Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pickup at the factory in Hannover

CDinFrance

CDinFrance

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Thrilled to announce that there is a new Cali in my driveway! Still almost in disbelief...

Ordered it at the Caravan Salon in Duesseldorf - (just over 16% discount) in Sept and picked it up at the factory las Friday. Wait was exactly 4 months.

It was the salesman at the show who suggested the factory pickup, which apart from a long drive back home was very interesting. We received the temporary plates and German registration card about a week before the pickup, so had our local insurance kick in the day we got the van (they needed the chassis number). We flew to Hannover, and stayed near the main train station. As part of the package, we got a taxi voucher to the factory, which is about 25 mins from the centre.

Arriving at 09:00 you have a nice ‘free’ breakfast in the BULLI bar at the reception centre, then take a factory tour from 10-12 - interesting and quite impressive, although you do not tour the Cali fitting area. Then free lunch at the restaurant before pickup, which for us was at 1PM. We knew the van from rentals, but still spent about 90 minutes with the rep who shows every detail and can answer any question. We got an English manual and demo, but the factory tour was German only and the rep said that only a few non-Germans per year pick up there.

Then is was time for a road trip, which we took over 2 days. We are in France near Geneva so put on just over 1000 Km, a nice steady break-in period for the engine. We have the 204 TSI, and averaged 10.4 litres per 100 Km, which is quite acceptable to me. Glad I got all-season tires as there was rain and slush on the way.

LOVE the ACC, and Car App Connect, which we used as GPS. Tip, get the extra USB plugs.

Retiring in a month. Let the adventures begin!

Great stuff , been to the factory twice including the Cali plant , very intresting indeed .
Would love to have a TSI , do keep us posted on how it runs ....not much petrol Cali's on here..
Enjoy !

Ps: change your personal details now your not "looking to buy " anymore but owner.

Last edited:
Great experience !!
Thanks for sharing.

Nice story. I am waiting for a 204 TSI too. I would also be happy with that fuel consumption. Enjoy the van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you have great times. Not sure re fuel consumption though. Is that reading from display or measured tank to tank? Our loaned caravelle could only achieve 23 mpg (12.3L/ 100km) but nice engine.

Great story and sorry I didn’t look into that option for myself last year... very best of luck and many safe and happy miles :thumb

Hope you have great times. Not sure re fuel consumption though. Is that reading from display or measured tank to tank? Our loaned caravelle could only achieve 23 mpg (12.3L/ 100km) but nice engine.
Outside cities much less traffic/mile on the Continent compared with the UK so not impossible to get better figures but as you say Tank to Tank will give a more accurate consumption.

Thrilled to announce that there is a new Cali in my driveway! Still almost in disbelief...

Ordered it at the Caravan Salon in Duesseldorf - (just over 16% discount) in Sept and picked it up at the factory las Friday. Wait was exactly 4 months.

It was the salesman at the show who suggested the factory pickup, which apart from a long drive back home was very interesting. We received the temporary plates and German registration card about a week before the pickup, so had our local insurance kick in the day we got the van (they needed the chassis number). We flew to Hannover, and stayed near the main train station. As part of the package, we got a taxi voucher to the factory, which is about 25 mins from the centre.

Arriving at 09:00 you have a nice ‘free’ breakfast in the BULLI bar at the reception centre, then take a factory tour from 10-12 - interesting and quite impressive, although you do not tour the Cali fitting area. Then free lunch at the restaurant before pickup, which for us was at 1PM. We knew the van from rentals, but still spent about 90 minutes with the rep who shows every detail and can answer any question. We got an English manual and demo, but the factory tour was German only and the rep said that only a few non-Germans per year pick up there.

Then is was time for a road trip, which we took over 2 days. We are in France near Geneva so put on just over 1000 Km, a nice steady break-in period for the engine. We have the 204 TSI, and averaged 10.4 litres per 100 Km, which is quite acceptable to me. Glad I got all-season tires as there was rain and slush on the way.

LOVE the ACC, and Car App Connect, which we used as GPS. Tip, get the extra USB plugs.

Do you have the Parking Heater - Petrol, and does it work well?

Good timing, thanx for sharing. Enjoy your freedom.

Back