Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plastic surround for water and hook-up sticking out at front

sleepyjoe

sleepyjoe

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Has anyone had the problem that I'm experiencing with the leading edge of the plastic surroud (electrics and water filler) sticking out? Mine would appear to have no fastenings to hold it in place.!!!

Re: Plastic surround for water and hook-up sticking out at f

sleepyjoe said:
Has anyone had the problem that I'm experiencing with the leading edge of the plastic surroud (electrics and water filler) sticking out? Mine would appear to have no fastenings to hold it in place.!!!

Yes, we had the same problem when we bought our SE back at the end of last year.

There are two plastic pillars at the front of the moulding that pass through the body and are retained using self cutting nuts.

It appears that these pillars can break off and over time the plastic moulding around the water filler straightens (probably due the heat from the sun) and sticks out at the front. The empty holes in the body that the pillars pass through, will allow water to enter the Cali at the back.

I bought a replacement surround from my local dealer and replaced the whole part. Bit of a fiddle, but perfectly possible with care and patience. Took me about an hour once I had thought it through carefully. My main worry was dropping the nuts and losing them into the depths of the van.

Alan

Thanks Alan, that's exactualy what's happened to mine. So next step is to order the part and watch my nuts!! :lol: (did you have to order replacement nuts as well?) :crazy

Joe

Yes I did.

I can write a guide and find the part numbers for you too, but not now as I am just about to go out. Will sort this out for you when I return.

A

Use blue tack like i did and no problems since !!!!!!!!!!!!

John :censor

IT would appear that the plastic VW use to manafacture recyclable plastic parts on these vehicles today is very poor.
I remember pulling lots of plastic trim off in my youth in order to install speakers etc and never did i break one.
I had the need to remove a door pillar trim last week and the damn thing split as soon as i touched it :cry:
Modern materials , don't get me started :headbang

The part numbers are:-
1 off Panel, (called Neck) 7E7068351 £13.08
2 off Nuts, N10669001 .36p each
Total £13.80 plus VAT
prices as at January 2014 purchased from Breeze, Poole. Parts are non stock so will need to be ordered, but only took 5 days for me.

This exterior panel lies between the rear cupboard and the wardrobe. Best access is via the wardrobe. You might like to move the rear seat fully forward to ease access. Also putting the roof up helps.

The panel at the bottom of the wardrobe needs to be removed. Unscrew the 3 x plastic buttons (an Allen key fits I recall) and lift out the panel.
The sliding window panel will need to be fiddled about to release the lower panel.
This exposes the back of the filler panel and you can the undo one of the jubilee clips that hold the link filler pipe between the neck of the exterior inlet and the water tank. There is a smaller diameter rubber overflow pipe that just pulls off.

Outside, lift the socket cover and remove the 4 x Torx retaining screws.
The socket can be fiddled out and will hang on its cable.
Beneath the foam cover over the power cable is a plug and socket. Find the release clips and pull these apart.
There is a longer earth cable mounted on a bolt to the van body just up inside to the right. Using a socket with a short extension or a ring spanner, loosen the nut and then remove it carefully with your fingers. Don't drop it!
There appears to be some form of plastic retaining ring which the earth cable is located under. This has a split in it to enable you to slip the earth cable under it.
Working with touch here, but taking a photo with your phone may help.

The panel can be removed. This may need you to pull quite a lot to separate the inlet neck off the connecting fill pipe

You will probably want to clean the body before fitting the new panel.

Reverse the process to refit by bolting back the earth cable once you have threaded it through the panel and under the retaining ring.
Gently push the panel in place ensuring the inlet neck is locating correctly on the filler pipe.
Thread and reconnect the power cables. These will only fit one way so you won't reverse the phases.
Pull the foam cover back in place.

Fiddle the power socket back into place and use the screws to hold it in place so that the two plastic studs are through the relevant holes.

Inside.
Very carefully start the self tapping nuts onto each stud one at a time. A dropped one will not be able to be retrieved (you may like to buy 4 of these as they are cheap, just in case) Getting someone to hold the panel against the body outside will help.
Use the right size socket or ring spanner to very gently tighten each one so that the panel just pulls onto and seals against the body. Care is needed here so that you do not over tighten the nuts.

Outside
Tighten the 4 Torx screws

Inside
Tighten the jubilee clip and refit the overflow pipe
Replace the wardrobe and window panels by just pushing the fixings in place with your thumb.

A relatively simple job which just needs a little care and time. All will become clearer once you have removed the wardrobe panel.

Good luck

Alan

Alan great just what i was looking for, a job for a warmer day than today!!

The search function works well...that was over 4 years ago.

Am glad it is still helpful.

Alan

Hi Alan
Parts arrived today and successfully fitted following your excellent step-by-step guide above. Prices now £14.29 - Neck and - £0.47 Nut, but probably saved an hour VW labour charge so a result. Only other observation there were two other wires connected to the earth stud (no idea what they do as they were red/brown?) so just make sure you get them all back on the stud again as its a bit fiddly.

Love this forum would not have had the confidence to attempt this without it.
Kelvin

Hi Alan
Parts arrived today and successfully fitted following your excellent step-by-step guide above. Prices now £14.29 - Neck and - £0.47 Nut, but probably saved an hour VW labour charge so a result. Only other observation there were two other wires connected to the earth stud (no idea what they do as they were red/brown?) so just make sure you get them all back on the stud again as its a bit fiddly.

Love this forum would not have had the confidence to attempt this without it.
Kelvin
Thanks for the nice comment. I am glad it all worked so well.

Alan

Great description! re power. Will turning the fuse board off suffice for cutting power or do you need to disconnect the leisure batteries too?

The part numbers are:-
1 off Panel, (called Neck) 7E7068351 £13.08
2 off Nuts, N10669001 .36p each
Total £13.80 plus VAT
prices as at January 2014 purchased from Breeze, Poole. Parts are non stock so will need to be ordered, but only took 5 days for me.

This exterior panel lies between the rear cupboard and the wardrobe. Best access is via the wardrobe. You might like to move the rear seat fully forward to ease access. Also putting the roof up helps.

The panel at the bottom of the wardrobe needs to be removed. Unscrew the 3 x plastic buttons (an Allen key fits I recall) and lift out the panel.
The sliding window panel will need to be fiddled about to release the lower panel.
This exposes the back of the filler panel and you can the undo one of the jubilee clips that hold the link filler pipe between the neck of the exterior inlet and the water tank. There is a smaller diameter rubber overflow pipe that just pulls off.

Outside, lift the socket cover and remove the 4 x Torx retaining screws.
The socket can be fiddled out and will hang on its cable.
Beneath the foam cover over the power cable is a plug and socket. Find the release clips and pull these apart.
There is a longer earth cable mounted on a bolt to the van body just up inside to the right. Using a socket with a short extension or a ring spanner, loosen the nut and then remove it carefully with your fingers. Don't drop it!
There appears to be some form of plastic retaining ring which the earth cable is located under. This has a split in it to enable you to slip the earth cable under it.
Working with touch here, but taking a photo with your phone may help.

The panel can be removed. This may need you to pull quite a lot to separate the inlet neck off the connecting fill pipe

You will probably want to clean the body before fitting the new panel.

Reverse the process to refit by bolting back the earth cable once you have threaded it through the panel and under the retaining ring.
Gently push the panel in place ensuring the inlet neck is locating correctly on the filler pipe.
Thread and reconnect the power cables. These will only fit one way so you won't reverse the phases.
Pull the foam cover back in place.

Fiddle the power socket back into place and use the screws to hold it in place so that the two plastic studs are through the relevant holes.

Inside.
Very carefully start the self tapping nuts onto each stud one at a time. A dropped one will not be able to be retrieved (you may like to buy 4 of these as they are cheap, just in case) Getting someone to hold the panel against the body outside will help.
Use the right size socket or ring spanner to very gently tighten each one so that the panel just pulls onto and seals against the body. Care is needed here so that you do not over tighten the nuts.

Outside
Tighten the 4 Torx screws

Inside
Tighten the jubilee clip and refit the overflow pipe
Replace the wardrobe and window panels by just pushing the fixings in place with your thumb.

A relatively simple job which just needs a little care and time. All will become clearer once you have removed the wardrobe panel.

Good luck

Alan
I’ve just completed this process, rather fiddly but made easy thanks to your great advice Alan. Thank you very much!

Back