Petrol V Diesel

• Thread starter tomdickandharry
  • Start date
T

tomdickandharry

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi

Looking at the way the world is going .... how many people considered the options of the Petrol Version of the Ocean when it was available?
Clearly the mileage would be less good ... but I am afraid that some cit centre may ban Diesel cars in the near future. I realise the new Diesel engines are very clean ... just how is it going to affect our ability to go where we wish.

Do the heaters work as well in the Petrol Versions. Are there other advantages or disadvantages ?

Would be good to hear everyones thoughts

Hi

Looking at the way the world is going .... how many people considered the options of the Petrol Version of the Ocean when it was available?
Clearly the mileage would be less good ... but I am afraid that some cit centre may ban Diesel cars in the near future. I realise the new Diesel engines are very clean ... just how is it going to affect our ability to go where we wish.

Do the heaters work as well in the Petrol Versions. Are there other advantages or disadvantages ?

Would be good to hear everyones thoughts
If your thinking of buying a T6 Cali your be lucky to find one as I believe the only exported 50 to the Uk. Only seen one for sale in the 18 months or so they have been around.

I have a petrol. The heater works the same. I have the 204 TSI which has a higher torque than a 150 TDI but lower than a 204 TDI. In practice with a DSG gearbox thus just means it changes down earlier on hills, and reaches peak torque at a higher RPM. This is not really noticeable. If you want 4WD this was only available on the TDI.
The MPG is significantly lower on the TSI. The advantages for me are that it is nicer to drive, the engine is a bit smoother compared to TDI loaners I have driven. The engine is also relatively simple, no addblue, no dpf, no egr, no Webasto coolant heater, cheaper fuel prices, and less prone to new environmental restrictions proposed in the EU at the moment. The ULEZ in London still allows EURO 4 petrol for example, compared to EURO 6 Diesel.
In time both petrol and diesel will both be banned in cities though.
The TSI California is rare, it was only available new for less than a year. They come up occasionally.

Agree with Lightning's summary here, took some finding but we got a 204 TSI ex showroom demo 2 years ago. Very thirsty if you use 'sport' mode and press on a bit.

I drive like a vicar and get around 33 max on long runs and low twenties around town. This also affects the range per tank, so it’s not just the cost to consider.

One other difference is that the TSI has no cambelt, and no associated cambelt service interval.

One other difference is that the TSI does not have a cambelt or associated cambelt service interval. It has a timing chain.

TSi can be retuned to quite high levels, approaching 300PS I've seen mentioned.

Fuel consumption not mentioned if that power used frequently.

@Lightning @Robert_S
Out of interest, what MPG do you typically get?
Long time since I did a paper tank fill to tank fill test but I recall low to mid twenties running around and high twenties pressing on a bit on an extended autobahn run. I also noticed a difference (on the on board fuel use display) when switching between auto sport and normal DSG on a steady speed run - just for curiosity and non-scientific.

Back