Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Start/Stop ‘Click’

The Mighty Pauls

The Mighty Pauls

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello lovely people!

I have a 2013 4M SE and it seems to have started making quite a loud ‘click’ sound coming from the engine bay when the engine stops via the Start/Stop function (if I stop at lights etc).

I have had the van for a few weeks and although the start/stop function has always worked well (and silently)- it seems to have recently made this noise, like a switch being flicked.

It doesn’t appear to affect functionality, I’m assuming it’s something to do with the switch relay.

Anyone else notice this? Do you think I should get it checked out?

All the best

TMP
Bristol

I think that will be the split charge relay under the passenger seat you are hearing.

Thanks for that Loz! Is there a reason that it has only recently starting doing this. Is it something I should be concerned about?

Appreciate your help.

Following on to @Loz's relay suggestion it could be an early failure warning.

Think that I'd replace the Relay to be on the safe side if the sound is from that.

These things usually happen at weekends when far away from any supplier source.

Mine has made a loud click from new but only under certain circumstances.
It seems to be if the starter battery is fully charged but the leisure batteries are quite flat.

This means the relay clicks the second the stop start operates it’s more noticeable than normal as at that point the engine is not running.

Following on to @Loz's relay suggestion it could be an early failure warning.

Think that I'd replace the Relay to be on the safe side if the sound is from that.

These things usually happen at weekends when far away from any supplier source.

Thanks for this. Is a replacement relay an expensive job?

Much appreciated.

Back