Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pigtail-emission-start/stop-rpm limited all failed

J

JGov

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi,

I had a weird succession of errors on my last trip. T6.1 Coast, 1300 km, brand new.

All went well until a few days ago: the start
stop wasnt kicking in, but my dash didnt show an error. I’m not totally sure but I might have fitted the 7 pin adapter to the 12 pin trailersocket BEFORE the start/stop problem.

We went on a trip, 250 km, bikerack fitted on the towbar and electrics are working well.
Then first the pigtail starts flashing yellow, after a few minutes the ‘Start/stop malfunction’ sign pops up, a little
later the engine emission sign is illuminated
continously yellow and a few minutes later the rpm limited sign. We were driving in the hills for the first time so I cant really say if there was loss of power or not (but I think there was at some point). Restarting a few times
did not help.

I park, get out and walk to the back (keys
out of ignition) and then my both indicator lights flashed for a few times (I did not lock or unlock). And then I recalled it took the dealer weeks and weeks to get the towbar fitted because of ‘difficult electrics’ etc. I unplugged the trailer adapter, then put it all back together, afterwards not a single error. All is well, seems like nothing ever happened, drove another 250 km without any problem.

The van is going in for a recall next week
anyway (Bowden cable problem), they said they’d look at it.

Does anyone have a clue? I am no mechanic whatsover, but I’ve got a sneakin suspicion the wiring of the towbar is faulty.

437E9159-5D32-4E61-979B-36C69CC3F767.jpeg

90F2BE79-567A-47B1-8F5A-8483451C826E.jpeg

5FF07964-CCFA-4A3D-A27A-0CA1AC85B354.jpeg

Hi,

I had a weird succession of errors on my last trip. T6.1 Coast, 1300 km, brand new.

All went well until a few days ago: the start
stop wasnt kicking in, but my dash didnt show an error. I’m not totally sure but I might have fitted the 7 pin adapter to the 12 pin trailersocket BEFORE the start/stop problem.

We went on a trip, 250 km, bikerack fitted on the towbar and electrics are working well.
Then first the pigtail starts flashing yellow, after a few minutes the ‘Start/stop malfunction’ sign pops up, a little
later the engine emission sign is illuminated
continously yellow and a few minutes later the rpm limited sign. We were driving in the hills for the first time so I cant really say if there was loss of power or not (but I think there was at some point). Restarting a few times
did not help.

I park, get out and walk to the back (keys
out of ignition) and then my both indicator lights flashed for a few times (I did not lock or unlock). And then I recalled it took the dealer weeks and weeks to get the towbar fitted because of ‘difficult electrics’ etc. I unplugged the trailer adapter, then put it all back together, afterwards not a single error. All is well, seems like nothing ever happened, drove another 250 km without any problem.

The van is going in for a recall next week
anyway (Bowden cable problem), they said they’d look at it.

Does anyone have a clue? I am no mechanic whatsover, but I’ve got a sneakin suspicion the wiring of the towbar is faulty.

View attachment 62965

View attachment 62966

View attachment 62967
Start/Stop is disabled automatically when anything is plugged into the Towbar electrical socket. Even a 7 pin adapter on its own. There is a microswitch within the socket.

Sounds very similar to stop start error I’ve had on my T6 beach. Went in for first service two weeks ago. Dealer couldn’t find anything. Not done it since feb. Loss of power. And resolved by a restart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start/Stop is disabled automatically when anything is plugged into the Towbar electrical socket. Even a 7 pin adapter on its own. There is a microswitch within the socket.
Of course, that would be logical. One error explained, still 3 to go

Just got charged 210 euro’s for the readout and checkup of these errors. Nothing was found. They tell me ‘if something was found, then the fixing of it would be under warranty’.

Is this normal? I just suspected this would be under warranty as it is e practically new car.

Covid is exploding in my home town, I just came of a long hard shift so I was not in the mood nor had the energy to ask to talk to a manager or whatever.

I noted this when posted and paid attention last week when touring with a bike rack on the tow hitch and plugged in. On a 2019MY 199 4M the stop start stays active when something (an Atera bike rack at least) is plugged in to the towing socket.

JGov,
Just got charged 210 euro’s for the readout and checkup of these errors. Nothing was found. They tell me ‘if something was found, then the fixing of it would be under warranty’.

Is this normal? I just suspected this would be under warranty as it is e practically new car.

Covid is exploding in my home town, I just came of a long hard shift so I was not in the mood nor had the energy to ask to talk to a manager or whatever.
@JGov your van will have the standard warranty + if you have taken the extended warranty. (I think the standard warranty is Europe is three years?) At this stage, please stay safe. This can be sorted out later - and by that time all may have figured out a solution to whatever problem is there with attaching the towbar correctly.

These are issues that can be fixed. I would not worry too much about it right now.

I noted this when posted and paid attention last week when touring with a bike rack on the tow hitch and plugged in. On a 2019MY 199 4M the stop start stays active when something (an Atera bike rack at least) is plugged in to the towing socket.
I stand corrected. It appears VW have changed this on the T6 and T6.1 for such items as Towbar racks/trailers but maybe not for caravans that have a power requirement for a fridge or battery charging whilst connected.

JGov,

@JGov your van will have the standard warranty + if you have taken the extended warranty. (I think the standard warranty is Europe is three years?) At this stage, please stay safe. This can be sorted out later - and by that time all may have figured out a solution to whatever problem is there with attaching the towbar correctly.

These are issues that can be fixed. I would not worry too much about it right now.
I concur. The initial problem has disappeared already, I was just naive in thinking they’d check it under warranty (ie for free). You live, you learn, and while doing so you pay :)

And you are absolutely right, our world has other problems at the moment. First wave in Belgium we were flying blind because there were no covid tests, second wave now and I can test all my patients but they have to wait up to 4 days for the results because the labs can’t follow. 4 days doesn’t seem long but for the virus it’s a couple of lightyears time to reproduce.

On the bright side, when testing patients they at least have the feeling we’re controlling the situation this time (which is obviously not the case). But that sentiment quickly evaporates in the following 3 days when we’re trying to handle the barrage of angry phonecalls.

Way off topic here, my apologies.

Stay safe x