Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Planning to buy 61 Plate Berghaus - or am I?!

J

Jimgee

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Thanks for having me! I’ve just paid a deposit on a 76k mile 61 plate Berghaus (180 BiTurbo) and spent 10 minutes on here and started thinking this is a bad idea due to the EGR issues which I knew nothing about until coming here. Simple question - is this purchase a bad idea? Thanks

Thanks for having me! I’ve just paid a deposit on a 76k mile 61 plate Berghaus (180 BiTurbo) and spent 10 minutes on here and started thinking this is a bad idea due to the EGR issues which I knew nothing about until coming here. Simple question - is this purchase a bad idea? Thanks
Hi Jimgee,

welcome, you will receive conflicting information from the members here.

The information is out there for you to do your own research fully and make an informed decision based on your risk adversity

My focus would be ;
Trade or Private sale ?

is the van cheap enough and in generally good condition to warrant the purchase vs the risk of future potential issues. (New engine £8k ish)

Not all 180 Bi turbos are / will be affected, it appears to be a lottery, so with that in mind, if I was going to proceed with the purchase, can you secure a guarantee from the seller (assuming Trade) that the van does not use oil (backed by a suitable written warranty) to cover the potential risk for a period of time ?

there is a face book page on the subject, maybe worth a look, but remember that most of the people on that forum have been affected by the issue.

a compression test would provide further insight into the condition of the engine.
potetially use AA for full inspection, this give you a little bit of cover ! (DYOR)

Good luck in whatever you decide :cheers

You could share the registration number on the forum; it might have previously be owned by a forum member who may have some info.

I would say before you finally commit to buying the vehicle do a bit more research. There have been some problems with these in the past. Is there any documentation with the vehicle to suggest the EGR has been replaced. Better safe than sorry...

Back