Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plastic trim before awning rail fell off

E

El&Ed

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello, I am hoping somebody can help me. I’ve just noticed that this piece of trim has fall off. What is this part called? It appears that the rubber has degraded a bit. Can I buy a new rubber? If so is it an easy job remove the old one and stick the new one on? In reality is this a job for the VW garage or even my very helpful local mechanic? My van is no longer under warranty.

Many thanks

El

Hi El&Ed

can you post another picture similar to the one below ?

it looks like you have had some additional sealant applied ?

AEA7AF5F-204E-4032-A215-3DEBB0A5AFDA.jpeg

The part number of the plastic trim that has fallen off is on the part itself :

7H7875315

the part is complete and intact (in your photo)

it is bonded onto the body shell

however it looks like you’ve got a bit more going on than just a trim falling off?

what is the black mastic extending across the front of the cap ?
what is the item that looks like a plastic / rubber seal ? (Highlighted in the marked up photo with the red arrow)

have you had the van since new ?

F4728A38-DC80-4E0B-ACE6-4730F7197B9C.jpeg

@El:
On your photo it looks like there's something wrong with your spoiler too.
The front spoiler shows a gap between itself and the rubber seal on the pop top.
Moreover it seems that the flat part of the rubber seal is torn.

Have you possibly had an accident with a tree branch?

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

The part number of the plastic trim that has fallen off is on the part itself :

7H7875315

the part is complete and intact (in your photo)

it is bonded onto the body shell

however it looks like you’ve got a bit more going on than just a trim falling off?

what is the black mastic extending across the front of the cap ?
what is the item that looks like a plastic / rubber seal ? (Highlighted in the marked up photo with the red arrow)

have you had the van since new ?

View attachment 104269
I reckon the bit that your arrow is pointing at is a bit of sealant, moulded by the plastic trim.
Await the OP’s feedback!

I bought the van from a dealership with only 700miles on it. So pretty much new. It was some sort of demo van. It’s not had any tree branch accidents under my watch.

The part that Perfectos is pointing to is a hard bit of plastic, not rubber and it is hanging on by a thread.

I think this is beyond my capability and I need to take her into VW. It sounds like it isn’t a common thing to come off.

Thank you all for the input.

Same thing happened to one side of mine ~8 years ago after I had the roof fix done. (Original fix where the whole frame was removed & front spoiler was replaced).
With all the hassle and time with the bodyshop over the roof I didn’t trust them to do any better job than I could so bought some adhesive sealant (Tiger seal or Sikaflex) and did it myself. Remove all the old stuff, clean and degrease the metal and plastic before applying. clean away any excess and hold in place with some tape (on the windscreen end) while it cures.

Same thing happened to one side of mine ~8 years ago after I had the roof fix done. (Original fix where the whole frame was removed & front spoiler was replaced).
With all the hassle and time with the bodyshop over the roof I didn’t trust them to do any better job than I could so bought some adhesive sealant (Tiger seal or Sikaflex) and did it myself. Remove all the old stuff, clean and degrease the metal and plastic before applying. clean away any excess and hold in place with some tape (on the windscreen end) while it cures.
Mine too came off, ( amazing, nearside one as well) hadn’t been hit by anything, came off in my hand when I was washing the van.
LuckilyI had an extended warranty.

SMG Cowfold helped with the claim to VW and replaced it

Thank you for this, after ignoring it for a while I have now ordered a new part, spurred on by a £270.25 quote to fix it at VW!
What did you use to take the old rubber and adhesive off?

Thanks

Thank you for this, after ignoring it for a while I have now ordered a new part, spurred on by a £270.25 quote to fix it at VW!
What did you use to take the old rubber and adhesive off?

Thanks
Its a long time ago now but think most of the old sealant was on the plastic part and could be pealed off. Might have very carefully used a sharp chisel (cut towards the area that will be covered ). If there are any big 'blobs' to be removed then dental floss used in a sawing motion would be worth a try. (removed other trim using floss in the past).

Back