reason is to have a way of charging batteries on the journeys away from sites for weeks.
Don’t want solar as the rare metal mining is so ecologically damaging .
As is just existing unless a hermit ,

Just looking at earthing requirements, sounds like the RCD needs considering.
Would bark up the genny to activate the socket and top up leisure batteries.
There is always the on board motor I already have .......... perhaps running that for 20 mins every 2/3 days??
The issue for me with solar is the added height.
No added height if you use the flexible panels or the system that Roger Donahugh sells.
I have that and still use 2m height Car Parks without any problems.

No added height if you use the flexible panels or the system that Roger Donahugh sells.
I have that and still use 2m height Car Parks without any problems.
But what help is that for my shed , etchings and failing eyesight .....

But what help is that for my shed , etchings and failing eyesight .....
12v LED Lights, 12v Leisure Battery and a Solar Panel on the Roof, OH and a visit to Specsavers.:thumb

Aldi just did one for £129, sine wave camping inverter, no idea how for that cash (was only 1200watts though) but I was tempted. HOwever unless its a very very quiet/silent one you are just going to annoy your neighbours. Other camping forums have daily posts complaining about people using generators, I decided against it. I appreciate the rare metals consideration too but the only true way to avoid that is to avoid technology too.

Aldi just did one for £129, sine wave camping inverter, no idea how for that cash (was only 1200watts though) but I was tempted. HOwever unless its a very very quiet/silent one you are just going to annoy your neighbours. Other camping forums have daily posts complaining about people using generators, I decided against it. I appreciate the rare metals consideration too but the only true way to avoid that is to avoid technology too.
Yes I did see those in Aldi but wasn’t impressed with the feedback they got...I think with Inverter Generators it really comes down to the more you pay and the manufacturer the better they are...Of all the generators it looks like Honda always come out near the top...But then they are one of the most expensive...If the decibels don’t matter then I imagine one of the cheaper ones would probably be ok..

Trouble is you need lots of wattage to drive the outdoor Cine projectors and THX sound systems! ;)

I used the Aldi one when semi-wild camping. Just ran it for one full tank of petrol everyday to chill the fridge down, charge the leisure and enable the kids to watch a dvd. This was in our Eriba Puck when the leisure battery went flat. The Aldi one works fine for this purpose.

Back