Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Petrol or diesel? Now or wait until June

Are they? We only have the Manufacturers word for that. In the real world, who knows.;)
Fair point, it is a VW! I am hanging on to the belief that no organisation would do the same thing with Nox and particulates. Surely? If they do, i dont think there will be a VW to claim compensation against.

Fair point, it is a VW! I am hanging on to the belief that no organisation would do the same thing with Nox and particulates. Surely? If they do, i dont think there will be a VW to claim compensation against.
I'm not saying they have fudged the figures, just that they are measured under idealist, unworldly conditions. What are the "Real" world figures that you or I can obtain driving around the streets, not some perfect robot in a laboratory.:thumb

I'm not saying they have fudged the figures, just that they are measured under idealist, unworldly conditions. What are the "Real" world figures that you or I can obtain driving around the streets, not some perfect robot in a laboratory.:thumb
Very true but I presume we can only be taxed on the official statistics? Motorists, both petrol and diesel, may well be polluting more or less than they think which does not of course help the original post regarding which to choose. IMO the original post is a very difficult one to answer and possibly impossible to answer as the future is so far from predictable.

Last edited:
I just heared the other day that in Belgium from 2035 on NOT ANY new car sold may run petrol or diesel engines....
Existing verhicles with petrol or diesel will pay higher annual taxes from than on !
Second hand prices will drop to the bottom imo.

Those who wich can translate the text
http://www.demorgen.be/binnenland/tegen-2035-geen-diesel-benzine-of-aardgaswagens-meer-b511c629/

Sounds like a progressive and aspirational policy to try to move car makers more aggressively away from diesel/petrol. A noble idea but these targets are rarely ever reached. As I recall every child in the world is supposed to have a primary school education by 2020.

I just heared the other day that in Belgium from 2035 on NOT ANY new car sold may run petrol or diesel engines....
Existing verhicles with petrol or diesel will pay higher annual taxes from than on !
Second hand prices will drop to the bottom imo.

Those who wich can translate the text
http://www.demorgen.be/binnenland/tegen-2035-geen-diesel-benzine-of-aardgaswagens-meer-b511c629/
Belgium generates about half of its electricity by nuclear power at the moment, the current plan will eliminate this supply before 2025, by happy coincidence that will give them ten years to find a way to keep their transport/heating/lighting systems operational during winter windless nights before the country makes the internal combustion engine redundant.

Belgium generates about half of its electricity by nuclear power at the moment, the current plan will eliminate this supply before 2025, by happy coincidence that will give them ten years to find a way to keep their transport/heating/lighting systems operational during winter windless nights before the country makes the internal combustion engine redundant.

Not just here , polticians all over making statements that they never in a million years can make hard.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Put a deposit down on a diesel t6 ocean on Thursday. dealer said I can switch to petrol once the new variants are released (if I change my mind). At the moment I'm leaning towards sticking with the diesel.

Here's the spec:

- California Ocean SWB EU6 150 DSG
- Indium Grey Metallic
- 17" Cascavel alloy wheels; black diamond
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking
- Leather multi-function sports steering wheel
- Front and rear parking sensors with rear-view camera
- Composition Media Radio with 6.33" touch screen
- Awning (housing and rail in black)
- Green heat insulating glass in cab
- 4 remote control folding keys

Have i missed anything?

Interesting experience trying to get a quote / interest from dealers. Emailed 8 and only 3 showed any real interest.

One final summer with my t25 westfalia and then it's 70 mph, cruise control, and a heater. Can't wait!

Thanks again...

R

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Put a deposit down on a diesel t6 ocean on Thursday. dealer said I can switch to petrol once the new variants are released (if I change my mind). At the moment I'm leaning towards sticking with the diesel.

Here's the spec:

- California Ocean SWB EU6 150 DSG
- Indium Grey Metallic
- 17" Cascavel alloy wheels; black diamond
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking
- Leather multi-function sports steering wheel
- Front and rear parking sensors with rear-view camera
- Composition Media Radio with 6.33" touch screen
- Awning (housing and rail in black)
- Green heat insulating glass in cab
- 4 remote control folding keys

Have i missed anything?

Interesting experience trying to get a quote / interest from dealers. Emailed 8 and only 3 showed any real interest.

One final summer with my t25 westfalia and then it's 70 mph, cruise control, and a heater. Can't wait!

Thanks again...

R
What discount did you get?

Nice spec @Rhic - grey on those wheels will look very smart. Have you missed anything?, impossible to say!

- No-one is overwhelmed by the standard T6 headlights (though probably better than on your T25!), but the LED upgrade is a big cost option

- second sliding window was praised this week by those who have it

- is there still a big brake option? I'd have had that through choice in case I got it chipped later at Pendle

- two remotes & two surf keys would suit me better

There aren't any bad choices really IMO, I only 'needed' DSG & a heater and I was happy.

Climatronic unless it's now standard.
Has the dealer any info on the petrol variants yet?

Nice spec @Rhic - grey on those wheels will look very smart. Have you missed anything?, impossible to say!

- No-one is overwhelmed by the standard T6 headlights (though probably better than on your T25!), but the LED upgrade is a big cost option

- second sliding window was praised this week by those who have it

- is there still a big brake option? I'd have had that through choice in case I got it chipped later at Pendle

- two remotes & two surf keys would suit me better

There aren't any bad choices really IMO, I only 'needed' DSG & a heater and I was happy.
I'm told the 'Surf keys' were taken off the 2017 spec list... I ordered my California in 2016 with those extra surf keys, but come build week in April, I had to either stick with just the two standard keys, or go for the 4.

The standard headlights on our ocean are poor especially in the country lanes at night on Dartmoor. The LED light pack is the one option we regret not ordering.
Our C3 Citroen has much better headlights.

Similar options/colour as our Cali. Climantronic is standard .
We added light & vision pack/anti-roll bars/mudflaps( neater fit when factory option)/removable towbar

Last edited:
The standard headlights on our ocean are poor especially in the country lanes at night on Dartmoor. The LED light pack is the one option we regret not ordering.
Our C3 Citroen has much better headlights.

Similar options/colour as our Cali. Climantronic is standard .
We added light & vision pack/anti-roll bars/mudflaps( neater fit when factory option)/removable towbar
Have you upgraded the light bulbs to Osram Nightbraker or Phillips 130. They made a difference on my SE.

Get what is best for you today. Diesel and petrol will move out in favour of electric but that will take many years. Still there is only one large electric vehicle (Tesla model S) with total crap qc to buy and that is three times the money of a BMW.
I remember when diesel cars without particle filter where doomed, it never happened.

According to Honest John there are ten million diesel cars in the UK so they aren't going to be able to get rid quickly. However now that the government have said its down to local councils I can see that that they will see it as yet another money cow to penalise the motorist and charge for entry into more and more cities.
He also reckons that EU6 diesels are now so complicated with Adblue etc to keep the emmisions down that they will get more unreliable.

Adblue has been around for years in lorries so don't think diesels will disappear soon. As for over complicated vehicles - all new vehicles no matter their power train are over complicated and Teslas break down too. If you worry too much you will never enjoy the freedom the Cali can bring. Good luck.

I guess it depends on how long your going to keep the Cali and also how much cash you want back from it when you eventually sell it.

Once the new petrol engines are released and people are able to test drive them and compare the drives and also the data against deisel will we know what is best....

Until then it's pretty pointless. ..guessing.

I've just ordered a new Cali to beat the price rise and also because I'd deliberated for ages about the spec. Being an impatient old so and so I got fed up of mulling over the various options and just ordered the thing.
The petrol v diesel issue didn't enter my mind to be honest. Assuming the uptake on the petrol option is gradual, it will take a good few years for them to filter down into the second hand market.
That shouldn't depress the resale value of diesels for a good few years hopefully.
I could be wrong but whatever happens, I'm looking forward to years of fun before starting to worry about trading it in for a new one.

I've just ordered a new Cali to beat the price rise and also because I'd deliberated for ages about the spec. Being an impatient old so and so I got fed up of mulling over the various options and just ordered the thing.
The petrol v diesel issue didn't enter my mind to be honest. Assuming the uptake on the petrol option is gradual, it will take a good few years for them to filter down into the second hand market.
That shouldn't depress the resale value of diesels for a good few years hopefully.
I could be wrong but whatever happens, I'm looking forward to years of fun before starting to worry about trading it in for a new one.

I totally agree with this.

Tomorrow volcanic dust may be the new fuel, locust and honey the new superfood and clothes only allowed to be made from recycled plastic bottles. Tomorrow I may also be dead.

Today I have a diesel Cali, every day I use it I cannot stop smiling, time and time again it proves to be either a life or sanity saver at the most unforeseen moments and if tomorrow if I am still dead then I would have arrived at that state with a smile on my face.

If a decent petrol option was available I would have one. It might mean waiting until June, or October, or January, it might also mean waiting until all the teething problems have been resolved, might need waiting until I'm sure it does what I want it to and can be mated to the options I want, then I might have to agonise for months to see if it had as good residuals as a diesel, then I might ............

I might be dead.

According to Honest John there are ten million diesel cars in the UK so they aren't going to be able to get rid quickly. However now that the government have said its down to local councils I can see that that they will see it as yet another money cow to penalise the motorist and charge for entry into more and more cities.
He also reckons that EU6 diesels are now so complicated with Adblue etc to keep the emmisions down that they will get more unreliable.
The bit I would disagree with is the comment that complicated EU6 add blue diesels will get more unreliable. Says who? Where is the evidence of that or is it just unevidenced opinion? Why such negativity? All i know is that mine has relatively good published emission statistics and its very very reliable.

I totally agree with this.

Tomorrow volcanic dust may be the new fuel, locust and honey the new superfood and clothes only allowed to be made from recycled plastic bottles. Tomorrow I may also be dead.

Today I have a diesel Cali, every day I use it I cannot stop smiling, time and time again it proves to be either a life or sanity saver at the most unforeseen moments and if tomorrow if I am still dead then I would have arrived at that state with a smile on my face.

If a decent petrol option was available I would have one. It might mean waiting until June, or October, or January, it might also mean waiting until all the teething problems have been resolved, might need waiting until I'm sure it does what I want it to and can be mated to the options I want, then I might have to agonise for months to see if it had as good residuals as a diesel, then I might ............

I might be dead.

Any niggling doubt about whether I'd done the right thing ordering one now has just been erased with that brilliantly worded post.

So, it's now August. Has anyone test driven a petrol van, or actually ordered one ?

I am deliberating...might just conclude that is doesn't make much difference, petrol and diesel will be both be obsolete one day. In the mean time torque is what pull heavy lumps around, and it's either the 150 TDI or the 204 TSI I think.

Recent tests in Switzerland found that petrol engine emissions contain even more particulates than diesel, and have recommended that all future petrol engines be fitted with particulate filters. These test results are just a few months old. Diesel still seems to be the best option all round. Both fuels are potentially doomed in the long run anyway.

Back