Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pick up my new Cali next week

A

aileen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello again, my new Cali will arrive next week. It is Sand Beige, 140 DSG, F&R sensors, privacy glass, MFSW etc. I am very excited but also a little scared as I know so little about cars in general and have seen a Cali only once. Never driven one.
Last year I wrote that I am an older, retired woman who will be traveling alone. I live in Ireland and plan to live in the Cali about 8 months/year in the warmer southern European countries. Since I know so little I am not starting my trip until I have attended the meeting in May where I hope to get info from the many nice Cali owners there. I know that they will have lots of tips. Please can I get some input on a few questions now?
1. Are there any items that I should consider pre ordering so that Brandrup can bring them to the meeting? I know that there are many accessories but do any of you have favourites?
2. I have never driven in England so this will be the first time. Will it be easy to buy a Tom Tom Sat Nav there? That would help a lot. I hope that the meeting area in Sussex will be easy to reach.
3. When you go over to the Continent is it better to go via Ferry or the Tunnel??? I want to book my continuing journey.
4. Last question - would it be a good idea to go over a few days early and go to stores like Brandrup where I can see the products rather than pre ordering?
Thanks so much for all the help. Looking forward to meeting many of you in May.
Aileen

I'm glad you finally got yourself a Cali.

I like to use the Euro Tunnel for getting to Europe, simply for the speed and convenience.

Brandrup stuff is very good but also expensive so you don't want to rush into anything.

Lots of opportunities for buying TomTom, alternatively you might like to try Amazon and have it delivered to you at home. Buy wisely as many of them currently include lifetime map updates, but equally many don't.

Eileen there is also a Brandrup catalogue in the download section for you to browse :thumb
I bought a Tom Tom Europe from amazon for £60. And like stu said you can have it delivered to your home :thumb

Aileen, how exciting!
So glad that you've got your van sorted, really looking forward to seeing you at the meet :)

My parents recently bought the TT Start 60 -

Amazon

Halfords

Amazon Price Tracking (You can also set an alert here to email you at a certain price) -

amazon.png

It looks like the free maps offer expires on 31st March.

You'll be able to stock up with most of the things you want as you live with the Cali and decide what's essential to you. France is the campervan capital of the world so there's not much you won't be able to buy there. Scratching our heads for California specific essentials Penney and I can only really think of are a roof topper for all weather camping and a windscreen cover for insulation. We have a Mutze topper, and love it, and a Silverscreen windscreen cover, but other brands are available. See threads elsewhere on the forum. Maybe a portapotti would be worth buying in advance, but they are widely available in camping stores. Make sure you have bedding that you are happy with, whether it be duvet or sleeping bag, and we'd recommend something to cover at least the rear bench, as in our older van the fabric marks easily. But this can be an old sheet initially! Other than that, kitting it out as you go is all part of the fun.

Thank you all so very much for your replies. You're all so kind to think about my questions. I looked at Amazon and Halfords for a Tom Tom and on their site too. I don't know when Amazon had one for 60 pounds but now they are 149.90 and 159.90. It is not showing up on the Irish sites but will phone them tomorrow to see if I can get it here. Halford's sounds good as they install but I won't be in England until the meeting in May and by then the map offer will have expired.
Looking forward to seeing you too Linda. Please come over to probably the only Cali with Irish plates.
Chris and Penney, thanks for your kind reply. Do you think that I will need a roof top cover and windscreen as I plan to only camp in warm climates? I live in Thailand during the Winter months.
Anyone out there know the pro's and con's to camping loos???
Thanks Aileen

Hi Aileen........

You made it then......I recall reading about your plans a year or so ago while I was on my 15 month Cali get away through 20 countries mostly wild camping. In warmer climes you won't need the roof or screen covers. The new style VW screen and side window internal screens will be just fine.

Two winters ago I was here at Vila Real De Santo Antonio ( Portugal ) sleeping on the quay in the Cali at the start of my tour, liked it so much that I now have my boat out here in the Marina and am typing this from there. Along the quay there are about 50 campers and just nearby at Monte Gordo there is a good campsite at 8 euro a night........

All countries are fab, Italy in particular, its just fine to wild camp as far down as Rome but any further south be more cautious or use campsites........

Also be wary of the coast from south of Barcelona up to Monaco........

Contrary to what you would expect, Eastern Europe, Turkey, Greece, Sicily, Tunisia are all very safe.

BerndRos, how really nice to hear from you. It sounds as if you are enjoying your adventure so much - it lifts my spirits. Can't believe that camping could be only 8 euros a night. Will definitely go to Portugal. Glad that you are happy there and have your boat.
Thanks for your advice on the roof top cover and windscreen. Surprised that places like Sicily are safe. I am a bit worried to have a new camper and being alone as an older woman. I am sure that it will all work out but for now it is a learning curve. Thanks much for your help.

The point is when wild or free camping as I like to call it..........

I have slept for free in all the capitals of Europe, I go right to the centre and try to sleep near to government buildings etc....that way you have your own security as most of these buildings have security.......

Think as well.......if the streets are not littered with occupant free vehicles that are not broken into, then why would an occupied camper get targeted....?

In the 15 months and 20 countries that I passed through I never ever felt threatened in any way at all apart from being chased late at night in Budapest by a drunk, as I had not been drinking it was easy to give him the slip.

BUT you have to use common sense, if a place does not feel right then move on as if you stay your not going to get restful sleep anyway. Avoid remote spots like the plague for obvious reasons.

I spent at least two months in Sicily and Greece in the winter of 11/12 and free camped 95% of the time.......amazing parking spaces in tiny villages and close to lovely churches. Made use of the free beach showers which were mostly still connected.....right in the centre of Istanbul and only 5 mins walk from the Blue Mosque perfectly safe.......slept at the ruins of Troy and all over Turkey, the people were so hospitable, the Mosques have no issue with you filling the Cali with water from their feet washing places........as for Romania.......amazing place and so very safe.......

Tunisia was a joy, free camping all over and fuel at 42p a litre........went down and slightly into the Sahara.......

Sadly have not used the Cali this past year as work beckons...........

All your info is so welcome. I was wondering about free camping, getting water etc. Could see myself asking farmers about parking in their fields etc. Did you not have to hook up to electricity regularly??? I will want to leave my van in storage each year when I go over to Thailand for 4 months and assume that I will have to find a place that will plug it in for me monthly. If you are in Portugal now did you not drive down in the Cali? Will you be joining in the meeting in Sussex in May? Thanks again.

Nope.....I fly down here every few weeks.......

Did not use hook up....as driving about suffices............

You can leave the van on a campsite in Spain or Portugal fairly cheaply in the winter, on hook up and secure......

Just found the Tom Tom start 60 in Ireland for 189.90 euros and they say that I can then go online and get the maps so that sounds good. Thanks for the info on it.
BerndRos - great to hear that one can leave a van in secure sites on the continent plugged in. You've answered a lot of questions for me. Sorry that you won't be at the meet in Sussex
aileenonroad

Back