Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Petrol v Diesel to tow

Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi this is a bit off a California discussion but a VW one and I am sure someone here can give me some idea and technical information.

I am considering changing my old VW sharan diesel automatic, it is getting unreliable and can not go to London without paying ULEZ. One option is a 2018 Petrol automatic version . For a lot more money there a a few diesel automatic euro 6 cars available. I have only ever towed with a diesel engine. Does a petrol engine tow as well as a diesel?

Not too keen on paying more than we need too. It will only be a spare car in case we needed it instead of the van to tow as towing my eriba with the van is so easy. It was easy two with my old sharan but I am not sure about a petrol version. Help please. thanks.

Hi this is a bit off a California discussion but a VW one and I am sure someone here can give me some idea and technical information.

I am considering changing my old VW sharan diesel automatic, it is getting unreliable and can not go to London without paying ULEZ. One option is a 2018 Petrol automatic version . For a lot more money there a a few diesel automatic euro 6 cars available. I have only ever towed with a diesel engine. Does a petrol engine tow as well as a diesel?

Not too keen on paying more than we need too. It will only be a spare car in case we needed it instead of the van to tow as towing my eriba with the van is so easy. It was easy two with my old sharan but I am not sure about a petrol version. Help please. thanks.
It will tow, but Diesel is easier because of the torque profile.
How often will you need to tow? Is it worth the increased cost?

It will tow, but Diesel is easier because of the torque profile.
How often will you need to tow? Is it worth the increased cost?
Thanks . Only if the van breaks down or I have the van somewhere and my husband needs the caravan. I drove 50 MLS each way to look at a car and it got sold while I was on route.

We want a 2nd vehicle that can carry large sheets of wood . Looked at touran too small. Maybe another van is the solution.

Thanks . Only if the van breaks down or I have the van somewhere and my husband needs the caravan. I drove 50 MLS each way to look at a car and it got sold while I was on route.

We want a 2nd vehicle that can carry large sheets of wood . Looked at touran too small. Maybe another van is the solution.
Personally for that sort of usage I would go for Petrol, but if you want the capacity of a van, as a 2nd vehicle , I would consider a , heaven help us, a non-VW make to avoid the scene tax that makes the VW Transporter expensive compared to equivilent sized other makes.

I tow our Eriba Troll with a Honda CR-V. It is a 2 ltr petrol version and copes very well with the extra load. It is a manual car so I do have to work the gears more, particularly going uphill. I switch the car out of economy mode when towing.

Towing with the Cali, which had a DSG gearbox, was a dream though. I miss that.

Alan