Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pioneer DNX521DAB

O

Overthehorizon

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi- Newby here.
Having just picked up our new Cali ( new to us - in fact a 2015 140psi manual) and completing our first trip to Croyde for a couple of nights i have a few questions im looking for help on if you can.

The first relates to the head unit that is in the vehicle - Pioneer DNX521DAB.
As i understand this is an upgraded head unit to the original one and does appear to have allot of functions.
My question has two parts:

A) It has Garmin Sat Nav pre installed but during our trip there was no traffic notifications etc that i could see. Do i have to subscribe to Traffic on this unit or is this a setting in the Unit itself.

B) In the glove box there is a lead that runs back into the dash towards the head unit and this is a USB port.
I have tried to plug my i phone into this USB but nothing happens.
I understand this unit may not be compatible with later I phones only early models is this why nothing happens?
If so i guess if i get hold of an older iphone / ipod it could work.
I wanted to play Spotify via this USB through the unit so not sure now if this is possible.

Any help would be great.

Other than that its great to have a Cali :)

Hi- Newby here.
Having just picked up our new Cali ( new to us - in fact a 2015 140psi manual) and completing our first trip to Croyde for a couple of nights i have a few questions im looking for help on if you can.

The first relates to the head unit that is in the vehicle - Pioneer DNX521DAB.
As i understand this is an upgraded head unit to the original one and does appear to have allot of functions.
My question has two parts:

A) It has Garmin Sat Nav pre installed but during our trip there was no traffic notifications etc that i could see. Do i have to subscribe to Traffic on this unit or is this a setting in the Unit itself.

B) In the glove box there is a lead that runs back into the dash towards the head unit and this is a USB port.
I have tried to plug my i phone into this USB but nothing happens.
I understand this unit may not be compatible with later I phones only early models is this why nothing happens?
If so i guess if i get hold of an older iphone / ipod it could work.
I wanted to play Spotify via this USB through the unit so not sure now if this is possible.

Any help would be great.

Other than that its great to have a Cali :)
Alot of older Kenwoods will not work with Iphones as they were designed to work with Android phones only.

Best option is to replace the unit for a new one with Apple wireless car play, then you be able to use your phone satnav on the unit, so then you get free live map updates, traffic info, Whatsapp, Spotify, Siri (so no need to touch unit whilst driving, just read out destination, spotify artist, whatsapp message etc).

Alot of older Kenwoods will not work with Iphones as they were designed to work with Android phones only.

Best option is to replace the unit for a new one with Apple wireless car play, then you be able to use your phone satnav on the unit, so then you get free live map updates, traffic info, Whatsapp, Spotify, Siri (so no need to touch unit whilst driving, just read out destination, spotify artist, whatsapp message etc).
Hi - i was looking at this option as my next step.
Seems there is a huge range of options form a £300 - £1500 depending on how advanced you want to go.
Having read the instructions that vmaxkiddy sent it seems the Kenwood doesn't support bluetooth from any apple newer than an iphone 5c and same story for using an iphone for playing music.

So look like a new head unit is the way to go as you advised.
Many Thanks
Ian

Back