Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter Question

Dodge1311

Dodge1311

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
HI,

I looked through the treads but can't find a definitive answer, as most of you know i have a new Ocean on order, I wanted to use the inverter socket to plug in a battery charger, I will be adding 200 watts of solar.

My ebike bosch charger is 230V 1.5amp input and 36V 4amp output. Bosch did make a 12V DC charger for their ebikes but discontinued these some time ago. I am not overly concerned about battery drain in the van , as the ebike never gets much below 80% and i would only recharge in the day when the solar panels are doing their magic.

I can't find any detail to indicate what type of inverter is fitter as standard and if it is changeable. If it cannot cope with this type of battery charging, then my next course of action would be to use an alternate inverter using one of the DC outputs to convert from as i do in my car today but that seems a little foolish when an inverter is already fitted.

Has anyone already tried.

The inverter is rated at 300W. Your charger uses around 350W, so not advisable to use this on the built in inverter.

The inverter is rated at 300W. Your charger uses around 350W, so not advisable to use this on the built in inverter.

The inverter on a T6 is only 150 watts so definatly too small.

I believe that the bosch charger requires a pure sine wave inverter (many items do). In your case, I think you will need a 500watt version.

I bought a Bestek 500W Pure Sine wave inverter to run my Bosch ebike charger. Should in theory have had sufficient power for the charger, but did not actually work, the charger just cycled on and off every 10 sec or so.

Higher capacity / better quality invertors may work but I have my doubts, the bosch ebike chargers seems to be very sensitive to the power source.

Sorry you need to buy a very good quality inverter as many fall short of what's required to maintain ebike batteries.

This is a nice one: Renogy 700W 12V Pure Sine Wave off GRID Solar Home Use Inverter 700 Watt 12 Volt Battery Power Inverter

I charge my brompton ebike battery using the factory inverter, with the engine on idle, and blue motion disabled. It is a 4A rated fast charger, and it draws about 15A from the inverter according to the control panel, when the bike battery is low. It does not trip the inverter unless the engine is off. Surprising but it works fine as I have used it many times without a problem.

I use a Victron pure sine wave inverter 500VA which works fine.Not cheap for a reason.
Hi that's interesting...which battery did you connect it to? under the seat or at the backing the cupboard ? where did you fix it so you can use the plug socket?

Hi that's interesting...which battery did you connect it to? under the seat or at the backing the cupboard ? where did you fix it so you can use the plug socket?

Connected under the front seat. Earth to seat frame and positive to the positive distribution terminal near to the battery. Fitted Anderson socket to the front edge of the seat frame. Plugged in the Inverter as and when i needed it. So inverter sat on footwell. I used the inverter in other vehicles