Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electrical hookup not charging leisure batteries - T6 Ocean

F

Fraz

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’ll start by saying that I rarely post, in fact this is my first post on this forum. But, PJ (my van) has me stumped! The short story is, he’s not charging the leisure batteries on EHU. The longer version is I’ve tried following all the suggestions I’ve seen on this topic - up to the limit of my limited expertise - and I’m now sat on my sofa with my van’s ’ladegerat’ (230V AC to 12V DC glorified battery charger) next to me, wondering whether it’s bust. What led up to this:

PJ isn‘t charging the leisure batteries on EHU - the pin symbol does not appear on the control panel.
The 230V socket on the back of the kitchen does work when on EHU.
I can’t find a problem with the RCB in the back cupboard - there are no loose wires behind it, i unpeeled the double sided stick tape to check. The fact the 230V kitchen socket works verifies this, I think.
The leisure batteries charge as expected when the engine is running (from the alternator).
I don’t believe there is a problem with the leisure batteries themselves, when I take PJ for a decent run the control centre claims 80% plus at the end and they fade (I’ve been running the fridge near continuously and the diesel heater (the pump draws intermittent high current I believe)) as you would expect.
The fuses under the passenger seat are all okay… although I have no idea why the battery charger has a 30A fuse - I’m deducing that this fuse is for the charger this from Loz’s posts on this topic as I have no clue!) as well as the 2A fuse located on the charger itself adjacent to the IEC cable Input.
The IEC input cable into the battery charger wasn’t loose. I also tried plugging a spare IEC cable into the charger from the kitchen socket when on EHU, and into but still no charging of the batteries or pin symbol on the console…

So, I‘ve now removed the charger from the van to test it. The thing is, I don’t know how! it has a 6 pin output socket which plugs into the wiring loom. I’ve used a multimeter to test the black and red pins but I get no reading. But would I get a reading, if the other 4 pins have no connection!? I dunno!?

so, if anyone has read this far and can offer offer sage advice on what to do next or some dumb oversight I’ve made, then I would be delighted to be advised! I‘ll be ringing VW first thing tomorrow to find out the cost of a new charger as that’s still my prime suspect. I’ll make sure I’m sat down when I ask the question! The van is just under 4 years old…

Fuses can look ok but really need testing with a meter. Lozs correct about the charger fuse. The rcd has also been know to fail but still operate as if its turning on and off. Try wiring it out and see if the fault clears. Other than loose plugs on the charger you may be correct about the charger blowing. Also try another cable Or test the one your using and your adapter.

Thanks for the response flying banana. The fuse for the heater is I believe clustered (from Loz's diagram) with the roof motor (30A) and the rear interior lights (10A). I tested them and swapped the roof motor (it definitely was for the roof as removing it disabled it) for the charger to remove any doubts about the fuses.

I could try a continuity test of the output wires from the charger but I've no clue as to where they pop out once they enter the loom, plus, I can't see the wiring loom having failed and just affecting the charger. Having said that, I do live rurally, so maybe a wee moose has had a nibble somewhere.

I don't know anything about VW battery chargers but I would still expect it to hum a little, or do something, anything, when I plug it into the mains. I think the simplest thing to do at this stage is swap it in for a charger than I know to be working. Will ring VW this morning and see what the damage is.

Are you certain that you have switched the RCB in the rear cupboard correctly?

The colour coding on the RCB has foxed many.

When it shows RED, this is when the RCB is correctly switched for EHU, and the 3 pin socket is on. You'll also see the plug icon showing on the control panel.

When it shows GREEN, it is switched off for EHU and the 3 pin socket is off.

Last edited:
I'll try to check this today, but, if the RCB is off, then the kitchen socket doesn't work - the socket in the kitchen and the EIC plug to the battery charger both wired to it (I think). My kitchen socket is working. Regardless, I have plugged an IEC cord directly into the charger from my house mains, and still it's as dead as a dodo, in as much as you can tell.

Part cost is £280 + VAT. Not great, but not terrible. I'm just a little surprised that it's failed on a 2018 Ocean. From scanning the threads it used to be a problem when the charger was mounted near the fridge compressor but no reports of failures in newer vans as far as I can see.

I'll try to check this today, but, if the RCB is off, then the kitchen socket doesn't work - the socket in the kitchen and the EIC plug to the battery charger both wired to it (I think). My kitchen socket is working. Regardless, I have plugged an IEC cord directly into the charger from my house mains, and still it's as dead as a dodo, in as much as you can tell.

Part cost is £280 + VAT. Not great, but not terrible. I'm just a little surprised that it's failed on a 2018 Ocean. From scanning the threads it used to be a problem when the charger was mounted near the fridge compressor but no reports of failures in newer vans as far as I can see.
Your not in Warranty I presume?

Your not in Warranty I presume?

WelshGas, unfortunately not, I would have left them to it had it been. Its the first significant issue I’ve had since the warranty expired.

On a positive note it’s been good to learn, I feel more comfortable with a vehicle when I have an understanding of its nuances, and the Cali has a good few! By the way, your previous posts on this topic have been greatly appreciated, thank you.

WelshGas, unfortunately not, I would have left them to it had it been. Its the first significant issue I’ve had since the warranty expired.

On a positive note it’s been good to learn, I feel more comfortable with a vehicle when I have an understanding of its nuances, and the Cali has a good few! By the way, your previous posts on this topic have been greatly appreciated, thank you.
Thank you.
Having the Charger Fail is extremely rare since they moved it from under the fridge, but it can happen.
You could get it repaired. It would have to be someone interested in electronics etc: and if successful sell on eBay to recuperate some of the cost. Just a thought.

Thank you.
Having the Charger Fail is extremely rare since they moved it from under the fridge, but it can happen.
You could get it repaired. It would have to be someone interested in electronics etc: and if successful sell on eBay to recuperate some of the cost. Just a thought.
WelshGas,

I might try to repair it but there was another thread that recommended not doing so - I would have to have a reread to see what the logic was. If I can find a useful local electrician I'll definitely get them to have a look at it.

By the way, when I rang the dealer (Aberdeen) I asked how many times this component has been ordered by them before. The parts guy said, one in 2017 and in 2018. Now, I don't know whether if you had an older van, they would replace it with the current part, or, whether those failures are for T6 Oceans... If they are, failure is not so unusual since Aberdeen only serves, what, 2% of the UK population?

Fraz

WelshGas,

I might try to repair it but there was another thread that recommended not doing so - I would have to have a reread to see what the logic was. If I can find a useful local electrician I'll definitely get them to have a look at it.

By the way, when I rang the dealer (Aberdeen) I asked how many times this component has been ordered by them before. The parts guy said, one in 2017 and in 2018. Now, I don't know whether if you had an older van, they would replace it with the current part, or, whether those failures are for T6 Oceans... If they are, failure is not so unusual since Aberdeen only serves, what, 2% of the UK population?

Fraz
I don't think the charger has changed in any significant way.
The only ones I have seen mentioned were 2 or 3 that had failed due to probably heat damage when they were located under the fridge, pre 2012 Model Year.

Back