Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ping ! Broken suspension coil

Ewan

Ewan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Anyone else had a suspension coil snap on their van ?

I heard a loud 'ping' at the rear driving home from work, thought I'd run over something then didn't think anything more about it. Then next day I wondered what the high pitched rattle was. The bottom of the coil had sheared clean off and was hanging around a pipe, rattling against the exhaust.

Luckily the local VW car garage advised it was safe to drive - slowly - home. The RAC took my van to the Edinburgh van centre on the back of a truck and it's been fixed under warranty. A not uncommon fault on cars and vans apparently but a first for me.

Can't fault Vw Roadside Assist - RAC were there in 90 mins and they organised a replacement vehicle immediately.

Yes just replaced passenger side rear spring on my 08 Cali, sheared through two coils up from the bottom. This could well be the pot holes around my area or could it be because there is greater weight on this side, cabinets etc?
Lovin' the Cali in this weather.
Ewan

I wonder if this is directly related to pot holes or speed humps ? I've now had the rear suspension coil break on the driver's side rear. I didn't realised but Edinburgh Van Centre found it at the most recent service. Another £160 I wasn't bargaining for ...

Am I just unlucky or is it the speed humps near my house ??

My previous Cali had a broken o/s rear I didn't even know about until I took it in for service. I believe it had gone on the pigtail near the (top? or bottom?) and that was why it wasn't apparent... seems to be quite common on modern vehicles I believe.

Ewan we are lucky the speed humps up our road can be straddled by our Cali but potholes are another story.

Back